Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I layed down my 2001 Champions Limited Edition R6. I'm so pissed at myself. It punched a hole through the left side crankcase cover. She bled out on the interstate. So what happened was, a car in front of me slammed on their brakes and I did the same, but it was too late, My front wheel hit some broken up plastic rim cover and I went down on the left side. We hit, the bike frontflipped over me, at some point I pushed it hard enough to the side for it to slide off the road and then I jumped up and ran off the road myself. Adrenaline is wonderful, because if not the guy behind me would have hit my bike, and consequently, ME! I don't know how I threw my bike to the side in time, It was rush hour, and I was getting off at the Causeway/Veterans Exit in New Orleans. Any of you that have been there know how lucky I am to be alive. Oh, and WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!!!!!!!!!!!, cuz if I wouldn't have been wearing mine then I would have been knocked out and ran over. Only one impact spot on my helmet, but it was at 65, and I would have been out cold. NOONE stopped to help except for a guy that just totaled his Harley and he helped me load it in his truck and take it the 1/2 a mile I had left til my destination. His son was randomly videoing me on my streetbike with his new phone, accidently caught the whole thing on film, and they showed me it while we were waiting on the cops. I went down, stood up (while still moving @ like 35 from the momentum) shoved my bike to the side of the road, rolled about ten more times and then jumped up and played frogger across 3 lanes of traffic to get to the side of the road. I will try to get the video, and pictures of the damage to my bike and me are coming soon. I sprained my wrist when I threw the bike off me and sprained my ankle jumping outta oncoming traffic. Other than that and some roadrash on my knees and ankles I just peachy. Hurts like hell to walk. Oh and Virt I guess we can't go riding when you come down. Least not til I figure out if it runs. Lol. More as it unfolds. I'll tally the damage and post it up. Thanks guys. (And I might need some help figuring out how to change out the cover, I'll keep it posted as it comes up.)

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Aeros, thats horrible news, but I'm glad you came out ok. Virt can still go for a ride with you, only now he can keep up with you on his pedal powered trike!!!! :p

A bike can always be repaired or replaced, but sometimes you can't. Keep that gear on buddy!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Aeros, sorry to hear your news, but good that you were not badly hurt. Banging your head at 65 without a helmet would probably have done significantly more than just knock you out. What other gear did you have on by the way?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much guys. Blackboar, I was wearing my helmet and my 2001 jacket that I bought with the bike (It matched... Not anymore though Lol), and I was SOOOO cloase to wearing my gloves and boots, decided against it, and scraped off the skin from my knuckles on my left hand, and my ankles on both sides. Not to mention the sprained ankle. Point is, when in doubt, WEAR IT. I had my favorite jeans over my military polypros and the only reason I have ANY knee left is because I had on two pair instead of one. Oh, and all of you that THINK you wanna upgrade to a bigger bike? Remember that the bigger the bike, the heavier it is when IT FRONTFLIPS AND LANDS ON TOP OF YOU (and you have to push it off of yourself). So yeah... Just a thought. I'm honestly thinking about downgrading to a 250R just because it's light enough for me to pick up by myself, versus my bikes wet weight of 469 pounds. I'm just saying. It's a thought.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Shit dude, I'm just glad you made it out alive. You're right, adrenaline is a life saver, makes you do things that would put superman to shame aside from laser beam eyes, but thats a whole 'nother story. Its ashame nobody stopped, been there done that, people are flat out assholes and people don't care for one another anymore. Again just glad you're okay bro!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
virts right it can happen to any bike what so ever, also make sure you keep a large enough distance from the car in front. when i recently came off i was glad i was wearing all of my gear even at slow speeds it hurt like a mo'fo'

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are lucky! The Causeway/Vets exit is a mangled mess lately. Traffic comes to a halt heading Causeway North and with the new lanes on the right, poeple can pretty much hit 80 MPH before coming up to the line of traffic in the curve. Really dangerous. Thanks also for the advice on gear. I wear jeans but want to order riding jeans made to slide a little before ripping, possibly saving the nurse from picking gravel out my butt cheeks. I also need to replace my gloves too.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.