Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll start off with saying that if this were any other forum, I would probably not be posting this. I am surprised at how embarrassing it is to tell other people that I crashed my bike. It was a stupid lack of concentration that was 100% my fault and now I am paying the price.

This story starts off like any other. Beautiful 70 degree day, not a cloud in the sky, and to make things better, I got the day off of work. My plan was to ride the whole day and be back before sundown as I still only have my learners permit. Starting north from St. Paul I went up through rush city using county roads since my learners permit forbids me from riding on freeways. When I hit Rush City I decided to hook a right into Wisconsin because I heard they have some pretty nice curvy roads along the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers. As soon as I crossed the border I turned south on West River Road. It was a great road to ride on with turns and hills and very little traffic. This is where the trouble started.

First off, I was going way too fast. I was going at least 60-70mph on the straight-aways with the occasional blip up to 80. When I saw oncoming cars I’d slow down to 40 or 50mph which wasn’t that unreasonable on those stretches. And that’s when it finally happened. I on a straight stretch of road I saw this red pickup truck coming my way so I slowed down and moved over in my lane to give him some room but I banked to the right a little too aggressively and suddenly found myself veering off the road. As soon as I passed the truck I tried to crank the bike back to the center of my lane but by then it was too late. My front wheel came off the pavement and I stopped leaning to tried to straighten up to ride it out over the gravel/grass. I didn’t get far as you can imagine before the bike started bucking wildly. The bike tipped to the left and I got to see what hitting the pavement/gravel at 40-50 mph feels like. (here’s a hint, it hurts ) After grinding to a halt I sat up and checked out my injuries, to my surprise I was fine!

My gear was as follows:
Helmet: Scorpion exo-700 – not a scratch on it. Must have kept my head up.

Jacket: Bullet brand leather jacket- really scratched up elbows and stomach.

Gloves: Teknic Chicane full gauntlet gloves- completely shredded but my hands are fine

Legs: ICON knee/shin field armor over blue jeans- jeans are a little ratty but the ICON stuff saved my left knee from the impact of the road and being dragged underneath the motorcycle.

Boots: heavy leather work boots- toe is scratched but my ankles are fine.

The only real injury I have is the tip of my left index finger is pretty bruised from the sheer impact of hitting the ground at that speed. Over all I am extremely happy with how my gear preformed. This is a very clear cut example of how gear, even the cheaper stuff, can pay off big in the end.
Thinking back on it the major factors that contributed to my crash were:

Inexperience - If I had practiced evasive maneuvers at higher rates of speed I feel like I could have pulled out of it and avoided this whole situation
Speed- simply put, if I was going slower my brain would have been able to process that I was going off the road way sooner.
Fatigue- this was my third 100+ mile road trip in as many days. For my experience level, I think I was pushing it a little. I also would have been more on the ball when it comes avoiding obstacles
Inattentiveness- Of all the stupid ways to wreck your beloved bike, driving off a straight fucking road has to be in at least the top 3. Above all else, I should have been paying more attention. ‘nuff said.

In conclusion, I lucked out and escaped any injuries. I’ll have to pay out big in insurance, new gear and repairing the bike. But that’s fine if you ask me. And you can bet your ass that my next set of riding gear will be the best money can buy. I hope you guys can learn from my mistakes and avoid having to go through any of this yourself.
Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey I'm glad that you're ok and it looks like your gear was able to save your body also..
kudos for wearing leg armor. i have to break out of habit of wearing only only jeans all the damn time..

keep us posted on repairs/insurance and all.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You know It seems like you know just what you did wrong so you are ahead of the game. I am truly glad you are sound.
If you get weird pains tomorrow that seems to progressivly get worse.. go get checked out. So sorry you had a bad time. I think we all don't realize about fatigue and how it can sneek up on us..

Hope you get back on the road quickly !!!

G

·
You never really learn until it happens to you, people rarely learn by other's mistakes.

Here's my advice: Next time you have oncoming traffic on a 2 lane road, ride in the center of your lane and hold your line until the traffic passes.

Glad to see you are ok, remember there is a learning curve and you just rounded it. Keep your chin up and get right back on the horse.

New Team: Go Team Black Crash Test Dummies

G

·
I'm glad your OK. I've seen some high speed crashes on road race tracks. I was always surprised how tumbling and rolling bodies could just stand up and get going again . The human body can be kinda tuff sometimes. Especially if no ridged obstacles are hit.

What is that silver yo yo above your left brake lever?

When this accident started and while it was happening were your eyes far up ahead and spread wide, or where they looking down at the pavement in front of you? I have found things are better to keep the head and eyes up and on broad-scan. Sometimes when looking down at the pavement it's too easy to overthink stuff. Sorta.
Sleepy

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sleepy said:
What is that silver yo yo above your left brake lever?
that would be awesome if it was one of those bells off a tricycle that you ring with a little lever (kinda like the choke lever)

sorry to hear about the spill, but it sounds like you know exactly what happened. all I can say is get back on it and take that knowledge with you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't mean to split hairs here, but if you just trashed your crappy gear and you were fine afterwards... why would you go spend $2000 on the "best gear money can buy"?

Sorry about your bike man, but just get some good quality medium-rate gear. Don't buy the "best" until you stop crashing your bike on straight roads, heh.

Just a thought. - And yeah, what is that silver yo yo thing? A bike bell would be sweet.
-Aleckor

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Cotton, glad you're OK. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the bike, and that bell is awesome! I'm so gonna steal that idea from you....

Maybe fix up the bike best you can with glue, and once you're more comfortable get all new fairings, etc? It's your bike and gear man, so don't let me influence you....

So what's next?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
its good to see that your ok.
shame about the bike :( i never like to see these bikes like this.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Thanks for sharing, takes guts to admit your fault, big rep for that!

Now get to work fixing the baby up and do some more Roadcraft training... best money you'll spend to save your skin after gear! If everything goes to plan and I get my new bike this week, i'll be booking in for another roadcraft course for sure.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Tradition states this is where we REALLY welcome you to the riding fraternity.
Welcome.

Sorry to hear about your crash mate :( Mines not fixed for another 2 weeks aprox.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you take the MSF course? My guess is that your eyes locked onto the edge of the pavement because your fear of going off the road froze you up. If you're looking at the side of the road that's probably where you're going to end up. We've all done it and it's a hard thing to counteract when you're freaking out. Always look where you're going.

Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ooops... haha my lack of proofreading almost put hundreds of new riders into the ditch. Thanks for catching that, Ratty. Proof that English was an important class.

Always look where you WANT TO GO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts