Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the March '09 issue of Sport Rider, there is a really nice article about 250 racing. In the article, they talk about how one racer modified his stock rear shock by adding a piggy back reservoir. This allowed him to adjust rebound and compression damping. However they didn't really go into detail with this mod.

Does anyone know anything about this? This seems like a really nice mod to look into. Would certainly offer a cheaper solution to the Works Performance shocks that a lot of people have gotten over the years.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
thats a pretty sweet shock! i want one

·
Registered
331 Posts
You can try this.

http://www.wilbersusa.com/yss-shock-absorbers.htm

But I dought they will have one.It's a pretty new release.I can tell you heeps of stories about YSS.They use my bike to make the prototype.Hard to believe but it's true.And that 1st ever made shock absorber by YSS for Ninja250 is still on my bike today.Show you some pic.

These are the two guys behind the project.One is Australian the other Swiss.I'm beside them watching

The prototype in my bike

This is when they fool around with the front forks.Also prototype.

These two mechanic put in,take out the chock for adjustment many times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Penske makes a shock for the 250 with remote resovoir and compression rebound/ride height adjustability. $800. it's probably better than the bike needs.

Traxxion Dynamics will respring/revalve the OEM shock for about $350. No compression/rebound adjustablity, but given TD sets the shock up for your weight and riding style, you don't really need it. IMHO, this is a much better option than the Works Performance shock at $400; the WP shock is old "ball-valve" technology, seriously outdated since about 1980. Better than the OEM, but not by much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Eric-

from the pictures it looks like you've also had your forks resprung.

how does the bike feel with the shock and the resprung forks?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Generic said:
Eric-

from the pictures it looks like you've also had your forks resprung.

how does the bike feel with the shock and the resprung forks?
The rear shock is very comfi compare to the std one but not at all mushy.You can adjust the preload and the

rebound to your likeing.

YSS didn't resprung my forks.They revalve them.Still useing the original springs.They insert a small PD VALVE(don't know what PD stands for).You can see one of them on the pic on the right next to the spring.These PD valves are adjustable for bound and rebound.The std Ninja front sus is a bit to soft and those valves will make the forks firmer.
Better show some more pic of the valves.

PD VALVES

They went on between the spring and the original valve stem

·
Registered
28 Posts
Eric-

They are what are called "cartridge emulators." They make your damping rod forks work like cartridge forks.
Racetech invented them some years ago. They are a great upgrade for the 250 forks,

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
that looks really good. what do they set you back?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Like I said,it was a prototype.YSS used my bike as a guinea pig.So it was free.

They, anyhow,released there new Ninja250 shocks with subtank into the local market for 16000Baht( 457US$)rear.2000Baht(57$) for the PD valve front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts