Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my 250r se for about two weeks now, i live in las vegas so the mornings aren't too cold (68 degrees), at least not yet, in dec. it may be 40 degrees in the morning.

1. how long should i keep it running before i actually move? my buddy said to feel the exhaust wind, if its not cold anymore then i can go.... true or false?

2.i think my choke cable isn't working properly,... whenever i apply it half way nothing happens (idles at 1300rpm), it only goes up to 3000rpms when i have the choke lever on all the way, when i push it back to half way it goes back to 1300rpms, does this sound right on to y'all?

thanks ;D

G

·
I let my 250 warm up for 5 minutes before riding.

Choke seems to be working properly, the choke is the feature that I dislike most about the 250. Leave the choke on about half way until the engine is warmed up, then after it's warmed up you'll hear the engine running hard so then pull the choke all the way back in and you're set.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i have the choke on half way nothing happens, so i always have to pull it 100% on, does this sound normal or do i have to do an adjustment with the cable?

G

·
It sounds like you may have to adjust the choke cable, but I've never had to or have the proper info on doing so.

When I start mine, I have to play with choke to get it in the range that is between not knocking off but not high reving. Then I just leave it for 5 minutes to warm up, then when I return, it's usually high reving so I turn the choke down some or all the way down before I start riding.

Also do a complete read though of your owners manual, it will help, you will learn things.

How does it work when the choke is pulled all the way out? Does it start? Does it seem like it wants to knock off? If so you need more fuel so you will have to tighten the choke cable up. That's my best guess.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah this morning i tried not to turn the choke on but it almost died, so i pulled it 100% on. i wonder if tightening the choke cable is in the manual., ill research online. thanks madmax

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
prometheus said:
1. how long should i keep it running before i actually move? my buddy said to feel the exhaust wind, if its not cold anymore then i can go....

true

2.i think my choke cable isn't working properly,... whenever i apply it half way nothing happens (idles at 1300rpm), it only goes up to 3000rpms when i have the choke lever on all the way, when i push it back to half way it goes back to 1300rpms, does this sound right on to y'all?

Sounds like it needs to be tightened a bit

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is an in-line cable adjustment near the handlebar.
Choke Cable Free Play should be: 2 - 3 mm (0.08 - 0.12 in.)
•Push the choke lever back all the way to its released position.
•Pull the choke lever until the starter plunger lever at the carburetor touches the starter plunger; the amount of choke lever travel is the amount of choke cable play.
•Loosen the locknut , and turn the adjuster until the cable has the proper amount of free play.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry to be a pest about this ;D, but the stealership wants $100 to adjust my choke cable, is there anyone here who can show me by pics or video how to do this, i tried to figure it out going by what exit3 said, i opened the case on the handle bars with all the wires and saw how the choke lever pulls on the cable, but still couldn't find any adjustment screws or whatever, praises to anybody who can help.

thanks

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Keep looking on scribd. there is a down loadable one cause I have it on my computer. lol keep looking I think hi-tech also made a thread about that. too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts