Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my IC Igniter (ignition/timing control ) replaced because it was not working properly. In high outside temps (80 degrees or above) the tachometer would be off any where between 200-500 rpms. That was at idle and throughout the range of gears and speeds. This would only happen after extended riding time in the heat. It ran fine when it was cooler.

It has been noted by Kawasaki that there was a design flaw in the 2008 Ninja 250 IC Igniter ( susceptible to heat ) and apparently they were changed (improvements) somewhere in the production line for the 2008's. Kawasaki says they have not had a problem in the 2009's, however 2009's did not ship until the winter when avg temps are much cooler. New owners and riders with stock gearing will get varying high rpm's anyway that may go unnoticed and my not have extended riding times in the heat. Trying to keep it (the IC Igniter) cool may not solve the problem.

My bike is a 2009 that had the same problem. The reason I noticed it was because when I changed my gearing (15/42) it made rpm and speed readings almost match, (for example; 1200- approx 1350 rpm @ idle, 5000 [email protected] approx 50 mph, 6000 [email protected] approx 60mph) which was normal in cool conditions.
When the IC Igniter malfunctioned the readings were off.

So now my IC Igniter is replaced. With the new one there was an immediate response in pick up and power throughout the range of gears that was not there before. It was almost like I had gained some horsepower somewhere. What ever the improvement to The IC Igniter is definitely apparent . Slightly better throttle response, stronger pulling, smoothed out rpm's and I'm hoping better gas mpg.

I don't know what exactly Kawasaki did, whether the timing is change 1/2 degree or so or just overall better programming and components. but it was worth replacing....for now. Now I just have to wait until the temps start staying in the 80's to see if it is truly fixed.

So if you have a 2008 or 2009 with this problem I recommend letting Kawasaki fix it under warranty. Keep an eye out on your speed and rpm's, that will be your gauge. The cost of the IC Igniter is $370.00 if you were to replace it yourself.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I think I need to do this .I went for a long ride and noticed the same thing .I have the 15/42 gear and on the way home the tack read 8000 at 75 mph . keep in mind that I do not have a stock tack or speedometer.So the igniter must be the problem.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealership will have to go on your word as the customer with a problem. If you have a good dealership they will make the call to Kawasaki to verify the info you give them. Understand the dealership doesn't make a nickel off of you for warranty repair. So for some their attitude maybe "why bother?" My service rep is real good and I am a good customer. I try to purchase as much stuff as I can and let them do all my work that I don't feel like doing. If you can, plan one day to cause the symptom and run it to the dealer as soon as it happens and be persistent in wanting the repair done. The 2008's have already been noted as having a problem. My guess is that it is not a big enough problem or issue to Kawasaki to issue a service bulletin on their best seller. Especially if nobody complains.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've read about this on another forum this week-end. I have this problem too on mine. It's a 2009.
I'm due for my 1000km inspection, I will let my dealer know.
Is the IC ingniter the same thing called CDI ?

Jon

·
Registered
184 Posts
i KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS GEARING THING YOU SPEAK OF...15/42 OR SOMETHING??? i ASSUME THIS IS SOME MOD YOU GUYS DID??? ANYWAY I HAVE A STOCK (GEAR WISE) 2009 AND WAS WONDERING HOW WOULD I KNOW IF I HAD THIS PROBLEM??? IS THERE AN EASY WAY FOR A JOE LIKE ME TO DIAGNOSE THIS POTENTIAL PROBLEM....THANKS IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
39 Posts
First don't scream at us in capital letters ! ;)
when we talk about 15/42 gearing, the numbers are the number of tooth on the front and rear sprocket.
Stock gearing is 14 front and 42 rear (I think), but some of us changed the front sprocket to lower the rpm at a certain speed. But this thing has nothing to do with the problem we have.
Just verify at what rpm your engine is running at let's say 60mph. It's supposed to be around 7250rpm in 6th gear when normal.
When the problem occures, the rpm reads 8500rpm, this means the rpm gauge doesn't give the right numbers. This usually occurs when the temperature is hot and the engine hot also. The igniter gets hot also and gives wrong reading to the rpm gauge. If your rpm is always around 7250rpm in 6th gear (you must have stock sprockets), you don't have a problem and can go to sleep and remove the caps lock on your keyboard. ;D

Jon

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
14/45 is stock gearing, that is a 14 tooth front sprocket / 45 tooth rear sprocket.

Just to be clear about The IC Igniter problem, the change in normal rpm speed in high temps is just one problem that is attributed to IC Igniter problems. Other problems that can possibly happen are: sputtering, weak or no spark, knocking, poor running or no power at high speed or low speed, overheating or incorrect firing. It is essential that attention to detail be paid to operating norms and deviations in overall performance, so that future problems can be indentified and isolated, then repaired.

This part is just my opinion: I think that there may be more 250 Ninjas that can benefit from a change in the IC Igniter and I think the problem is being downplayed by Kawasaki and they are hoping the problem goes unnoticed by first time riders. The bottom line is, if Kawasaki acknowledges there is a problem at this point it could possibly hurt sales and it will cost Kawasaki more money to replace all the faulty parts. Don't get me wrong, I like the Ninja and glad I got it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my dealer didn't changed the igniter, they replaced the rpm gauge. Problem fixed so far... ???
I didn't have to ride for a long time to have the problem, it seems to be solved. All this is strange isn't it ?
They only had one other owner (last year) with this problem and they changed his gauge also and apparently it solved his problem too.
I read the same thing on another forum...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.