Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im a new rider. Bought a 2012 ninja 250r with 3000 miles on it the other day. I bought the bike because I drive 80 miles every day to work..gas saver ( at least thats the reason I told the wife) I really didnt buy it to run it fast but a nissan fronteer 4 banger pulled up beside me at a red light and decided he wanted to run. Light turned green we came off the line at the same time and through the half mile he tore me up by probably 4 or five truck lengths. I was so dissapointed..made me want to cry. I know this bike should be faster than that. I shifted out every gear between eight and eleven grand. On the way home I decided to try to find the top end on this bike. 90 was all I could get out of the it tucked in the racing in position. I love my bike but is this normal? Granted I am 5, 11" and 265lbs. Thanks again guys I've read a lot
of great things and I love this site and app.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
But still shouldn't I het a little more than that out of that bike? Im hoping to bump up to the 600 soon
Not sure.......?
I have a 650 sport....
Hopefully some of the other that have a small bike will come on n tell u more.
With what ur saying 4 ur size i'm thinking ur about twice the weight some of the guys on here are with the same size bikes that only get a bit over 100 out of their bikes....
Some a bit more modded out.....
I'm 5'7" 220 pounds....
N at times ride double up....
I went a 650 sport, and now wished i went a liter bike.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
630 Posts
Its like getting a Honda Fit and expecting it to beat anything. I factored the power issue when I searched for my first bike, I went with a '99 Ninja 500, I have enough power to go and more than enough power on the interstate. I gave it too much throttle and found myself quickly at 90MPH. I initially considered the 250, then I wanted a 600, but decided to wait until I was a bit more experienced first. You could always sell or trade it on craigslist for a 500 or 650.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Its like getting a Honda Fit and expecting it to beat anything. I factored the power issue when I searched for my first bike, I went with a '99 Ninja 500, I have enough power to go and more than enough power on the interstate. I gave it too much throttle and found myself quickly at 90MPH. I initially considered the 250, then I wanted a 600, but decided to wait until I was a bit more experienced first. You could always sell or trade it on craigslist for a 500 or 650.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
90 MPH....slow down girlie....
Ur gunna get a ticket....
Ur gunna have to do some monkey spanking to get out of it....LOL
:dance: :dance: :dance:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
630 Posts
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
90 MPH....slow down girlie....
Ur gunna get a ticket....
Ur gunna have to do some monkey spanking to get out of it....LOL
:dance: :dance: :dance:
Says the guy who went 130+ to pass some cruisers.. :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
jameskeyes1981 said:
Ok Im a new rider. Bought a 2012 ninja 250r with 3000 miles on it the other day. I bought the bike because I drive 80 miles every day to work..gas saver ( at least thats the reason I told the wife) I really didnt buy it to run it fast but a nissan fronteer 4 banger pulled up beside me at a red light and decided he wanted to run. Light turned green we came off the line at the same time and through the half mile he tore me up by probably 4 or five truck lengths. I was so dissapointed..made me want to cry. I know this bike should be faster than that. I shifted out every gear between eight and eleven grand. On the way home I decided to try to find the top end on this bike. 90 was all I could get out of the it tucked in the racing in position. I love my bike but is this normal? Granted I am 5, 11" and 265lbs. Thanks again guys I've read a lot
of great things and I love this site and app.
It's About right to be fair.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....I bought the bike because I drive 80 miles every day to work..gas saver ( at least thats the reason I told the wife) I really didnt buy it to run it fast but a nissan fronteer 4 banger pulled up beside me at a red light and decided he wanted to run. Light turned green we came off the line at the same time and through the half mile he tore me up by probably 4 or five truck lengths. I was so dissapointed..made me want to cry.
Sorry to hear you got smoked by a pick up truck, but in all honesty you let it happen. You brought a pocket knife to a sword fight. Think about it.... 26 HP vs. 150 HP ! Yes the little Ninja is quick and nimble gas saver. Gas savers are not dragsters at all. Although it's quite able to take most vehicles in a 0-60 and maybe a good 50% of them in a 1/4 mile, but after that you will get your ass handed to you if 1.) you can't ride 2.) your bike is not tweaked to run a little faster 3.) you race anything farther than the next stop light.

Way to hang coming off the line though!! I doubt the guy in the pick up truck knew he was racing a lawn mower. Next time pick on somebody your own size like a Harley or some old guy on a Red 650 about 5'7" 220 pounds, riding 2 up.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That level of performance is about right, considering your weight. You need torque to accelerate, and the little Ninja isn't very strong in that department. Being a big guy, the lack of torque will reduce your acceleration noticeably.

I would consider something with decent low and mid-range torque as your next bike, not a high-revving 600. A Ninja 650, Versys, VStrom, or something along those lines would be my recommendation.

Jay

·
Registered
630 Posts
I doubt the guy in the pick up truck knew he was racing a lawn mower. Next time pick on somebody your own size like a Harley or some old guy on a Red 650 about 5'7" 220 pounds, riding 2 up.
Or try racing a lawn mower, just hope it isn't one of those tweaked ones people use for racing, then you're screwed.

But seriously, power should have been considered when you were looking for a bike. If you own the bike (Title in hand) you could list it on craigslist or something and then take the cash from that to find a bigger bike.

·
Registered
233 Posts
heh... ya.. the 250 doesn't really shine at high speeds

personally i just love the bike because of the initial acceleration... i'm not a speed demon.. but i like launching from 0-60 relatively quickly.. at least faster than most cars. I often hop up to near red line for giggles or relief, but i never expect or want it to go 100MPH... that's just too fast for street use

fastest i've gotten mine was i think 95ish on an empty highway at night... took me probably 4 or 5 seconds to get there from 60MPH while in 6th gear

just enjoy the bike for what it is.. it'll give you better gas mileage than a 650 for commuting, but it won't get you the kicks or level of danger from irresponsibility that a bigger bike would. I think of mine as a self limiter.. i'm forced to get really good at riding to bring the best out of what i have

·
Registered
630 Posts
No joke, I thought of this thread when I was in town today and some guy was holding up traffic driving a riding mower on main street. Hicks and their never ending need to be inconsiderate pricks, I'll never understand you and quite frankly I don't want to; but I digress.

·
1,458 Posts
No way be glad u got 90. You need a 1000 due to your size. A 600 min. You do reAlize your on a bike thats the equivalent of 4 chainsaw engines. Bike looks good bro but be realistic. Is it a commuter or were u thinking you were getting a performance bike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hahaahaha Glad everyone got a good laugh out of my thread.. LOL No really I bought the bike for commute and because of gas milage and just because I was a beginer. I knew it wouldnt top out very fast but I thought I would get better than 90 out of it. No big deal but calls I'm just using it to go back and forth to work and saving a ton of gas doing it. I do have one more question though I'm sure there are a few things I can do to modify my bike and get a little more out of it can some of you guys tell me what I can do? Like for instance hey open air intake, or ram air ect. I already plan to change sprockets soon but what else can I do at home to get a little more out of the bike. Thanks again guys y'all are great

·
Registered
674 Posts
You won't see any significant gains from simple mods on the little Ninja.

Gearing down will give you more acceleration, but increase your cruise RPM and drop your MPG. Gearing up will drop your cruise RPM but hurt your acceleration.

You need more torque.

If you like good mileage, you can still do pretty well with a 650 twin. My '06 SV650n does 55 MPG at 70+ MPH. It's geared up 1T on the countershaft but doesn't have any fairings except a small one on the headlight that doesn't do much.

A Versys or VStrom might even do better MPG with more wind protection.

Jay

·
1,458 Posts
As far as mods go u will not see or in many case not notice performance mods. Motor is too small for any one or two things to make a huge difference. If u want to go faster put it in the back of you truck and have someone drive you around at 100. Haha. Jk. Yeah gearing will help with your acceleration but you will lose top end. But for a bigger guy commuting this may definately help with the lack of power you feel. Keep in mind every 3.6 lbs is the equivalent of 1 hp on most bikes. On your maybe a little more but. Being a bigger guy on a small bike has its own difficulties

1 - 20 of 23 Posts