Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like this is a reality. This is released in Canada for 2011. Canadian Kawasaki Motors has priced the 2011 Ninja 400R at CA$7,499 (US$7,240), less expensive than the 650R (CA$8,699/US$8400), and with an engine displacement under 400cc, insurance would be much less in some provinces as well.

Like its big brother, the 400R is powered by a liquid-cooled fuel injected Parallel Twin engine, except with a 399cc displacement. With a 68.4mm bore and a 54.3mm stroke, Kawasaki says the engine offers 42hp at 9500rpm and 27 ft-lb. at 7500rpm (compared to the 650R’s claimed 71hp at 8500rpm and 49 ft-lb. at 7000rpm).

Also like the 650R, the 450R’s trellis frame, swingarm and offset laydown rear shock form a straight line from steering head to rear axle. The rear shock has adjustable preload, while up front is a 41mm telescopic fork.

Other features include a MotoGP-inspired multi-function display, built-in front turn signals and LED tail light. It will be available in Lime Green and Metallic Spark Black.
Check the Kawasaki Canada website. There is no word on whether it is coming to the States. (More than likely not.)

http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/ninja-400r:1256

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/2011-kawasaki-ninja-400r-for-canada-89690.html

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2011models/2011-Kawasaki-Ninja400R.htm

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Mmmm, that looks familiar!!! I've sen this on many other forums, and it identical in everyway except the engine. Engine is supposedly resleeved from the 650r.

Only issue I see with it is it has the same weight, but less power than the 650R. BUt the 650R has heaps anyway, so it may be aimed at learners more than experienced riders.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That seems typical... the rest of the world gets the good lightweights! I guess we should be greatful for the New Ninja.

Honda refuses to sell a sportbike, with less than 600cc's in the States, but then they spun three new Harley look-a-likes off the Fury. Suzuki's GS500 is an excellent bike, but it's about 20 years old. Same as the 500 Ninja. What gives, Japan?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KURT said:
That seems typical... the rest of the world gets the good lightweights! What gives, Japan?
The rest of the world has different restrictions on motorcycles. In the States, the sky is the limit. So why try to push small inexpensive bikes to a country that really does not care for them. You sell that country your most expensive product. Just good business sense. Even the insurance companies take advantage of that.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Whats the comparison between the 500, and this new 400 power and weight wise? Perhaps this could be it's replacement!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
2009 was the last model for the 500 (in Canada at least), so 2011 makes it 2 years with no model. I was anticipating the 500 would return with a shiny new look, but now that this 400 is becoming available, I'll bet the 500 is out.

This bike looks like it could be a great ride. I'm a little surprised at how closely it looks to the existing 650R. Unlike the 250 this one may have no look or personality of its own... but I find myself interested.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Yup, 500 is gone. And that 400 looks appealing, except that it looks exactly like a 650R.... No offense Zandit, I just think the 250 is sexier.... And it should've been a I4.... But hey, I'm weird...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
My 2 cents
I love it . I cant understand why other manufactures don't make any sport bikes except replica racers.(600 or1000 inline four) The 650 or 250 is what I want to ride on the street.The inline fours especially small ones don't have the torque that makes street riding fun.Keeping an engine on boil and shifting gets old .Then there is night and rain riding.
I HOPE the 400 is not a small bore 650. I would hate to see a big 650 with a little 400 engine. What I want to see is a 250 with a 400 engine.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Yup I was afraid of this. Ninja 400... 447 lb ninja 650... 449 lb. it seems to me like it is a 650 with 150cc less motor. WHY? .

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Felix, the new ZX10R is reported to have been reworked fully, here's some of the features below.

Variable valve timing and lift
Big bang engine design - straight from MotoGP
Next generation electronic controls with switchable traction control
Bosch anti-lock braking system
rumour is they have been working on an electronic suspension too.

·
Registered
726 Posts
spooph said:
Yup, 500 is gone. And that 400 looks appealing, except that it looks exactly like a 650R.... No offense Zandit, I just think the 250 is sexier.... And it should've been a I4.... But hey, I'm weird...

I gotta agree with spoof, the styling could have used a bit more updating. My wife and I have been out several times, when folks have walked right past my 650R, to check out her 250.

As for the weight... not good. The 650 has plenty of power to overcome it's weight, but it just isn't as much fun to corner. That's why I'm always buggin the wife to ride her 250!

·
Registered
173 Posts
this bike just seems like a complete waste of time to me. There are so many better and more practical options.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree this is a situation that might have had a lot of potential, sadly this bike is not the case. Must have been the result of a few different factors. (1) Nothing a manufacture loves more than offering a new model consisting of parts they all ready have on the shelf. (2) If a model is succesful, offer it in a different size. This has been the evolution of motorcycles by engine class for at least the last 3 decades. Long ago 350's were popular, then were upgraded to 400's . If 400 was good than a 500 must be better? Next move, bump it up to a 550. Remember the GPZ 550 ? One of the best Kawasaki's ever. In this case the evolution was reversed. (3) Marketing. Kawasaki I'm sure is well aware that they own the 250 class, there is nothing else out there, period. But likewise they know, a certain number of Ninja 250 riders will decide to move on. While the most logical choice would be to go with a 600 or 650, creating a 400 provides a safe in-between point. Especially with re-sizing a model that has already proved it's self. And again a model with no competition. The Ninja 500 would need major ( expensive ) upgrades. Cheaper to make changes to the 650. This bike more than likely will not be sold in the U.S. While it might sell for a thousand dollars less than the 650, having less power but carrying the same weight would not make sense nor make me want to buy it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Throttle Rocket said:
Nothing a manufacture loves more than offering a new model consisting of parts they all ready have on the shelf. (2) If a model is succesful, offer it in a different size. This has been the evolution of motorcycles by engine class for at least the last 3 decades.
Then why not punch out the current engine to 350cc's, and upgrade the driveline to match?
Really, to think about it... putting a less-powerful engine, in a heavy chasis is just nuts. (de-evolution) Kawi really screwed the pooch this time.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wooow!
No love for the 400?. My guess is that Kawasaki thought this might be the fulfillment of 250 Ninja dreams with more HP, bigger tires and bigger bike everything. The insurance for the bike has to be a little lower than a 600+ bike too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts