Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'll start another controversial topic discussion.

You don't need msf to learn to ride, I didn't, but do what you feel comfortable doing.

I did research, got advice, watched youtube, bought a 250R, and just started practicing. I intended on taking a course but haven't yet, I didn't want to go to one as a noob knowing nothing and looking stupid. 9 months later, still haven't but riding like a pro everyday.

Not telling you not to take the course, you should and I will myself someday.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
The benefits of taking a MSF course there isn't any per pressure from friends, you don't learn BAD habits, and insurance is usually cheaper for people that take the course.

I see what your saying, but its like buying a CBR 600rr as your first bike can you learn on it Yes is it practical as a newbie? NO

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Not necessarily Delta. But not necessarily Max, either... :p

Max, I think you raise a valid point here. I, myself, didn't learn how to ride in the course either, I only went through the course to get my parents on the "allowing" side. It was part of my devilish plan to manipulate them. And so far, it's worked. I mean, I love my parents, but our relationship now is vastly advanced from where we were 4 years ago... Anyways...

A rider should think of how comfortable they are with mistakes. If the slightest little thing scares you, or the possible consequences of the smallest mistake takes your head into a rampaging torrent of terrifying possibilities, the course is probably for you. It's a great place to learn with no pressure, and EXTREMELY low risk...

If, on the other hand, you like to learn on the fly, and have an easy time picking new things up, the course might not be the thing for you. Maybe pick up a cheap, smallish bike, practice, and save the course money for an advanced course, or a race course? Just an idea.

Oh, and by the way Delta and Max, I learned to ride on a 2001 ZX-6R. Before I took the class, had my license or insurance, another buddy would lend me his 2001 ZX-6R and we'd go ride.

I was SOOOOOOO bored in the class.... So I hear both of ya...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just get it done and over with for your insurance. Most companies give you discounts when you get training. It's the same thing with the AAA drivers course.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My co-worker puts it best when he says "Do what you want, Youre gonna anyway"

meaning that nomatter what people tell you, you are gonna do what you feel is right anyway, weather you feel the course is good or you feel its a waste of moeny, you will do what you will do.

Side note... i didnt take drivers ed for cars, and i was fine, and i rode the ninja about 1200 miles before the course date, and i was fine, and like spooph i took it to ease my parents minds, and now they dont even think about it, i mean sure they worry about me, but its more them worrying about some a hole hitting me and not me doing something stupid and crashing on my own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't yet, but the only reason I will be taking the msf course is to get a full endorsement on my license and a reduced rate on insurance.

I'm sure it will be boring for me as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I learned how to ride on my Ninja too and I'm sure I would have been fine without taking the MSF course, but it wasn't bad, only three days, cheaper insurance, fully endorsed. I thought it was worth it. Made me more comfortable afterwards too to ride my Ninja. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spooph said:
??? at Hi-tech...

Am I stupid or something?
It's a quote by Denzel Washington from the movie Training Day.

But I have no idea what context it fits in here, seems off the wall. haha

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
We took the course as experienced riders and were bored at first but did learn a lot from it. Things I use in even my car every day. Like looking through and such. I say it is worth it if you want to get a little more knowledge.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
ah, thanks Max for the clarification, and Hi-tech. That's a movie I did not like so much.

Z - absolutely!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I agree, and I agree, because to me, there wasn't enough justice. Danzel should've been tortured more before he got killed. I did not feel he fully understood the gravity of his actions, and why he had to pay.... They must all know, and feel, and fully understand, and then they can die.... It's why I don't like most movies where the good guy doesn't get to enjoy "teaching" the bad guy about justice, but rather, just applies it... I guess that's why I'd probably be a bad guy, if I were in a movie...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts