Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I had an accident on August 13 around 10:30 P.M. I am just now up to typing this out.
I was leaving a wedding that we had just got finished photographing and it was an old country road that I was not fimiliar with. I was only going around 50-60 mph, I didn't think it was too fast, but I was not used to the road. I was crusing along and all of a sudden I was in a 90 degree curve before I knew it, there was no road sign or any indication that the curve was ahead. The road was in a downslope and the grass was grown uo so I could not see it either. I tried to slow down but it was too late, I went off the road, laid my bike down barely missing a telephone pole (thank God!). I blacked out for a second when my leg broke, other that that I remember everything. I rolled over and realized my leg and shoulder were both broke. I unzipped my boot and tried to pull my foot out but the pain was excruciating, I could feel by bones rubbing together. I laid there about 5-10 minutes when some people passing by noticed my headlight on by bike in the field. There was no cell service so one man lived nearby and went to call the ambulance. They arrived in about 20-30 minutes and done a great job. I would not let them cut my jacket off, I told the EMT just pull it off and I would deal with it. They also pulled my boot off, I thought my foot was going to deatch from my leg!!
I arrived at the hospital and spoke with a surgen the next day (Friday) he explained that my Tibia was broken in two places and my Fibula was broken in one place. He recommended that I have a rod put in my leg so it could heal properly. So I had surgery that afternoon, I was in there for three hours. My scapula in my shoulder was also fractured, I just need to keep my arm in a sling for that. I was in the hospital for 5 days and now I am just focused on getting better.
The guy at the Kawasaki shop said that he doesn't think my bike is totaled, but they have not done the estimate yet. The right faring is cracked and the front will need replaced. I completley broke off the brake pedal and foot peg assembly. My new HMF exhaust will need replaced also. He was guessing all around $1,500 in damage. I don't have any pictures yet, the guy I was phtotgraphing with took my camera with him.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Re: I went down.

Damn man, Glad you've started the rode to recovery and getting back onboard! Can and will happen to anybody and everybody eventually.

Keep positivie and determined man :)

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts

Red, that is really hard luck mate, Our thoughts are all with you to make a speedy recovery. Team Dragon is a little lonely with only one member flying!

Get better soon buddy.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts

Yea Dragon, that sucks. Glad you lived to tell the tale, and my thoughts are also with you. At least now you can proudly say you're in the second group of bikers... :p And you got one hell of a story to tell to impress somebody someday.... :p "Yea, when I was your age...." Little kiddie voice: "Wow grandpa, you were a badass!" "now sonny, don't use that language around me... <smirk> and don't tell grandma, but I still ride like that!" :p

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

spooph said:
Yea Dragon, that sucks. Glad you lived to tell the tale, and my thoughts are also with you. At least now you can proudly say you're in the second group of bikers... :p And you got one hell of a story to tell to impress somebody someday.... :p "Yea, when I was your age...." Little kiddie voice: "Wow grandpa, you were a badass!" "now sonny, don't use that language around me... <smirk> and don't tell grandma, but I still ride like that!" :p
That would be a good one to tell...Spooph you are hilarious!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the well wishes Blackboar and Met.

Felix said:
Wow glad to hear you are typing your way back to recovery!

Speaking of which, how is the recovery coming along? What gear were you wearing?

Felix
Thanks Felix, I'm using my shoulder more and putting a little pressure on my leg, hoping to be on crutches and back to work in a couple of weeks.
As far as my gear which I always wear, I have a Teknic leather jacket and gloves with armour, HJC helmet and Sidi B-2 boots. I was looking at the Veritgo's last night and noticed the extra protection for the leg. Not sure if those would have made a difference or not as I'm pretty sure that my leg was hit from the front or slightly to the side.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts

Typically when I see a thread Called "I went down" I get all giddy inside...

Dude that sounds horrible! I did that same thing with my dad but in a 4 wheeler, broke my finger, nothing as bad as you though jesus. I just hope you have a comfortable healing process and I'm glad you didnt get it worse than you could have. Just hang in there bro and keep us updated.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks Virt and Delta...yeah it could have been alot worse I wish I could have just came out with a broke finger HAHA..Yeah I just about freaked when he started to cut my leathers with the sissors!! They cost way too much to replace if you don't have to.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts

ahahaha do anything just dont cut my leathers!!!! They do it with such ease too. Like using the jaws of life to cut open a lamborghini because you cant open the scissor doors...the calamity!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts

Haha Virt! Don't wreck the Lambo any more!!

Hey Dragon brother, don't mean to be nosy, but doesn't you insurance cover damaged gear? And wouldn't that cover gear damaged by rescue guys?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

No problem Zandit, I was thinking about asking them about that, if they do I will try to get a new pair of boots and helmet. My jacket is just dirty, after going down I will replace my helmet, even though it looks fine, also just dirty. All the manufactuers recommed that you replace your helmet even if you drop it.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts

Yeah, if you've hit somewhere on the helmet, that section won't give you right protection next time. Better safe than sorry, or dead!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts

Haven't heard of that brand, I have a Shark helmet, supposedly 5 star impact absorbtion in european testing. Not sure if available in the US.

·
Registered
59 Posts

0___0 YOu still able to ride bike again after healing right? Anyway, I hope you heal your wounds soon. Yesterday, I heard one of my friend riding the R6 got hit at the intersection. His friend said that the on his side light turn green but the lady who turn left ran the red light and hit him on the side. He flew on her hood. Broke his leg and r6 is let say really in bad shape. But yea, be careful next time and feel better man.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.