Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had a clicking sounds coming from my 02 kawasaki zx6r so I changed and adjusted my timing chain, the sound went away for about 2 minutes then came back ever louder so I opened up the plug where you out oil while it was running to hear it better my clutch wasn't sounding Togo but I realize when I pull my clutch lever in the noise stops.
I know it's not a good description but does anyone know or been through anything like this with there bike or kawasaki
Please let me know if there something I could do before I replace the motor

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sounds like it might be an issue with your clutch basket and friction plates. Many reported but fixable problems on some Kawasakis.

Do you ride the bike hard?
How many miles on the bike?
When's the last time the clutch was inspected or serviced?

·
1,458 Posts
Ok so I had a clicking sounds coming from my 02 kawasaki zx6r so I changed and adjusted my timing chain, the sound went away for about 2 minutes then came back ever louder so I opened up the plug where you out oil while it was running to hear it better my clutch wasn't sounding Togo but I realize when I pull my clutch lever in the noise stops. I know it's not a good description but does anyone know or been through anything like this with there bike or kawasaki Please let me know if there something I could do before I replace the motor
ok. So here is my input. Depending on the sound it could e a few things but first. When you changed your timing chain did you replace the timing chain guards? Timing chain tensioner? Adjusted the valves and shims? The loud clicking coming from any part of the motor in particular that you can pin point? Did you change the oil after you changed the timing chain? Any metal fiber or fragments in the oil? Does the bike idle normally now with no abnormal clacking ? Does it only clacking when giving it gas? Does the bike seem sluggish( like a lack of power) while riding? I know it's a lot but they are all important questions

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. So here is my input. Depending on the sound it could e a few things but first. When you changed your timing chain did you replace the timing chain guards? Timing chain tensioner? Adjusted the valves and shims? The loud clicking coming from any part of the motor in particular that you can pin point? Did you change the oil after you changed the timing chain? Any metal fiber or fragments in the oil? Does the bike idle normally now with no abnormal clacking ? Does it only clacking when giving it gas? Does the bike seem sluggish( like a lack of power) while riding? I know it's a lot but they are all important questions

I've changed the oil
Just replaced the adjustment it suppose to be self adjustment
When I hit the gas the clacking stops only when it's just sitting there it make noise but for some reason I was riding fine then it just lost all power I had to ride home in first gear, I even open it up and it still maintained like 15-20 mph but jump up and down when ever it wanted to
I just ordered a new motor and I'm going to open my motor up and try and rebuild it
Let's see how that goes, might just strip it and whatever good sell or keep around for extra just incase

Plus it had over 30,000 mile I bought the bike from bullshit shop that closed down within weeks last year so the new motor got like 10,000 miles and was running fine says that company I'm getting it from

·
1,458 Posts
I've changed the oil Just replaced the adjustment it suppose to be self adjustment When I hit the gas the clacking stops only when it's just sitting there it make noise but for some reason I was riding fine then it just lost all power I had to ride home in first gear, I even open it up and it still maintained like 15-20 mph but jump up and down when ever it wanted to I just ordered a new motor and I'm going to open my motor up and try and rebuild it Let's see how that goes, might just strip it and whatever good sell or keep around for extra just incase Plus it had over 30,000 mile I bought the bike from bullshit shop that closed down within weeks last year so the new motor got like 10,000 miles and was running fine says that company I'm getting it from
when u lost power it's probably because of two scenarios that correspond to the clacking. It still could be the clutch basket has a catch in it which is a small gouge that holds a plate in the wrong position which the usually causes the pressure plate to warp and crack. However, I think what u are hearing is either piston slap due to broken rings which call for a full rebuild or you have a lifter problem which has either broken the cam lobe and bent a valve which is dropping a lot of your power and has led to other catastrophic things. I believe you have piston slap more than anything. Did you see metals chunks or shavings in the oil or did you not really look?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.