Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us living in places where lane splitting is illegal, who still does it anyway? I have been doing it more and more, because I think not using an advantage to any vehicle is stupid.

· Registered
615 Posts
For those of us living in places where lane splitting is illegal, who still does it anyway? I have been doing it more and more, because I think not using an advantage to any vehicle is stupid.
I still do it occasionally, depends on the location and situation though. Just watch because if someone an accident occurs, it'll technically be your fault.

· Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still do it occasionally, depends on the location and situation though. Just watch because if someone an accident occurs, it'll technically be your fault.
Yeah, I'm being very selective when I do it. I do it when I feel there is more than enough space and people are blocking the regular lanes. I had to lane split between like 10 cars on the interstate today because everybody seemed to want to go way under the speed limit and I had to get to class.

· Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't dare risk splitting between lorries, that's just asking for trouble, I do split between cars and I make sure I'm giving it my full attention when I do and I realise while I'm riding I'm not safe, but I accept all those risks when I ride as does any biker.

I think making lane splitting illegal is quite idiotic and rules set by people who have never even been on a motorcycle once in their lives.

· Registered
615 Posts
I don't dare risk splitting between lorries, that's just asking for trouble, I do split between cars and I make sure I'm giving it my full attention when I do and I realise while I'm riding I'm not safe, but I accept all those risks when I ride as does any biker. I think making lane splitting illegal is quite idiotic and rules set by people who have never even been on a motorcycle once in their lives.
Ahh, I actually have to disagree with ya on this one. Even though I lane split occasionally, I do think it is extremely dangerous and in most cases unnecessary. When I lane split it is often due to frustration with the speed of traffic. However, If I were in a car, obviously I couldn't lane split so I would just have to deal with it. Technically I could just deal with it while on my bike too, which is probably the way law makers see it. Why should something be legalized if it is unnecessary and increases the likelihood of an accident? Idk..I guess you just gotta look at it from both sides of the coin.

· Registered
165 Posts
For your consideration:

http://youtu.be/JNGD9AAIfFU

(obviously I think lanesplitting is great. I wait my turn at stops and red lights, freeway on ramps and the like. I make a point of keeping to within 10mph of the flow of traffic.....and it helps that motos are common enough where I live and work that the vast majority of drivers look and leave plenty of room for motos)

· Registered
9,088 Posts
For your consideration:

How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good - /RideApart - YouTube

(obviously I think lanesplitting is great. I wait my turn at stops and red lights, freeway on ramps and the like. I make a point of keeping to within 10mph of the flow of traffic.....and it helps that motos are common enough where I live and work that the vast majority of drivers look and leave plenty of room for motos)
Cagers are idiots here.....
Summers here a lot are tourist that are lost n not paying any attention at all to traffic.
I have so many close calls I don't need to add lane splitting to it....
:facepalm:

· Registered
1,480 Posts
.......I think making lane splitting illegal is quite idiotic and rules set by people who have never even been on a motorcycle once in their lives.
Idiotic would be making lane splitting legal in places like the DC/MD/VA area. That's why they make express and HOV/motorcycle lanes and alternate routes.

A car with a flat tire on the side of the road being attended by a tow truck is enough to cause a traffic jam. Imagine a biker laid out in the middle of the hwy across two lanes of traffic and the number of cars that would either panic or run him/her over several times. Did I mention the number of road raging assholes who already are pissed , running late due to construction on some roads? Then comes your happy motorcycle riding ass cutting in front....careful and legal or not, some folks just don't give a shit and will cut you off by riding the line as tight as possible if not crossing it.
Jus' saying.....

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Idiotic would be making lane splitting legal in places like the DC/MD/VA area. That's why they make express and HOV/motorcycle lanes and alternate routes.

A car with a flat tire on the side of the road being attended by a tow truck is enough to cause a traffic jam. Imagine a biker laid out in the middle of the hwy across two lanes of traffic and the number of cars that would either panic or run him/her over several times. Did I mention the number of road raging assholes who already are pissed , running late due to construction on some roads? Then comes your happy motorcycle riding ass cutting in front....careful and legal or not, some folks just don't give a shit and will cut you off by riding the line as tight as possible if not crossing it.
Jus' saying.....
So true

· Registered
234 Posts
Ahh, I actually have to disagree with ya on this one. Even though I lane split occasionally, I do think it is extremely dangerous and in most cases unnecessary. When I lane split it is often due to frustration with the speed of traffic. However, If I were in a car, obviously I couldn't lane split so I would just have to deal with it. Technically I could just deal with it while on my bike too, which is probably the way law makers see it. Why should something be legalized if it is unnecessary and increases the likelihood of an accident? Idk..I guess you just gotta look at it from both sides of the coin.
So why ride a bike if your going to be in 2 hours of traffic (la) for a 15-20 min ride?
You can split but there needs to be a set speed for splitting.
Also how is a cop going to get you if your in traffic and your splitting?

· Registered
165 Posts
So why ride a bike if your going to be in 2 hours of traffic (la) for a 15-20 min ride?
That's why I don't live in LA ;-)

There is a set speed for lanesplitting here: no more than 10mph above rest of traffic.

· Registered
615 Posts
mischae_ninja250 said:
Idk, I guess it's different where I'm located. I'm not near any big cities so traffic is never that congested. And as for the cop thing, you're telling me if you split lanes you can get away from a cop? Yeah right. I'm just saying, splitting can be dangerous and should only be done in necessary situations, especially because of reasons such as drivers getting pissed and intentionally trying to ride the middle line so you can't split.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Idk, I guess it's different where I'm located. I'm not near any big cities so traffic is never that congested. And as for the cop thing, you're telling me if you split lanes you can get away from a cop? Yeah right. I'm just saying, splitting can be dangerous and should only be done in necessary situations, especially because of reasons such as drivers getting pissed and intentionally trying to ride the middle line so you can't split.
Don't ferget the ones that will open the door when they see u doing it....

· Registered
233 Posts
riding a motorcycle has its inherent dangers. Allowing lane spitting has its benefits and dangers, but it should definitely be allowed anywhere and everywhere with a few simple rules/restrictions on how it can be applied. helmet laws are 1000x more important than motorcycles utilizing unused space. The fact that people over 21 are allowed to ride without a helmet while we can't go inbetween lanes absolutely blows my mind. American legislators are dumb as nails in my opinion.

With that being said... passing lane splitting laws in the US would most definitely cause issues between cagers and motorcyclists. The day that lane splitting laws are passed in the rest of the US is the day that i apply for a concealed handgun license and mount a camera on my bike because i'm sure that there will be idiots that will go off the deep end with jealousy and rage. It would likely be a rough transition for a few weeks/months

That video really speaks to me in that lane splitting is truly practical and gives us more control over our situation and can be a great asset when used with restraint.

· Registered
234 Posts
Going after a motorcycle is the hardest and most dangerous. Then to chase for an infraction is not worth it. It's all about public safety. But maybe a motorcycle cop will. Also to chase a motorcycle you should use a helicopter and track it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.