Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smarty pants here left the key in the ignition to ON and no power. Left it plugged to my trickle charger over night but the moto still did not have power to start.

What should I do next? Is it time for a new battery?

:NefRider:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
NefRider said:
Smarty pants here left the key in the ignition to ON and no power. Left it plugged to my trickle charger over night but the moto still did not have power to start.

What should I do next? Is it time for a new battery?

Give it another evening of charge and if nothing then then it's prob best to get a new battery because if its struggling to start the bike you might knacker the starting motor etc too !

·
Registered
674 Posts
You may need to push more than 2A into a completely dead battery to get it to accept a charge, but don't leave it at 6A or so overnight if you don't have to. Always check the temp, if you are charging too hard the battery will get pretty hot.

I'd try 6A for 2 or 3 hours then 2A overnight and see what you get.

Jay

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jkv45 said:
You may need to push more than 2A into a completely dead battery to get it to accept a charge, but don't leave it at 6A or so overnight if you don't have to. Always check the temp, if you are charging too hard the battery will get pretty hot.

I'd try 6A for 2 or 3 hours then 2A overnight and see what you get.

Jay
Hey J, where do I get the 6A from? A regular batter charger?

I just got home and tried to turn it on ... All I got was the light on the dash to go on. Nothing happened when I hit the starter button. Dead.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey J, where do I get the 6A from? A regular batter charger?

I just got home and tried to turn it on ... All I got was the light on the dash to go on. Nothing happened when I hit the starter button. Dead.

Middle of the road car charges run about 6A. You could try 10A for a short period of time (like 30 min), but monitor the voltage (12V max with the 10A charger - after a few minutes of sitting with the charger unplugged) and battery temp while charging.

Then use the cycle charger overnight and try again.

Jay

·
Registered
233 Posts
omg... i wish it were snowing here. it's freakin 32 Celsius(92 F) here in texas. I"m ROASTING in my saddle. Discovered that water-soaked t-shirts really don't help as much as i thought they would... perhaps when i try my other jacket out with a soaked t-shirt it will be better.

I would just like to spread the word ... - texas weather blows

could literally be 0 degrees by the end of tomorrow. You have to be vigilant about the weather all the damn time

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
92 up here in Maine today....
Usually july be4 we see that shit...
WTF...man.....
Wazzz hot on the Ninja riding today in 92 heat.....
Long pants n a T.....fck that armored jacket in this heat....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jkv45 said:
Middle of the road car charges run about 6A. You could try 10A for a short period of time (like 30 min), but monitor the voltage (12V max with the 10A charger - after a few minutes of sitting with the charger unplugged) and battery temp while charging.

Then use the cycle charger overnight and try again.

Jay
Guess what, I came home around 12:30an and tried to turn it on, and it did .... Yay! I will leave it trickle charge overnight again and verify tomorrow. Ill keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NefRider said:
Guess what, I came home around 12:30an and tried to turn it on, and it did .... Yay! I will leave it trickle charge overnight again and verify tomorrow. Ill keep you guys posted.

Just wanted to add a follow up: I have had no issues turning the bike on, even after not riding for a week. So, the trickle charge seemed to either fully or charge it enough to work normally. I guess the batter health has played a good part of it working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.