Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my first car and need some advice. I found a toyota celica gt4 for sale on kijiji. It seemed like a good deal but while looking at the pictures of it I noticed that off in the back ground in the corner of one of the pictures there was an identical gt4. Do you think the seller could have done something sketchy like swap the motors and then sell the car that has less mileage on the odometer but a motor with a lot more mileage? Haha maybe I sound crazy. Is there anyway I can tell though by matching serial numbers or something?

·
Registered
726 Posts
More likely he's a collecter, and forced to sell one of his projects, in this economy. :(

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Cossitt, how much?. Those GT4 are hard to come-by, and they're great little cars. I wish I could find one. It would the perfect winter car for me. Although I'd prefer the previous generations all-trac, I prefer the body style, and it's a bit shorter....

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Can't beat a Toyota down mang, and I love the somewhat lack of posting on this thread it's so motorcycle oriented :D

Whenever I look for a car, or at a car I always check the mileage. Now, different cars carry different numbers if you know what I mean. I know Toyota's engines are very strong and durable, so anything under 100k I'd say is good and thats being very picky. Also do a check to see if its been in any kind of accident, whether it be a really bad one that required total body work or a small one that just needed a little buffing, you need to know this.

Just try to gather as much information as possible on this car and weigh the pros and cons (if there is any).

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
check in the oil cap when going to look at it, if theres any water or white residue, engine is screwed and thus dont buy, also look for stuff like joins on the doors etc to see if its had a shunt or not

·
Registered
347 Posts
metbandit1 said:
check in the oil cap when going to look at it, if theres any water or white residue, engine is screwed and thus dont buy, also look for stuff like joins on the doors etc to see if its had a shunt or not
+1, when I was sixteen and looking to buy my first car with my money I earned working at Quiznos Subs (nom nom) I was told to check for any white sludge/residue around the oil cap and main gaskets. Also Check to see when you get there if he has let the car run at all, e.g., hood and engine are hot. This could indicate some problems like stalling or other weaknesses that the seller is hiding by running beforehand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We see this all the time at work. The residue on the oil cap is condensation in the oil from not properly warming the car up before driving most times. Also a good idea to check the oil on the dipstick. If its milky or really black and sludgy its not a good sign. If the dipstick is stained dark brown or black after being wiped off it could mean its not had the oil changed regularly, and the motor has run hot. Look for corrosion around the water neck and radiator overflow. A lot of toyotas leak around the timing cover. It could be a crank seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, or cam seal. Something to look for. Could help bring the price down if ur willing to do some work on it. Hope my 2 cents helps a little.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Haha didn't think this many people would pay attention on a motorcycle forum! I will definitely be using all of those suggestions when I am looking at cars. Right now I am paying a lot of attention to these two cars, the first is the gt4 I was talking about:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-Toyota-Celica-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ228384434

and then here is a twin turbo 300zx.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1990-Nissan-300ZX-Twin-Turbo-RHD-T-Tops-2-2-W0QQAdIdZ230790992

Any thoughts?

What do you think about the zx being a 2+2, yet twin turbo? I thought tt's only came in coupe? Anyway I have a meeting to go see that one tomorrow. I will question the seller (who happens to be an import car dealership)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I know nothing of the 300, but I never cared much for them. Always thought they were kinda like the Supras, which have always been a bloated in my opinion.

I'd go with the GT4. If you keep that car in good nic, it will be worth a ton later. They are so rare, and the many of the ones which are out there get trashed rally racing, street racing, etc... And it has a bit of a cult following, and some serious race history behind it. I'm looking for one myself actually. Except I want the stock wheels, I want a completely stock car...

·
4,853 Posts
spooph said:
I know nothing of the 300, but I never cared much for them. Always thought they were kinda like the Supras, which have always been a bloated in my opinion.

I'd go with the GT4. If you keep that car in good nic, it will be worth a ton later. They are so rare, and the many of the ones which are out there get trashed rally racing, street racing, etc... And it has a bit of a cult following, and some serious race history behind it. I'm looking for one myself actually. Except I want the stock wheels, I want a completely stock car...
Supra's are not as cool as they used to be, I blame Vin Diesel personally. Anyone who would go out and completely rape a car's insides and make them look like a Cessna Bronco should have their psyche checked. I like them stock. But I'm most likely parting ways from my car and buying a Subaru.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
How so Virt? And why blame Vin Diesel? The RX7 is just as cool as it's always been. Blame Brian Spilner, or whatever the actor's real name is. He found it.... :D "2JZ no shit". Yea, I was all into that movie when it first came out..... :D

·
4,853 Posts
haha! Paul Walker lol. The RX7 is awesome, there's one up the street for sale, completely stock, white, very nice for $5,000. Someone will definitely pick that one up quick. I'm growing detached from my car just because I'm tired of (and I'm going to be honest) idiots on motorcycles coming up next to me wanting to race, same with Mustangs, new camaro's and soccer mom's in their SUV's. Cops ALWAYS pull me over and it's not worth my time, or the cost of the car anymore. I've found in my almost 5 years of having this car that I'm better off with a 250 when my wrist heals and a more cost effective, non idiot attracting means of transportation. Quite frankly $400 a month is too much to insure a car for.

And I too liked that movie, but I curse it every time I see a huge spoiler and a exhaust tip with a circumference of the tires it rides on.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Fo real! Yea, Paul Walker was his namo....

YAY for a 250! Finally, eh? Then you can be one of those annoying bikes always wanting to race the supras! :D

·
4,853 Posts
Noooo I'm not one to race on a bike, especially since I've waited so long to get one you know? When the wrist heals I'll be testing out bikes. Pretty much sold on the 250, always have been for what I do, but you never know whats out there.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Delta107 said:
My cyber bro is getting a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For some reason I feel like throwing a party!
You don't get out much do you D!!!!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Woooooo virty! you have to keep us posted!

·
Registered
173 Posts
virtualmatrix258 said:
haha! Paul Walker lol. The RX7 is awesome, there's one up the street for sale, completely stock, white, very nice for $5,000. Someone will definitely pick that one up quick. I'm growing detached from my car just because I'm tired of (and I'm going to be honest) idiots on motorcycles coming up next to me wanting to race, same with Mustangs, new camaro's and soccer mom's in their SUV's. Cops ALWAYS pull me over and it's not worth my time, or the cost of the car anymore. I've found in my almost 5 years of having this car that I'm better off with a 250 when my wrist heals and a more cost effective, non idiot attracting means of transportation. Quite frankly $400 a month is too much to insure a car for.
I hear ya buddy. That's the reason why I just recently sold my RX7. Too much attention, too costly to run & I prefer to take the bike everywhere anyway. Plus I'd blown up the engine/seals for a second time & couldn't be bothered getting it fixed again. that's the problem with rotaries - that car might only cost $5K but will probably cost at least that much again in repairs soon enough. Mine ended up costing me around AU$30K and I sold it for $3500. :(
Now I just need a little shitbox car to bring home the occasional carton of beer. i'm not comfortable carrying that home on the bike yet ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts