Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Started my "Garaj-Mahal" project today. Here are some "Before" pictures. As you can see, it's not that I have a lot of clutter or a big mess, I'm just going to make it a much slicker finished space. (the barn board stacked on the floor is to panel the bare walls, which I started on yesterday...) more to follow.

·
Registered
874 Posts
lots of potential

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
God, I wish I had that to start with!!!!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I'm pretty excited about the project, have lots of plans. I've spent the last two days moving as much stuff as I could out to the little shed then installing the barn board on the exposed walls. I've got about 85% of that up now and it's looking good.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
excellent! Almost more fun making the environment one works in better than making the toys go....

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Felix said:
Ok, question... why are 95% of garages that I see in america (you folks and on other sites) your walls are set but not painted? Is it some sort cost cutting for builders? I'm interested since I'm in the trade...

Felix
Yes!

Its all about money in the US!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
deffinately lots and lots and lots of potential in there :p Pics as you go along!
LAWN CHAIRS

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
there is nothing better than you own space. Is it going to be an alter to the motorcycle? Are you getting a lift. Or are you making it a general Man cave with TV and comfy seating?

PICS as you go .

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Felix, the last thing to usually be finished in a house is the Garage, even basements get done before the garage. Another big reason why builders leave the garage unfinished is because most people don't care what it looks like, or if it's insulated, and it gives the owner a wonderfully clean slate to make it into whatever they want. I know a lot of gear-heads which use it to build sweet garages, and most other people just leave them as is... The plastic is to form a moisture barrier between the dry-wall and the insulation..... Dry-wall is a bitch...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Adding to Spooph's post, you will usually only see walls that are the back side of the living space sheetrocked for firewall code cheap bastards.

When I am showing houses and I see a fully finished garage ( with professional sheetrock work) and cabinets and an epoxy finish on the floor. I say Sweet Jesus look at this garage" they look at me like I am a nut..

Anyone can have granite counter tops ...but an epoxy red floor.... that's only for the special people ")

If we can figure out how to get everything out of the garage for a week we woud do that too!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Down here in Hell, I haven't seen an un-finished garage in years. Most have cabinets, and a few have air conditioning. Minimum equipment for a "cave" is the beer tapper, and a 40" big screen.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
too big, not enough oil stains... I bet those vehicles have less miles on them combined than I have on my ninja.... Still pretty to look at though.... :p

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I finished installing the barn board. Covers the front part of both side walls and the few feet above the door. Got my work bench re-installed and a few more items cleared out/thrown out. I put bulb spliters in my bare light sockets too, lets you put 2 bulbs in the one socket and with the low watt CFLs, you double your lights with no problems. Cheap too, got 2 units for 7 bucks.)

Next step: prepping the bare drywall for priming and then painting.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts