Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone out there rides an 07-08 zx6r or knows someone who does and have done the jumper mod? I'm debating doing it with my bike but still on the fence, any opinions? Also, what's the best thing to do(paper clip, tie the wires, etc). Please only serious responses.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Not really a helpful response, but what is the Jumper mod you are referring to?
I've heard of it before, but didn't find out what it is.

·
1,458 Posts
Not really a helpful response, but what is the Jumper mod you are referring to? I've heard of it before, but didn't find out what it is.
sorry bud. I have heard of it but not sure to what they are jumping. I now at one time it was the smog pump. Then there was a positive vacuum modification on the crank case that gave like 10 hp at the rear wheel. Not sure which mod the zx6 has now. I'll try to look into it. Almost everyone I ride with has either the r6 or the Gsxr 600 for the smaller 600's. Other than them I ride with lots of r1's and zx10's

·
1,458 Posts
Even though Momma always said, “There’s no such thing as a free lunch,” Kawasaki fans have been telling us otherwise. Rumor has it that by connecting a few wires and completing the “jumper mod,” your ZX-6R will instantly gain free top-end power. According to the myth, not all ZX-6Rs have the hidden power locked within—just the 2005-2008 models. With evidence aplenty across the Internet it was hard to believe this rumor might be pure hogwash, but we hit the dyno to confirm or refute it anyways.
**The Test
** Since the most accessible place to accurately test power gains is a dyno (track testing is also great, but a bit more complicated) we paid a visit to our local dyno shop to see where the truth lies.
With a stock 2008 ZX-6R up to normal operating temperature we made a succession of pulls to the tune of a lackluster 98.7 HP and 43.3 LB-FT at the tire. Roughly five minutes later the drum was again spun with the jumper mod in place. This time, the Ninja threw down 104.8 HP and 43.1 LB-FT at identical coolant and oil temps.
As always, the runs were done on the same dyno, on the same day and without removing the bike from the dyno or varying strap tension.
MYTH: CONFIRMED

In a few short moments a small piece of metal bridged the gap between two wires on the ’08 ZX-6R and successfully increased power by 6.1 HP with little changes to torque at peak. Along with the solid outright gains, a closer look at the dyno revealed the stock curve falling off beyond 12,000 RPM. With the jumper mod in place however, power continued to climb to 14,000 RPM before eventually signing off. This increase in top-end steam not only produced harder acceleration, but also more over-rev, which makes it easier to carry a lower gear between corners instead of up-shifting. Also note that while outright torque numbers didn’t change, the torque curve held on longer into the rev range with the jumper mod installed.
This bump in top-end power comes courtesy of unlocking the European map that utilizes a more aggressive timing curve. The North American map pulls timing up top for emissions reasons. We weren’t able to get anyone on record at Team Green to explain the reasoning for the softer timing curve and power delivery, but we suspect it’s to help pass tail pipe and sound regulations since other bikes like the current CBR1000RR, ZX-10R and previous R6 models have had similarly soft ignition maps from the factory.

Attachments

·
1,458 Posts
Even though Momma always said, “There’s no such thing as a free lunch,” Kawasaki fans have been telling us otherwise. Rumor has it that by connecting a few wires and completing the “jumper mod,” your ZX-6R will instantly gain free top-end power. According to the myth, not all ZX-6Rs have the hidden power locked within—just the 2005-2008 models. With evidence aplenty across the Internet it was hard to believe this rumor might be pure hogwash, but we hit the dyno to confirm or refute it anyways. **The Test ** Since the most accessible place to accurately test power gains is a dyno (track testing is also great, but a bit more complicated) we paid a visit to our local dyno shop to see where the truth lies. With a stock 2008 ZX-6R up to normal operating temperature we made a succession of pulls to the tune of a lackluster 98.7 HP and 43.3 LB-FT at the tire. Roughly five minutes later the drum was again spun with the jumper mod in place. This time, the Ninja threw down 104.8 HP and 43.1 LB-FT at identical coolant and oil temps. As always, the runs were done on the same dyno, on the same day and without removing the bike from the dyno or varying strap tension. MYTH: CONFIRMED In a few short moments a small piece of metal bridged the gap between two wires on the ’08 ZX-6R and successfully increased power by 6.1 HP with little changes to torque at peak. Along with the solid outright gains, a closer look at the dyno revealed the stock curve falling off beyond 12,000 RPM. With the jumper mod in place however, power continued to climb to 14,000 RPM before eventually signing off. This increase in top-end steam not only produced harder acceleration, but also more over-rev, which makes it easier to carry a lower gear between corners instead of up-shifting. Also note that while outright torque numbers didn’t change, the torque curve held on longer into the rev range with the jumper mod installed. This bump in top-end power comes courtesy of unlocking the European map that utilizes a more aggressive timing curve. The North American map pulls timing up top for emissions reasons. We weren’t able to get anyone on record at Team Green to explain the reasoning for the softer timing curve and power delivery, but we suspect it’s to help pass tail pipe and sound regulations since other bikes like the current CBR1000RR, ZX-10R and previous R6 models have had similarly soft ignition maps from the factory.
http://youtu.be/GyqPUuVnliU. Here's what I found. I saw several videos and they all did and say the same thing. Yellow and black wire jumped to the aqua colored with with the gold dots. Paper clips are most common as well as guitar string. This is effective because it's like a ecu flash in a way. It allows the European model timing curve to run over the U.S. Timing curve. A ecu flash is mainly timing curve adjustments with unlock able features such as higher rpm for redline, error code removal etc. Ecu flashes generally are done to increase horsepower lost by the emission controls hardware and software this giving you a bike designed to run without these limitation. Much like the European models hope this helps zan!!!!!

·
1,458 Posts
So you think this would be smart to do? I mean last thing I'd wanna do is mess up my ecu some how. But an extra 6-7 HP for the price of a paper clip?! It's so tempting!
yeah. That long part I posted was from cycle rider magazine. Saw probably 30 ppl running this mod and they all say the same thing so it seems pretty low risk. I would do it!!!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
How to: Jumper Mod - YouTube. Here's what I found. I saw several videos and they all did and say the same thing. Yellow and black wire jumped to the aqua colored with with the gold dots. Paper clips are most common as well as guitar string. This is effective because it's like a ecu flash in a way. It allows the European model timing curve to run over the U.S. Timing curve. A ecu flash is mainly timing curve adjustments with unlock able features such as higher rpm for redline, error code removal etc. Ecu flashes generally are done to increase horsepower lost by the emission controls hardware and software this giving you a bike designed to run without these limitation. Much like the European models hope this helps zan!!!!!
Way tog go Byte!! Thanks for that! Wish something like that was available for the 650's!:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.