Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the correct idle speed? Mine is set right under 2000 and does not sound high. I say in a forum I read somewhere it should be set at 1250? Any ideas

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
2000 is too high, that will just waste gas. Idle speed isn't super critcal though, just keep it somewhere between 1000 and 1500.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Yes, Tuning plays a huge part in how well the engine runs. Turblown can elaborate on this more, but I know he has done lots of tuning on rx7's, which HATE to idle smoothly, and usually misfire a bit. But if you find the right air/fuel mixture, and set the timing right they will idle sooo smooth.

Syncing carbs can make a huge difference. If they are off, 1 cylinder is firing at 95% and the 100%. Now imagine walking with a bum knee...you dont walk smoothly. Same kinda principal...

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Hey Nick, I know your probably drunk right now celebrating your B-day, but were you still gonna do a right up on how to do shim your carbs?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
My bike just hit about 1000 miles and some change and it feels like a whole different bike. Feels great! Im not sure what happened, but it was like I just woke up and the bike was smoother, faster, pulled harder, idled better (around 800-1000). I say if you have 800 miles or less, let the bike be and then start adjusting things after the break in period or so.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Haha...yeah I was quite drunk...and that was HOURS before I went to bed, lol. Yeah, I'm ballin rich with the muffler orders comming in. Write-up is comin soon. Sorry guys, I know I've been letting you down with the vids and write-ups...I've just been so damn busy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don't want the idle speed to high on a carb'd bike because it will start dipping into other circuits making the idle quality crappy. Do you have vacuum leaks? You can't have any with carbs...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts