Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Rascal!!! as with Felix, I look forward to seeing some pics!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I am very interested in the 400 engine. I wounder if it is all new . Is it the same size engine as the 650 reguarding outside dementions? Or is it just a 650 engine with smaller pistons?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Yeah X, From all information I have read, it is a re-sleeved 650R engine, apart from that the rest of the bike is identical!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, a Canuck from BC.

I don't know much about the 650r, but they do look similar and they seem to be compared a lot. I'm not a very tall person, to the size of the 400r appealled to me. It also seems better balances than the other 400 twins I've owned. I'm still breaking it in, but it seems to have a narrow powerband in the higher revs.

It's not as powerful as the ZX6, but I love it though! It's just great for jaunting around.

I'll post pics as soon as I can figure it out. (Where do people usually host their photos?)

Also, this thing doesn't have a centre stand, I guess I'll have to buy stands just to check the oil level? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Pics

Ok, I think i figured it out... here are some pics.

From all information I have read, it is a re-sleeved 650R engine, apart from that the rest of the bike is identical!
Zandit, that's what I thought, but the sales guys assured me it was a new engine built for the 400r. But then, that was the sales guy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Nice Rascal! I never get tired of looking at that bike!! I'm p*ssed though that your bike comes standard with the grab handles on the back, they finish off the look nicely. But then again, I have the givi rack on the back so it doesn't matter now!
Do you have any plans for mods?
Check out these guys, they have a huge range of products, but you might need someone on the other side of the border for shipping, to Oz and Canada they are a little pricey on freight.
[URL]http://www.motospecialties.com/store.asp?store=Ninja650Shop[/URL]

If you look at the specs of the 650 and 400 side by side, there are too many similarities, especially the engine specs(stroke etc) even the weight is near identical. If they had designed a new engine then surely there would be more differences.

Just on another note, do you know what the power output is on the 400R? The 650 puts out about 70HP, so it would be interesting to see the difference!

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Kawasaki claims 44 hp @ 9,500 rpms. 27 lb-ft of torque @ 7,500 rpms. In a road test by Cycle Canada magazine - they loved the 400r - they cruised at 120km/hr at 7,000rpm (I think it redlines around 12,000?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Redline is marked at 11,000 revs. I find that the powerband seems to start around 7k.

Which brings me to my concerns about breaking in the bike. I know there's a bit of controversy about how to properly break in an engine, often against the instructions of the owner's manual.

As this this is my first NEW bike, I was told to ride the hell out of it. Although I haven't been gengerly with it, I haven't been redlining it either.

I've read the thread on breaking in an engine ([url]http://www.newninja.com/forums/f97/engine-breakin-period-3974.html[/URL]) and I don't want to rehash what was said there. I hadn't planned any specific kind of riding for specific lengths of time. Do I need to spend more time on this?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Kawasaki claims 44 hp @ 9,500 rpms. 27 lb-ft of torque @ 7,500 rpms. In a road test by Cycle Canada magazine - they loved the 400r - they cruised at 120km/hr at 7,000rpm (I think it redlines around 12,000?)
Thats very interesting you saying that Boar, when on the highway, I am only doing about 5500rpms at around 110-120km/hr. On the 250, it sits about 7000rpms doesn't it?

I've hit the limiter at about 11500rpms in first was doing about 85km/hr, wasn't expecting it cause I thought the limit was at 12k!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My Versys, being a very similar motor to you 650 Ninja revs about the same as you on the hiway.

But, I seem to remember that at about 120km/hr, my Ninja was reving close to 9,000 rpms.

Anyone else? 9 grand on the tach @ 120km or 75mph?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
You might be right now that I think about it!! It has been too long since I last rode it!

·
Registered
726 Posts
My Versys, being a very similar motor to you 650 Ninja revs about the same as you on the hiway.

But, I seem to remember that at about 120km/hr, my Ninja was reving close to 9,000 rpms.

Anyone else? 9 grand on the tach @ 120km or 75mph?
By my guages, 4000 rpm in high gear is an indicated 55 mph... Probably 50 mph in the real world. 8k would be an indicated 110, and above my pay grade. :nonono:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.