Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a doctors appointment, woke up late, and had a voicemail from my mom telling me she took my car to work and I would have to walk eight blocks (in the cold) to get it.. well, number one, it was eight blocks in the cold, and number two- I wouldn't make it to my appointment on time if I walked all the way there to get the damn car. So what did I do, you ask? I took my bike- 35 degrees Fahrenheit, had been sitting in the garage for a few days since the small snow ad rain storm we had gotten a few days earlier was clearing up.. I layered up and prepared for antarctica, and I have to admit it was a pain in the ass getting a pair of leather gloves over my riding gloves and a bionic aplinestars suit under my clothes, plus a thick baklava under my helmet, but I managed. I let her warm up for ten minutes and took off. I was careful, VERY careful. I kept it under twenty miles an hour. I got to this one specific turn that was a bitch even in the nicest of weather- sharper than a goddamn 90 degree angle turn, thats how bad I am talking. The light turned green, I kept it in first, upshifted to second right around fifteen miles per hour about ten feet before the turn, circled out about six feet to give myself clearance as i always do, and took the turn. Fine. Nothing happened.. until a patch of black ice seeping from the corner of the sidewalk and storage drain nipped the inside end of my back tire.. I felt that gliding, floating feeling- I knew what was next. Down I went, and hard too considering the speed I took the turn at. Slid about seven feet into a trucks wheels that was waiting at the red light. Tore my (non-riding) leather jacket I had over my bionic suit top to the right shoulderpads and elbowpads- which stood up fine to the blow. My helmet got a little scratched, I barely skidded it along the pavement.. I was very aware of what was happening and even hit the kill switch right before my bike pulled ahead from me while we were sliding together. Fun eh? I have frame sliders on my bike, and the right one took quite a beating. No fairing damage at all. I also have spool sliders, so my pipe got only a little nick in it and my swingarm was fine. Only other damage was a nick to my crash-bar ends, and annoyingly enough, a good nick on my newish pazzo shorty brake lever.. grr.

As far as me, a little sore and banged up- I had some thermal chaps under some thick fleece-lined jeans, but it still tore to the skin on my outer-kneecap and heel (didn't have my boots on.. dumb me for sure.. don't rub it in) and also left a nice, softball size bump that is bruising over on my outer thigh.. my upper body protected completely by high quality gear, hands as well, and head/neck most importantly. My bionic top also has a spine protector which did its job and my back feels fine.

I am hoping that my shogun frame sliders have replaceable ends- because the right one is chewed to hell now. I will look that up shortly after this post. I would estimate the total damage at around 100-150$ with a little TLC.. frame sliders saved it from being a much bigger catastrophe.. and gear saved it from being a sad, sad day in new haven.

I am happy I had the sense to fit 90% of my gear on even though it was so cold and tough to get under all my layers, very uncomfortable- but worth it. ALL GEAR, ALL THE TIME. You know what that means? I failed. 90% doesn't cut it. I should have had my riding boots and draggin' jeans on, if I did the kneepad and thigh protectors would have left me without a scratch- instead I am limping around with ice on one part, bandages, and a heating pad- lucky, too.

Once again- ALL GEAR, ALL THE TIME! And don't be stupid like me and take a bike out even if the roads are clear when it is below freezing- all it takes is a tiny patch of ice from numerous sources to ruin your day like I did mine. Thing that sucked the most is I still made it to my appointment today.. i hate the doctors

be safe out there!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys- and LOL at blue ghost. Well, yes, the examination I passed fine, and bloodwork I guess I will find out later.. but all in all I am a healthy baby boy!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Not good Blackout, sorry to hear about the down. It's never a good thing to hear, but I'm glad your mostly ok!
Kurt was looking at some Shogun sliders for his wifes bike, some photos of how they saved your bike should help him with the purchase I think!

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I hate the look of frame sliders but they're really good to have. Good thing you had them. I'd say they were also responsible for keeping the full weight of the bike off of you when you went down. I know someone who came off going very slowly - the bike fell on top of him and he hasn't been able to walk properly ever since.

And this is the only good black ice - Amazon.com: Black Ice: Ac/Dc: Music :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
sorry to hear Blackout! Glad you and the bike both moved away from the scene under your own power.

What did the truck do which you slid into? How were the other bystanders? Get any flack?

Does this mean you are now in the second category of riders?

Also, just thought I'd rectify for the future - I don't think you were wearing a Baklava - that's a greek desert, I think you were wearing a Balaclava. Again, not trying to put you down, just a friendly correction so people don't look at you weird in the future when you tell them that you put greek dessert on your face to keep warm... :p

Baklava:

Balaclava:http://www.militaryhq.com/ProdImages/BALACLAVA BK.jpg

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry to hear Blackout! Glad you and the bike both moved away from the scene under your own power.

What did the truck do which you slid into? How were the other bystanders? Get any flack?

Also, just thought I'd rectify for the future - I don't think you were wearing a Baklava - that's a greek desert, I think you were wearing a Balaclava. Again, not trying to put you down, just a friendly correction so people don't look at you weird in the future when you tell them that you put greek dessert on your face to keep warm... :p

Baklava:

LOL- just checked this thread for the first time since I've been back.. and had a good laugh. I love how you were so polite, even correcting what was easily something to absolutely crush me for.. loved this

- "just a friendly correction so people don't look at you weird in the future when you tell them that you put greek dessert on your face to keep warm"

·
Registered
74 Posts

Baklava:

Hahaha... this is funny.... Im glad that you have corrected this, because BAKLAVA means "GAY" to our native language here. hahaha

But Im glad that everything is fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.