Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would make this thread now and update it after I go on the track day!
(If this is in the wrong section of the forum Felix sorry!) :whistling:

I am going on a track day at a local circuit (literally a mile from my house), the day consists of 7 x 20 minute sessions on track and is only as small circuit.
I have a goal of 1 minute 10sec lap times by the end of the day!

Got a load of friends coming down to watch/race themselves and have a good time, taking a video camera, stop watch and SLR so hopefully some good pics!

Heres the track:

http://www.hottrax-online.com/content/download/Mallory.pdf

Very kindly a friend has lent me his track/old race bike so I don't have to take the GSX-R on track and risk wrecking it!

The bike is only worth about £500 but from what ive heard can still go around Mallory in sub-minute laps with the right rider!
As you can see from the photos its a bit beat up...
It was origonally based on a 1993 honda F2 600 CBR. Various upgrades/crashes later and its what it is today, still with an awesome sounding LeoVince system (even if it is battered).

Couple of things im worried about on the bike: IT HAS NO SLIPPER CLUTCH :eek: which I am used to on my other bike!

Also it doesn't have a speedo, only a rev counter and temp gauge, so I wont know what speed im entering corners at....

Should be great apart from that :D.

Video here to show you what it sound/goes like!:
YouTube - ‪Honda track bike drive by‬‏

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Sweet! Yeah it's kinda ride report :p

Also it doesn't have a speedo, only a rev counter and temp gauge, so I wont know what speed im entering corners at....
I told you already you don't need it...

After one session you won't need the rev counter either. Just slow down, get used to the track and the bike, and take your time... don't try and ride fast, let the bike do the work for you.

What are you going to be doing, looking down reading your speedo checking you're at the right speed before a corner? Do you do that on the road? The only reason you ever look at your dash on the road is to make sure you don't lose your licence.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wise words flix! I think its nerves more than anything. Ill just go with the flow and see how everything goes!

What do you think of the pics? Its a bit of a shed but it does the job very well!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
sick! That's the perfect bike as a first race bike! I second the "don't need speedo/slipper clutch" - just ride the bike, and feel the oh-so-good mid-shift blips... mmm mmmm. Salivating just thinking about it! Yea, you'll have some serious fun!

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Flix! I will do dont worry, a montage of video and pics shall come.

Fingers crossed all goes well and I come back with a good report :)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to let you know....Im back and safe!

Tired and broken, but safe. un-crashed.

Was a great day! Ill fill you in on the details tomorrow. might be a couple of days for pics!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres a phew photos of the day, I was going to upload to tinypic but it would take forever.

Professional photos have been uploaded to the photographers website.

If you want to have a look they are here:

black bike.Nov.3rd Jun - Mallory (Hottrax)

I will be buying and posting good quality versions up though :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've posted photos up...so now its time for a little write up!
Im not the best at doing the whole typing story thing ;) although ill try my best for you lot!

Start of the day was pretty good, arrived at the circuit at 7:30am, a bit cold for a day that turned out
24C and not a cloud in the sky.
We got all of our kit set up, tinkered with the bikes for a bit and then went to register.
We got wristbands and stickers! Very cool indeed. Had a bit of a walk around to look at some of the bikes,
there was a lot of big money there! We lost count of Ducati 1198s.
A couple of good crashes in each group through the day, first one was a brand new Aprillia RSV4!
About £18000 worth with all the goodies it had on it.

Another which happened later that day in our group saw a guys Honda Fireblade have a missing front.
Completely destroyed with the forks mashed and front wheel facing the wrong way, we spoke to the guy
and it was his 2nd track day on his road bike, and the crash wasn’t his fault! someone low-sided
in front of him and took him out. Poor guy he had to get a friend to come and pick him up in a van
with his wrecked bike.

As you can tell from the lack of crash photos my bike wasnt wrecked ;) (thank god!)
First session I was very nervous, first time ever on track, the bike was running sweeeeeet on the day as well.
The first 20 minutes gave me a good feel for the track and how much grip it had.
The Pirelli dragon-supercorsa tires that were on the bike stuck like glue!
I had a goal on the day of a 1 minute 10 lap, which i know isnt a good idea to have a goal on a first track day.
Before lunch I managed to get my times down to 1 minute 13 a lap but not much more, i also got the feeling of knee down in the
3rd session....and it was firmly down at every opportunity for the rest of the day ;).

After a good lunch of salad sarnies and crisps and lots of water, a friend came down to adjust my suspension (who used to
race the bike i used).
FIRST lap of the session after lunch when id had my suspension sorted I did my fastest lap of the day. 1 minute 11.
It was the fastest lap I had on the day on cold tires!

My impression of the groups through the day were varied, although I did enjoy being one of the fastest in the novice group
(not to blow my own trumpet by I wasn’t passed by many people!) I didn’t like getting held up all the bike by slow people.
I think this ruined my times a bit, there weren’t many laps where there wasn’t traffic in front.

The intermediate group seemed to be full of people lapping around the same speed as me/my friend but they did have some faster people
in the group. So I might try the inters for the next track day!

Advanced was insane, great to watch what was pretty much, racing. They all seemed to be going 100% against each other and the track.
A 125cc GP bike dominated the advanced group going round the outside of everyone with his knee down around every corner! He was seriously good at riding.
The only time the 125cc ever lost out was when a big Duc1198 chased it down on the straight.

Overall an amazing day, great weather, great track and great company all through the day.
Unfortunately....im going to have to buy the track bike...and invest all my time and money into track days.

If you haven’t ever done a track day, but have spent your time reading this.

DO IT.

HOLY WALL OF TEXT BATMAN.

Thanks for reading ;)

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.