·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
646 Posts
:-O shocked I am.

I guess when I get around to buying one I should go quiet core... Then again.. what the fuck am I saying?... I guess when I get around to buying one I should go Two Bros? Meh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The volume of the bike is determined by the length and absorbent qualities of the muffler chamber. the tone of the bike is determined by the shape and size of the final exhaust output.
it's very difficult to change the length and absorbent qualities of the muffler chamber. the muffler packing that comes with the area p is of high quality already, so its not worth the upgrade.
what you might find suitable is to create a reducer cap that clips onto your exhaust tip and reduces the size of the final output. depending on the size of your new tip, it will reduce low frequency output, and reduce overall output volume by considerable manner. this would compromise tone and performance slightly but making the cap removable would enable you to choose when you wanted a quiet friendly bike or a race screaming monster.... hope it helps

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well Felix, even though I'm not in the same situation as you (I didn't buy an aftermarket system, I made my own pipe), I felt that the high noise level had run it's course and I'd like a more tuned, quiet sounding system. I was looking around online, trying to decide what to do when I found some SUPER tiny mufflers. Patriot racing makes them. They have them in 1" IDx1.625" ODx6" length, 12" length, 1.625" IDx1.875" ODx8", 12" length.. A couple other sizes too, and they're super cheap! Like $15!

I originally bought the one 1.625"x8" muffler and threw it inline after the stock, primary "cat".. That helped, but it wasn't enough. So I bought one of the 1" IDx12" mufflers, cut it in half, relieved the straight cut ends, bent them in, welded them back up, blended it.. Then burned them into the two primary down pipes. I can now run without a muffler at all and it's no louder than my system was with just the one slip-on. Once I put the slip-on on, it sounds awesome!! It doesn't resonate at all, no slapping sound (from the exhaust waves colliding with the pipes I'm assuming?), perfect noise level... I love it. And it doesn't look half-bad IMO.

Secondary mufflers, pre slip-on:

Primary down tube mufflers. They were one 12" muffler, cut into two 6" mufflers... Perfect size.

Now, that being said, that's probably more work than you'd like to do (not to mention not everyone has their own welder, plasma cutter, or the confidence to cut up their exhaust, especially since yours isn't a stock system!), so can I suggest some exhaust inserts like the drag racing guys use? It's just a perferated cone, kinda bounces the exhaust around a little, deadening some sound, but keeping the flow almost unrestricted.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DTC%2D72%2D32520&N=700+4294923429+4294865405+115&autoview=sku
or
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CCI%2D3DI25R&N=700+4294923429+4294865405+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
331 Posts
Felix said:
Ok, before anyone starts flaming me, I LOVE my Full System, AreaP carbon fibre 12inch exhaust, its been on the bike for just under 6000km. That said, for a couple of different reasons, I am looking into turning down the volume on the exhaust.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could do this?

Felix
I love my AP aswell but it's very noisy.Here's what I did.

The cape in the pic was milled from solid stainless steal by a local milling shop per my

intruction.The hole is a tad bigger than std muffler.It lowers the noise level ~by half

but the sound quality remains the same.Does't effect the performance at all.

All in all it cost me 450 THB or around 15 USD in lebour and material.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I made my own silencer for my exhaust. Kinda like erics. Basically it converts the last 3 inches of my 2" exhaust into 1.5". Cuts the rumble down about half. Ill get a pic and a sound clip here tonight.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks guys, some ideas.

I love the exhaust, I almost want to keep it the same level, but be able to have it stealth at flick of a switch. I'm going to be living across from the local town cop, and riding to work in one of the most heavly policed towns for hoons in Australia, so not keen on getting booked twice a day.

The insert looks like a go, and if that doesnt work, a resonator or mini muffler.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
As soon as I find a donor stock can and can fab up my own $36 muffler, I will be installing a "quiet valve". Basically just a spring loaded flap that will be located about halfway down the can, which should open up at about 6,000rpms... SO, when the bike is running slow (under 5,000rpms), the flap should be fully closed and very quiet, and above 6,000, it should be as good as a straight pipe.... Unfortunately I don't have the exhaust can yet (ebay hasn't offered one cheap enough yet), so I can't do a write up on how I wanted to do it. This way, I won't have to worry about it being open or closed, just about where I want to run. Depending on spring weight, you could make it open later or sooner. I also haven't sat down to calculate what a good starting weight might be, so I can't even give you that... Sorry Felix. Hope this gives you an idea though.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
heh wow felix going for the quiet life. WTF DID THAT TRIP DO TO YOU!!!! hehe j/k.

Good reads on this one. I saw a guy on a Buell get pulled over and I was listening to his conversation with the copper. His pipes were wayyy too loud, it wasnt straight either he had a fabbed exhaust. Well he took the rediculously large $500 ticket and went about his merry way when I saw him 2 days later in a bar I worked at. I made a fun joke about it and he laughed, I asked him how he solved the issue and he gave me a piece of paper with a diagram of his snorkel with Brilo pad pieces in it...

Needless to say when he cranked it up it sounded not only better (low bass) he wasnt attracting as much unwanted attention. Now thats some dirtbike, go kart shit but I thought it was a pretty easy way to solve that problem being on vacation 1200 miles from home.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ah man i was deciding whether or not i should go with an area p full system.. but now ur saying that its tooo loud. ive heard a couple other people say that too.. not im kinda skeptical

felix, let us know what u do with ur exhaust to quiet it down. What eric did seems pretty legit

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its not that, its just too loud for where I'm going to be living... right across the road from the cop shop. So it was quiet it down or remove it. Dont get me wrong I LOVE the sound, but I like my licence to!

I've installed a insert in the tip and it has cut the volume down HEAPS, it's also smoothed the sound out to less like a dirt bike. Its loud when your giving it some, but not a heap above stock when at idle and riding in lower revs.

Once I get a way of transferring files from my phone to lappy I'll take some pics and video.

Felix

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
StockWall said:
I made my own silencer for my exhaust. Kinda like erics. Basically it converts the last 3 inches of my 2" exhaust into 1.5". Cuts the rumble down about half. Ill get a pic and a sound clip here tonight.
stockwall, sound clips and pics pleeease..

i know im jsut bored.. its been raining here and i have nothing else to do. But please pics! and sound clips

·
Registered
267 Posts
sorry to bring up an old topic, but I this product was just recently added to the area p website. it's called a dual element insert sound attenuator.
"*NOTE - Primarily designed for the Standard Muffler. Power will be reduced. It will not be as quiet and/or perform as well as the Long Quiet Core Muffler."

http://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-2008.php

just wasn't sure if anybody else had seen this yet

1 - 20 of 25 Posts