Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 04 250. Off of craigslist. Has not even 7k in mileage. The guy said the bike was sitting in his garage for two years. A good friend of man had some spare carbs so we switched mine out with his. So here lies the problem. There is old fuel and new fuel that I added in, along with seafoam to help clean it out a bit. My bike is also due for an oilchange just haven't had the time to do it. My bike starts up fine, but it idles at high rpms.The choke has to be fully open for my bike to stay on. I know its a cold starter because its carbourated, but I ride it around a bit to warm it up and sometimes it still idles rough. Occasionally it will die down and stay at out 1300 to 1500. So i'm guessing my carbs need to synched to my engine when we replaced the carbs. That and I should take out the old fuel, and get an oil change. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think you have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done. I would drain the fuel completely and fill with 87 octane without Ethanol and add Seafoam or Techron Concentrate (1 oz per gal).

Change the oil and filter. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is a good choice IMO.

Do you mean the choke needs to be on (closed) in order to stay running? If so, the carbs may need cleaning, and like you said - syncing. The idle mixture may need to be adjusted as well. That requires removal of the plugs covering the screws.

There's a lot of Ninja tech info for older models over at http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page. Make sure you search and read the FAQ before posting a question over there...

Jay

·
Registered
674 Posts
If the cycle will run at all, it's possible that gas+ fuel system cleaner (Seafoam/Techron Concentrate) might eventually clean things out, but if not, you need to pull the carbs, remove the jets, and do a complete disassembly/cleaning.

If it won't run without the choke it usually means the jets (pilot - if it won't idle, main - everything else) are at least partially plugged.

Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.