Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i did it!! The K&N r-0990 replacement and i was looking for some feedback if anyone else did it. it was a hell of a job getting the stock air box out of there. I seen somewhere that Travisty had done it. I was about half way done when i PMed him and asked what he did. After i did it i noticed that i did the same thing. Here you go... http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=R-0990

Pull all the plastics, un-bolt the battery and remove it, remove the rear mud flap (unplug all the connectors.. Don't worry though, they're all unique), take all of the screws out (there are a LOT!) that hold the two halves together. Separate them and remove the metal mesh that's in there (it kind of holds the two halves together if you try to just pull it out with it still in there). Undo the air box from the carbs (I found it was easiest to just pull it towards the back of the bike and it will just slide off the neck of the carb) then pull one half of the box (it's easiest to start with the small piece on the right) up through the top of the frame, then the other half.

It's going to take a while to do.. But it runs SO much better afterwards! Just get it re-jetted! A simple shim of the needles won't do. Grab a couple beers, relax with it, and if you find something getting stuck and you getting frustrated, remember: finesse, not force!
At the end i had screws & bolts all over the place. I was just glad that i put all of them back & at the end i didn't have any left over besides the two that bolt that air box on.

I already did a needle shim. Would that be enough to do it again? I added 2 already. Would another 2 do it? whatcha think? I removed the rubber hose that runs to the motor. it sounds real beefy now. I was thinking about plugging it so it wouldn't be so raspy. I really can't hear what RPM the motor is at i just hear... a whole lot of noise.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I shimmed the needles two more so that's a total of 4 #4 washers on each. It rides great now. No dead spots so the fun band is a little bit bigger now. I added the rubber hose back so there is not so much motor noise in the front of the bike. There is a suction on the line so I'm a little worried about the air quality not being as clean as it would be with a filter.

So this is probably as beefiest 250 that you can get!! It sounds like a BEAST!

What it's breathing through before...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30514454&l=cebfcd3d58&id=1175310042

How it's breathing now...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30514453&l=de8730705c&id=1175310042

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will but I think it's worth it. it feels like a real motorcycle now. If you allow more air flow you can add more fuel to burn and it will raise your acceleration. I got 68 mpg's before i shimmed my needles with the HMF. I did a 15/42 sprocket change so that raised my MPG already. After i shimmed them it really brought the bike to life. It brought the MPG's down to 64. And now with this i'll probably have 61... 60 or so. I'm going to ride a tank and see where I'm at. I just got a 38 tooth sprocket I'm going to change out here in a little bit to bring my MPG's up again. I just use my 250 to cruise on the highways on long trips. This is a great little bike!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey RedRider what do you think? I went to the dealer today to get a jet kit and he was like, "why didn't you just get a 6R?" Well i can't ride all day and i want something to work on... on the bike. I got the stage 2 dynojet kit on the way... We'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forget the K&N R-0990 change out. it's too much hard ache to out weigh the benefits. I have to get a filter wrap so i can ride it in a hard rain and i still have to get a breather for the crank case and i put a screen on the hose that takes air from the air box that mixes with the exhaust to make it pass emissions. IDK maybe i'll like it when i get all of the stuff put together. I just browsed through the Dynojet install and it doesn't look too bad. With that air box out of the way getting to the carburetor should be a breeze

$90 dynojet stage 2 kit... Neat...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a video of what? The whole set up?... I might do that tomorrow... It runs... well it runs... now w/ 4 washers on each. it's real ghetto rigged right now. Getting this whole dynojet done will be nice.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jet kit finally came in today so i spent the afternoon working on the bike. I started it up and i let it warm up. It rode alright but i think i still have some work to do on it. It comes with a great guide so I'm going to ride it for a while and see where i have to go from here. As of right now it loves it around 6,000 rpm. I can feel the whole bike pull through a corner. I'll ride it a week and we'll see where i have to go from here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah that's why i restricted the air flow with two pieces of plexiglass on the top and bottom. Last night i just got myself some assurance for the rain. A buddy of mine canceled so the lake was out of the question. i took the time and i put the air box back in. I re-jetted the carb again for the lack of air flow. I stopped after i got the carb out for dinner and i was done by ten o'clock. Could really tell the difference in performance. Maybe a K&N drop in filter would be the ticket.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30564912&l=54c0f579a2&id=1175310042

I really had to strip the bike down to get the whole air box to slide in but it was worth the assurance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.