Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible for your tires to be blown out from under you? I ask this because back when i first got my bike, i remember riding on the highway and having some serious wind blow me around.. kind of scared me.

I doubt it's possible, but i just thought i'd throw the question out there for some shits and giggles.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I'd guess that would depend on weight and how hard the wind is blowing.
I've driven in some strong winds before on a bike along the coast.
Don't have any idea really how hard they was, but.....
I was really in a sideways position, but going straight down the road.
Was a bit scary, but it felt like i was in good control.
I guess there's a fine line there tho.
One sec. ur in control, and the next ur scraping tar.
Who's next to comment?
Maybe someone who drives in Tornado ally?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
..is it possible for your tires to be blown out from under you?
Absolutely. Of course that all depends on a few factors. Your speed, wind speed and friction. If barely creeping along in extreme high winds, you would have more time to react and possibly correct deviations from your intended course. Flying along at full throttle would not offer much time to correct a deviation. Now throw in some wind blown debris like sand and the friction between the road and your tires is compromised. Pushing/leaning sideways to resist the wind can push the tires beyond their limit, resulting in a skid or lose of traction. Even a pebbled or small graveled road is enough to cause traction lose without wind, now factor in high winds and trying to make steering corrections, you can have your wheels blown out from under the bike.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Absolutely. Of course that all depends on a few factors. Your speed, wind speed and friction. If barely creeping along in extreme high winds, you would have more time to react and possibly correct deviations from your intended course. Flying along at full throttle would not offer much time to correct a deviation. Now throw in some wind blown debris like sand and the friction between the road and your tires is compromised. Pushing/leaning sideways to resist the wind can push the tires beyond their limit, resulting in a skid or lose of traction. Even a pebbled or small graveled road is enough to cause traction lose without wind, now factor in high winds and trying to make steering corrections, you can have your wheels blown out from under the bike.
Sounds like road rash ass 2 me

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well... that's a frightening idea... how high of winds are we talking about though?..

and now i'm also wondering... do you typically regain traction if you run over a pebble or something in the road? I like to exit my (United States roads)left turns going about 25/30 MPH when i'm having fun, and i've always been aware that it's a risk since you never know what's on public roads. Or lets say even a little hole in the road that your contact patch happens to go over

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Common sense....:whistling:
If u have any...:rolleyes:
Use it....:thumb:
If u don't...:eek:
Sooner or later ur gunna crash...:dance:
We'll wanna see the road rash pics here of course....
:whistling:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
... how high of winds are we talking about though?..

and now i'm also wondering... do you typically regain traction if you run over a pebble or something in the road?
Typically sustained winds (15mph and below) are easier to negotiate as the wind speed and direction is pretty predictable. It's the unexpected high wind gust that represent the most problem. There are TWO times when a high crosswinds (20-30 mph) change your bike's direction of travel: when it hits, and when it stops. Both require you and the bike to respond and use normal modest counter-steering. (When it quits you will be leaned over and, as a result, your bike will move towards where the wind WAS coming from until you straighten it up.

You can normally regain traction when running over pebbles or gravel, but leaned over in a high crosswind can add a small degree of pucker factor. Leaned over in a curve with gravel or pebbles can be a disaster waiting to happen, again depending on your speed, wind speed and direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.