Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Lowering links

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  grover89 
#1 ·
Alright folks, here's my deal.

Bought my bike used from the dealer, former owner was a woman and had lowering links installed.
I have been riding the bike low, but I can flat foot both feet while sitting in the saddle, so I want to put the stock links back on.
Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?
It looks fairly simple, but I don't know how I should go about it. Some digging online told me to either suspend the rear end from the ceiling, or laying the bike down on a mattress/cushion.
I don't really like either of those ideas.
Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hey Iceman,
I think I have the same issue. I bought the bike from a near 5 foot tall(short?) female and I think she has lowering links installed as well. Could you do me a solid and post some pics of what it looks like with lowering links installed? If I do have them installed I will gladly figure out a way to get them off and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

#3 ·
So here are some pics.there is one from either side, and a comparison to the stock link.
Which raised another question.
The stock links are shorter than the ones installed now. Is this normal?
I adjusted the rear preloader to 5, but can still flat foot both feet on the bike.
Will the stock links make this worse? Or better?

Attachments

#4 ·
from what i have been told the preload adjustment does very little for overall ride height... more just makes the rear end stiffer/softer.

I woould imagine that shorter links would allow the bottom house for the spring to be up higher, therefore raising the back end. Im going to have to investigate tonight to see if the ones on mine are stock.

#6 ·
Just an update if anyone is interested.

I managed to change the links today.
I parked the bike parallel to the deck ( which is raised) left side facing the deck. Then tied a rope around the 4x4 deck post and the triple clamp to catch the bike were it to fall over.

Loosen the bolts before lifting the bike.

Using my small car jack and a small
Block of wood, I jacked the bike on the oil pan,
Until the rear tire was barely off the ground, leaning the bike on the kickstand and front tire for support.

Mine were a little stiff, so I used some lubricant to free the bolts from the linkage.
Attached the new links on the top bolt, and CAREFULLY Lowered the bike until the bottom holes lined up.

Snugged the bolts hand tight and lowered the bike back down. Torque bolts.
Et Voila! Fini!

#7 ·
Well done Iceman! Just put of curiosity, when they lowered the rear, did they also install raising blocks under the handle bars? You may need to remove these as well to get the balance back in the bike.

#9 ·
ICEMAN said:
So here are some pics.there is one from either side, and a comparison to the stock link.
Which raised another question.
The stock links are shorter than the ones installed now. Is this normal?
I adjusted the rear preloader to 5, but can still flat foot both feet on the bike.
Will the stock links make this worse? Or better?
Clean that shok son !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.