Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, odd but true. 2001 ninja 250. I got it 3 weeks ago. Now it only will run on reserve fuel. It has plenty of gas but if it is set on regular tank it runs for about 10 seconds, sputters and dies. But if it is set to reserve fuel, runs just fine...WHY??

·
Registered
66 Posts
hm, I had a similar issue with my 91 Ford F150. When switched to the reserve tank, the truck would die almost immediately. The dealer warned me before I bought it, said he talked to his mechanic and the guy said it was no big deal and the truck is fine... the backup just didn't work. Not sure if that helps at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
reading the 08+ manual, if i understand it correctly.... it seems that you gotta take off the petcock from the gas tank and soak it in a high-flash point solvent (still haven't figured out which ones fall into this category). soak it in one petcock setting, and change it to the next setting and soak more. dry with compressed air.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
sound wave said:
spooph said:
high flash point solvent = rubbing alcohol, gasoline, carb cleaner, anything that can be lit on fire and burn all your eye brows off in a "flash". :D
i thought those things are considered a "low flash point" solvent.... doesn't take much heat to ignite.
um, you be right on the gasoline, I believe. I can't make a whole heck of a lot of sense from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

But I've used the above mentioned products to clean various parts of fuel systems and make them work again... :D Oh, and I've never burned off my eye brows from cleaning bikes and things...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awsome, thanks, you guys rock, but one more question, I don't have a manual for my bike, anyone got an online source or know how to get the pet cock off?? I am new to this :) thankx

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gdale250 said:
Awsome, thanks, you guys rock, but one more question, I don't have a manual for my bike, anyone got an online source or know how to get the pet cock off?? I am new to this :) thankx
drain fuel, remove the gas tank, flip tank over. petcock is just held on by 2 bolts. to put back on, torque to 22 inch/lbs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gdale250 said:
anyone got an online source or know how to get the pet cock off?? I am new to this :) thankx
haha, sorry my mind was being dirty when I read this. had a good laugh though. let us know how this goes. it shouldn't be too hard and like zartan said, check the filter screen to make sure it isn't clogged.

·
Registered
274 Posts
dknollRX7 said:
Gdale250 said:
anyone got an online source or know how to get the pet cock off?? I am new to this :) thankx
haha, sorry my mind was being dirty when I read this. had a good laugh though.

I'm glad someone else saw that? It sounds like a bad joke. How do you I get my pet cock off? Get a pet hen and let her rub it til it cums clean? Or depending on your preference you could use your other pet cock. OMG, it's too early for that.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
while you are at it . make sure the vacuum line to the engine is OK and working . I think but I may be wrong . but reserve bypasses the vacuum shutoff .So if the hose is off or clogged the engine will only get fuel in reserve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.