Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this winter texas weather has been eeeh . my bike battery felt the cold too. it just wont stay charged. i can jump start it and it works just fine. but then the next day on the first crank you can hear the hesitation on the battery, by the third day i will have to jump start it again. any ideas? or just buy a new battery? i am just concern this might happen again next winter.
thanks my ninja family

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yea a battery tender or a bad ground. Corrosion loves to gather on terminals. Seen 3 Harleys this spring all succumb to electrical problems and all the same thing...Corroded Ground. There is wiring diagram somwhere on the forum i sure...jsut take a look at you major grounds first it may save you having to buy a battery. More than likely its the battery but its free to check the wired. Batteries HATE cold weather!!!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I agree with both! Check your terminals on the battery itself, and get yourself a tender/charger. Cycle the battery a few times. If you don't have money for a charger, jump the bike, and take her on a really long ride, like 200 miles, making sure to keep the revs fairly high - highway riding is best, to make sure the battery gets charged up nice and full through the bike's charging system.

Also check electrolyte levels... Grab a pair of pliers and pull all the little yellow dots off the top of the battery and make sure there's enough electrolyte in the battery. If you have to fill it, be careful, it's acid. Don't spill on anything. My eliminator did this once, and it only had half of the electrolyte it needed. Once filled, it still romping, 5 years later! :)

If you've checked the contacts, checked the electrolyte, and gone on a massive ride to make sure it's charged, I would consider getting a new battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts