Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went on a ride with a buddy who has an 07 R6 this last Saturday. We were cruising around and he was showing me some twisty roads to ride on. Well he and his buddy took off and I was chilling where I felt comfortable on the turns. I caught up to them and he let me ride his R6. I can't even explain the night and day differences between the 250 and the 600!

I had a blast riding it that's for sure! Being that I wasn't used to the power and such I barely used the throttle until I got to 6th gear then I used maybe half of the throttle. Even then wow that thing is nuts!!! I know now that I will never get a bike bigger than a 600. I loved the seating position, I felt like I was more in tune and part of the bike than with the 250 and I felt more confident on turns as well.

The thing I like about the 250 is how easy it is to toss around and such. The R6 was def harder to manuever, but not by a huge margin. I'm sure part of that has to do with not being used to his bike. Over all I loved the R6! The ride, the sound!!!(so much smoother than the 250) and when I rode my bike home I noticed the vibrations of the ninja big time! I was not a fan of that.

Anyway, I really liked the R6 over the 250, but i'm not sure if I still want a GSXR600. I don't like the other SS's due to the fact that they look like bugs from the front and the GSXR's don't. It will be a while before I get to upgrade to a bigger bike, but I know I really want to upgrade to a 600.

If anyone has any thoughts or insights please feel free to post them. I am glad I got the 250 first though...Just thought I'd add that on there...lol

· Registered
1,438 Posts
Don't know about your area, but around here, insurance on a 600 sportbike is INSANE. Lots of companies just don't and others have a 300% mark up on the "blacklisted" bikes. I paid about $600 a year for the 250r, my Versys runs me about $850. An R6, gixxer, or ZX6 would cost me about $2500 a year to insure.

· Registered
1,795 Posts
You NEED to ride a big twin sport bike. Like an RC 51 or a Ducati or Aprilia Milli. even a TL 1000 Suzuki. Don't buy one. But try to find a way to get on the top of a freight train engine. You will love it.

· Registered
674 Posts
The R6 is pretty much a state-of-the-art track-ready bike with a clear focus on high-end performance.

The Ninja is not.

Depending on the type of riding you do most of the time a R6/GSXR will either be great or a nightmare. If you are corner-carving, the seating position and clip-on bars will be perfect. If you plan to do any extended highway trips the same position will be a pain.

You'll have to think about what you want from a cycle, what you like and don't like about the Ninja, and then do some research to see what's out there that fits your needs.

Don't forget the Ninja 650 or SV650 if you want something that is less cutting-edge, has more low-end power, and is easier to insure.

Jay

· Registered
260 Posts
I got the same feeling riding my CBR for the first time. I'm more confident on the CBR because of how smooth it is. I'm not shifting as much, braking more confidently, and I have no issues with the riding position (first ride was 2.5 hrs lol).

pretty much ANY 600 (including the 650's) are going to have the same feeling of superiority over the 250. There is a lot more R&D that goes into the bikes, and a lot more money goes into the manufacturing of the bikes as well (which is odd since Kawasaki sells more 250's than any other bike).

as for insurance, must be just Black's area. I pay $90 a month for my car, CBR, AND renters insurance. I paid the ninja's premium in full, the year was $360.

· Registered
5,699 Posts
never say never Navy.... Before you know it, you'll be used to the 6 and going for the 10... I remember the firs time I rode a proper 6... Now I have no problem taking a 10 to red line.... You get used to any sort of power... and you always end up wanting more.... :p

· Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with all points made...I appreciate the comments and suggestions as well.

Right now all I really do is ride to work and home, but sometimes I'll go for a bit of a ride. I just found some roads that are pretty swervy(for me and this area) so now I can practice cornering on those and get more comfortable with leaning.

Spooph- I know what you mean. I was that way with my 2004 GTO. Which I really miss(was thinking about it a LOT last night) anyway... I'm not a person that goes all crazy and halls ass on a bike. I hardly ever get my 250 over 50mph and I don't cut in and out of cars. I don't even cut through traffic at a stop light or anything. So I really feel that I would be good to go with no more than a 600. I mean I know there is a chance that I would get comfortable with the 600 especially after riding for a few years and such, but with the riding that I do I still don't think I would get anything bigger than a 600.

I think my insurance on the 250 was maybe 400 for the year, don't really remember. lol
I don't think the ins on a 600 would be anything like what BlackBoar pays...

My thing about the 650 and sv's is the riding position. I'm not a fan of sitting up with them.

· Registered
674 Posts
I agree with all points made...I appreciate the comments and suggestions as well.

Right now all I really do is ride to work and home, but sometimes I'll go for a bit of a ride. I just found some roads that are pretty swervy(for me and this area) so now I can practice cornering on those and get more comfortable with leaning.

Spooph- I know what you mean. I was that way with my 2004 GTO. Which I really miss(was thinking about it a LOT last night) anyway... I'm not a person that goes all crazy and halls ass on a bike. I hardly ever get my 250 over 50mph and I don't cut in and out of cars. I don't even cut through traffic at a stop light or anything. So I really feel that I would be good to go with no more than a 600. I mean I know there is a chance that I would get comfortable with the 600 especially after riding for a few years and such, but with the riding that I do I still don't think I would get anything bigger than a 600.

I think my insurance on the 250 was maybe 400 for the year, don't really remember. lol
I don't think the ins on a 600 would be anything like what BlackBoar pays...

My thing about the 650 and sv's is the riding position. I'm not a fan of sitting up with them.
I guess I'm not sure why you want more than your Ninja then. I wouldn't be in a hurry to "move up" to a 600 if you don't have more than a year or two on your Ninja (I don't recall how much experience you have). If you haven't ridden a street bike for more than two years a 600SS (Super Sport) will almost certainly get you in trouble sooner or later.

As a SV650 owner, and active member of SVRider.com, I see lots of people starting on the SV. The majority of the time they will drop it within a week. People think the SV is a good starter bike - it's not IMO. Power and weight work against you unless you have mastered the basics and feel comfortable on 2 wheels in most situations. The little Ninja is a great starter bike, but plenty of people know it's a lot more than that if you give it a chance.

The current SV650 "S" has low clip-on bars like a 600SS. The Ninja 650 and SV "N" (no longer available new, replaced by the "Gladius") have a similar position to your Ninja. Just like the Ninja, the SV doesn't have the capabilities of a current 600SS because it doesn't cost as much and wasn't designed as a race bike. Even so, tons of SVs are modded and made into race bikes. Just like the Ninja 650, the SV does make a very good street bike even with its performance limitations.

I'll add that you should consider doing a few mods to the Ninja if you are interested in better handling. Top-notch tires will help a lot. Proper springs, tuned for your size and riding style, proper fork oil, better rear shock, fork brace, etc, will completely change the feel in the corners. See what suspension mods the road racers are doing to their Ninjas. Add a pipe or slip-on if you want a better sound, and maybe a touch more power - but don't expect a huge increase.

Jay

· Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am hoping to get a new bike in a couple years so I will have plenty of time in on the ninja...

I have already added a full exhaust, k&n air filter, and have had it rejetted...I will be adding one more performance part to it eventually. I also feel that the ninja is too small for me. Not talking about its power, but its actual size. When I see pictures of me on it I look like a giant on it. There have also been a couple times that the lack in power of the ninja has made me a bit nervous with people around/behind me.

I'm not in a "hurry" pursay... If my wife would have let me get a more expensive bike I would not have bought the little ninja. I would have bought a 600 or 750. Part of the reason why I don't go for a lot of rides is that the ninja is a little umcomfortable for me.

Since I started riding it's been a few years, but it has been a few years in between due to military training and such until I bought my bike this year. I have wrecked, but it was do to the surrounding traffic. Yes I should've done something different, but now I've learned from the incident and will not make the same mistake again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.