Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo, I have a textile icon riding jacket that is strictly a summer jacket. It has no lining or anything, just textile with forearm an shoulder pads. Thing is- its getting to small for me and I'm freezing in the winter! I'm looking for a new jackets and have a couple in mind but I'm not shut wether to go with a textile jacket with a lining that could be used for winter an summer or just go with a leather jacket that can also be used for both

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Winter an summer... I'm thinking the leather would be a better choice since ill be more protect in god forbid a fall... Downside is it be super hot in the summer? Idk, any riders out their that have used both and can help me decide

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Nothing is cheap these days.... Crap that is made in china is expensive n look what we get...Crap.:facepalm::facepalm:
I won't even buy off ebay anymore cause of the crap I was getting off there....:eek::eek:
Amazon is a bit better, but......:whistling::whistling:
N just look at gas again.....3.75 up here in maine again n going up....:facepalm:
Rich get richer n we...the working man gets it in the arssss...:eek::eek:
Rant-Rant.....:dance::dance::dance:

· Registered
1,438 Posts
Leather can be expensive. But, pound for pound, nothing will save you better in a sudden and unexpected get off. Worth the money.

What I did find though, was that sizing was a HUGE factor with leather. I can wear a Large textile jacket from any maker any time I see one, but when I was shopping for leather, the size charts were out the window. I had to try on a LOT of jackets before I found one that I liked the fit of.

Good luck.

· Registered
22 Posts
I don't know if leather is good to wear (I don't own any) when raining or very cold but I'm happy with the textiles I have, my jacket is a merlin white and black I wear all the time any conditions, wore it thought the winter and I wasn't affected. I also wear textile pants with full padding.

One guy I ride with only wears leathers when it's good weather but prefers textiles more though.

· Registered
233 Posts
Mens Motorcycle Jackets - Biker & Motorcycle Jackets | LeatherUp.com

got mine at this website... very minor flaws in one of my liners in the jackets that i ordered, but the jackets are nice. i got this one primarily for warmer weather

Xelement Men's XS-611 Armored Leather Jacket

but it works well for colder weather as well if you wear a hoodie under it (i'm actually wearing it right now as i type this), but during summer.. man o man the vents and perforation in the sleeves make this thing great for the heat. It is quite heavy though.. i've broken a retarded amount of hangars with this thing.. HEAVY!

if you're looking for solely winter though... get this
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...rim-Jacket-with-Level-3-Advanced-A/42543.html

i only wear this in weather less than 50 degrees.. i wear a hoodie under it when it's less than 40 degrees and actually sweat. great bargain jacket, and the button up neck is great for keeping out the wind

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet thanks for the info guys... I was gonna get this all black icon leather Motörhead jacket but the lady selling it... Well... Sold it lol. Was a bummer! Will continue my search! Also, thanks for the website ill check it out!!

· Registered
347 Posts
leather is sooo far superior to the latter, IMHO..

first of all, abrasion resistance is usually not as good as you'd expect in alot of the alpine stars or relatable brand summer jackets.. take it from someone who has wrecked on loose gravel and low sided on fresh pavement in one..

suggestions:

get a bionic jacket you can wear under a regular unpadded leather jacket. a bionic jacket is usually a wide weave mesh and allows Tina of airflow while being very sturdy and yet flexible with thick pads in the shoulders elbows and ribs.. some even come with spine protectors. this way, you can always be protected and have more options as to what jacket you would like to wear, and dress appropriately. works for me most of the time.

other wise, leather is almost never as hot as you would think. unless you go for a heavy all black jacket made of thick, soft leather, you won't be sweating too bad. to me, I'd rather sweat for a minute at a stop light rather then be freezing at 70.. never thought id say it but.. leather FTW!

· Registered
123 Posts
I have both textile and leather jackets.
I feel protected in both, but if I HAD to choose between the two, I would probably take the leather one because it fits me like a second skin.
THIS IS IMPORTANT. A textile jacket that fits you perfectly will protect you better than a poor-fitting leather jacket, and vice-versa, every time.
I think it was BlackBoar (s.ontario-recognize!) who was on the money. Visit a lot of gear stores. Try on a lot of different jackets. The one you like the look of and that fits you perfectly is out there. You just have to go out and find it.
Stay safe.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Alrighty! Thanks for all the info,opinions, and tips guys... Very much appreciated. I shall you guys know what I end up getting!
OOoooBoy....... I hope ur not gunna be that dude we see riding around in that Itty Bitty Pink Bikini..... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Vortex already has the permit for that...:thumb::thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.