Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally here! I ordered a universal k&n filter for the ninja almost a month ago through my dealership and it finally came in. The dealership is a joke. They are listed as a distributor, yet they didn't order my filter directly from k&n, they ordered from another distributor who didn't have it..so they order from somewhere else...whatever. I would have ordered right from k&n myself, but I had a gift card from the dealership because they screwed up on the first service. Sounds like a great place huh?

I will be installing this very soon. I am going to do before and after dyno runs to see if and where power would be improved. My theory is that the stock airbox provides good low/mid range power but is restricting up top, and installing the k&n will drop some power low/mid and increase up top - but a dyno will tell me if I'm wrong. I will also do a full writeup (and maybe a video) on installing the filter.

Here's a few pics of the filter (k&n part number R-0990)

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Sweet. Im gonna order one tomorrow. It would be great if you would be able to do a step by step install with pics.

·
Registered
80 Posts
StockWall said:
Sweet. Im gonna order one tomorrow. It would be great if you would be able to do a step by step install with pics.
I would wait until we at least test fit the thing before you going buying one. Still a possibility it won't work...

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I was going to install this and do another dyno run, but I decided to go another route first. I don't believe the exhaust is a much bigger restriction than the intake at this point, so swapping the intake is only going to make a slight difference. I will be doing the exhaust work, then come back to the K&N filter. I have a cheap (and hopefully affective) plan for the exhaust; Stay tuned for more info!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
trykp, the number is in the first post.

dewby, I haven't installed it yet. I figured the exhaust was the bigger restriction so I focused on that first. Once that is all wrapped up I will give you guys ALL the info on the k&n install/results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i was wondering if you had a chance to install the filter. i am planning on getting one but i want to make sure it will fit first.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Depends on where you go and what you're doing exactly. If you're tuning is usually around 70-90/hr. I'm doing just a few HP pulls, and its $30. Finding a place with a bike dyno can be tough depending on where you live. Luckily in PHX the riding season is pretty much year round...so quite a few bike shops down here.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts