Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the Jardine Fender Eliminator on my 2010. Other users' pictures and opinions helped me a lot in deciding what to buy, or not buy, so I thought I would return the favor and share.

The install is very easy; took (maybe) an hour (I was in no hurry).

Take off plastic, unbolt fender, bolt on Jardine fender eliminator in place, and splice license plate lights (if you bought those too).

The look is clean, but not as clean as others, but then there was no cutting required, so if you want to put the original back in place there will be no issues with that.

Pictures are on Flickr. Here.
Ninja 250 Jardine Fender Eliminator - a set on Flickr

The steel plate provided from Jardine is solid and heavy, not some cheap metal nor some cheap sheet metal (like some others I saw complaints about). It was $68. Good deal.

The only issue I have with the install is that if you also get the LED licence plate bolts/lights, the wires will be sticking out of the back of the plate and completely visible. Very ugly.

For California, the fender eliminator is legal (Veh. Code 27600 requiring fenders only applies to vehicles with "three or more wheels") but the lack of license plate lights are not legal.

In California, you must have license plate lights. White lights. They must light the license plate to be visible from 50 feet to the rear.

Cal Veh Code 24601 says "Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so
constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear
license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a
distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is
illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps
shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all
times."

I don't know what kind of LED light the Jardine lights are, but they suck, and no matter where you put them, they will not light the plate to be "clearly visible" from 50 feet. Jardine advertises that the lights are for "legal alumination." They are not, and I guess I should have known this, given that Jardine is too stupid to spell "illumination" correctly on their web site. My bad on that one. $25 wasted.

I need lights, so I did a modification and drilled holes on the sides of the rear lamp - 1. This hides the wires, and 2. This tries to comply with the law. It doesn't actually comply, but I don't drive a night very often. I will look around for a fix.

The other problem with the Jardine fender eliminator is that it takes off the reflector. You must have a reflector.

Veh. Code 24607 requires "Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as
follows:"

But only subsection (a) applies to motorcycles, which only requires, "at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances
within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the
lawful upper headlamp beams."

So, I bought a stick-on reflector, tried different positions, and measured off 350 feet to see if I could see my bike with the hi-beams on from my car. It works. More or less. I don't see a cop hassling me too much on that.

Ninja 250 Jardine Fender Eliminator
Ninja 250 Jardine Fender Eliminator - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
nice, and good law information! Any word on where you found these laws? Maybe, hopefully a quick reference web site?

Also, you said the eliminator is a no-cut eliminator, but it seems you've just eliminated that big ass stock fender... And I know the only to get that off, while keeping the stock inner fender, as it seems you have, is to cut it off, so what did you mean by this?

Looks clean. Very purdy dude!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice, and good law information! Any word on where you found these laws? Maybe, hopefully a quick reference web site?

Also, you said the eliminator is a no-cut eliminator, but it seems you've just eliminated that big ass stock fender... And I know the only to get that off, while keeping the stock inner fender, as it seems you have, is to cut it off, so what did you mean by this?

Looks clean. Very purdy dude!
Official California Legislative Information is one of many places with the full text of the vehicle code. Statutes can be a funny thing to read; the language might not always make sense to the average reader.

The Jardine eliminator is no-cut. You do not cut the fender to take it off, you just unbolt it, and bolt the Jardine piece in place. The inner pan is a separate piece. If I remember correctly, the fender is held on with four bolts, and two others that hold taillight.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Looks good. Think you'll be OK with the law, you've tried hard, come close, you're on the right page so to speak. Most cops would be good with it, only a real rule Nazi would dig around for such minor stuff. Having said that, it's ALWAYS wise to just try and not draw too much attention to yourself....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.