Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I'm trying to talk my wife into riding a motorcycle when I get my 600(whenever that is). She doesn't seem to want to ride at all. Any ideas how I could get her interested?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
How often do you take her for rides? Also, keep in mind, some people just aren't meant to be on bikes.... An irrational fear/disgust/dislike with them might be sign of that...

·
Registered
274 Posts
However.. Navy Ninja.. if she is not interested in riding at all, I'd let it be. If she is ok with you going off and riding without her... ijs, some alone time inside the helmet is always good.

It's nice to do things together, but also nice to not. imo

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
I'd love to know the secret!

After going for my long ride yesterday by myself I was thinking how much I'd like to bring my girl on this trip so she could enjoy the views... That said, some of the dirt wouldn't have been as fun (or easy) with someone on the back, so getting her on a little 250 or 400 would be PERFECT!

She got learners and was all fired up to do a course but thats slowed down a bit... Might find some flat dirt somewhere and get her on my bike just to get the feel.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we go on little rides here and there when we get the chance and she has no problems with that. she finds the back very uncomfortable and when i gave her, her first lesson she was uncomfy bc the bike is too tall for her. I'm gonna lower it and see how she feels about it then.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Wifey didn't want me having all of the fun by my self so she jumped in and got her license at the same time! While she hasn't ridden as often as me, and she is more often on the back of the 650R these days, she still enjoys getting on the 250 for some fun!

·
Registered
726 Posts
My wife tried running around a parking lot once, on my 650. I quickly determined the best course of action would be to enroll her in MSF class, and let her drop their bike (not mine).

When she completed the 3-day class, I was amazed at how well she could perform slow-speed maneuvers. This from a person, who had never ridden anything heavier than a bicycle before.

Went bike shopping for her, the following weekend. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
spent 2 years on the back of a suzuki 650sv.

But like others have said - people either love or hate riding - some people just don't want to be doing it, and no convincing will change that.

Take her for a spin on the back of yours (geared up, of course). Nice long curvy roads in the country are what got me wanting to try the controls :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Riding solo isn't for everyone

Years ago, when I started learning, I was all set to buy my wife a motorcycle, so that we could ride together. However, after my riding for a few thousand miles, I was convinced that she could not process the amount of information that constantly comes at the rider while riding... I was (and still am) very afraid that she would have a wreck if she tried to ride by herself. Some people are not ready to take responsibility for not only what they should be doing, but to be ready for other drivers invading their right of way, as cagers constantly do to motorcyclists.
I love my wife very much, and am not putting her down. If she had a burning desire to ride, she could learn the necessary skills, but she does not have this, and as such would not approach it with enough respect for it to develop the hyper-aware state necessary to survive on a motorcycle.

She was very uncomfortable on my first two bikes (1983 Honda Nighthawk, and 1998 Honda Shadow Aero), so we went and bought the 1997 Honda Goldwing. She LOVES riding with me on that machine! :dance:
The rest of the time, she drives a cage...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very true. She's ridden on the back of mine a few times. She gets very uncomfortable due to the sport bike seating and such which I can understand. I'm going to lower the bike so that she feels more comfy on it and see how she feels that way. If she doesn't like it then I will let it go. No use her feeling uncomfortable in any way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I went for a surprise ride with a friend, and from that moment I was hooked!

As for trying to get your girl into it, I think its a judgement call. It could be that she's just not interested in riding on her own, or it could be a fear thing that once she's over it'll be smooth sailing. I loved riding with my friend, but once I was on my own bike I had a bit of the fear obstacle to overcome. Best of luck.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info Sheila! I think her main thing is fear of falling over. After her first lesson she was like, "wow, it's kind of like riding a bycicle." Glad she got that part which helped her realize its not as hard as it seems.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Thanks for the info Sheila! I think her main thing is fear of falling over. After her first lesson she was like, "wow, it's kind of like riding a bycicle." Glad she got that part which helped her realize its not as hard as it seems.
oh dear... what have I done... If you're pulling Sheila from her intro thread where I corrected Zandit I wasn't specific enough, and you need some more Aussie culture.... "sheila" is the feminine counterpart to "mate" in Aussie.... so women = sheilas, and men = mate... Correct me if I'm wrong Aussies...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.