·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mod, as in Mods vs. Rockers. I view myself as a Rocker:
Mod: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28subculture%29
Rocker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocker_%28subculture%29

Background:
He rides a 140cc moped, but he calls it a motorcycle. He rebuilt and repainted the thing to immaculate (sorry, no pic, and according to him, I'll never have that opportunity). He is an engineer, very skilled, and very smart, but with an extremely brusable ego.

I never quite understood the whole mods vs. rockers thing. I thought it was all kind of silly. So what if a scooter is a step-though. I think it takes more cajones to ride a scooter than a bike, because you are completely vulnerable and defenseless....

My experience:
Anyways, I was talking to him, enjoying myself, but apparently he didn't share that sentiment. As a motorcyclist I've grown accustomed to giving fellow riders a hard time about the size of their bike, their riding style, their face. It doesn't matter, you joke heartily with one another, poking fun at the idiosyncrasies, taking turns being the butt of a joke, and being in the limelight. It's a wonderfully entertaining way for everybody to feel included and a part of the family. So as habit would have it, I started joking with him about his 140, hoping, waiting, anticipating he would joke back, poke fun at my 250 sounding like a sowing machine, or the fact that it's flashy and gawdy, and his 140 is much cooler because it's a classic. I would have then agreed with him, laughed, and so we would have had a great time...

Anyways, I got totally butt hurt, and although staying very cordial, ended the conversation with an abrupt end that bordered on rude. At least he was straight-forward and honest, I can respect that.

I guess, in the end, what I took away from the experience, his type (maybe a mod?), gets hurt easily because they ride underpowered motos. Motorcyclists don't, because they are familiar with a giddy free feeling, both euphoric and superhero-esque, and approach life with the idea of fun to be seized around every corner.

Let me clarify, I view a motorcyclist as one who spends the most amount of time possible on a motorcycle. If I were slightly more stringent in my opinion, I'd say it's somebody who spends more than 50% of their miles traveled on the road on a moto, and not in a 4-multi wheeled vehicle. But that would define the folks in Canada as equals to those in Florida, and the ones in Canada would just be more bad ass for braving the cold.... :p So, I changed my definition to what I stated in the first sentence. I do not view "week-end warriors" as motorcyclists, I view them as hazards, or cagers with the ability to operate a motorcycle. I do not view collectors as motorcyclists, unless they ride their bikes, or have a bike to ride. To be a motorcylist, one has to ride enough to full appreciate the risks, and therefor enjoy the rewards that much more!

Let me also say, I've always felt a little uncomfortable around those who adore their scooters. I've ridden scooters, and they're fun, and I know people who ride bikes now, having started on a scooter. But those who love their scooters as we love our ninjas just kind of creep me out. Up until now, I've never quite understood why, but I have a feeling of what it is now. So, are mods really that sensitive, and are motorcyclists really that much easier going?

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Yep...its official, i'm a cager :(

Good read spooph, I think people nowadays are overly sensitive to begin with, as a guy me and my friends call each other all kinds of names and hell its even here on the site! Mods are weird to me, sort of reminds me of a smug mac user lol.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Well my bro-inlaw is/was a mod... he even has a 'Lambretta' tattoo on his arm.

He had a a few different scooters and one bored out to 225cc that would do a 110mph (indicated) on the M1 in England.

It was more than the rides, it was the music, social, attitude, fashion etc.

I'd be a rocker through and through, and I'm sorry, scooters may be fun, but they are SCOOTERS not motorbikes.

Watch the movie Quadrophenia for a better idea.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Spooph, I really enjoyed your write up. Thank you for taking into consideration the Canadian environment. ;D

I found your encounter very interesting as I both started out on a scooter, and now consider myself a motorcyclist, even by your definition. As much as I did get a kick out of my scooter, I could never pour my heart and soul into one the way I do my bike. They are two different animals and, I guess, so too are their riders.

It will be a never ending debate: Sooters vs MCs. Sport bikes vs cruisers. 250cc vs 600cc vs 1000cc etc, Harley's vs every other MC in the world. Never ending. Which is why your approach - and the one many of us take - to embrace the difference and hack on each other a little bit about the whole thing, is clearly the way to go. If someone dosen't get that, then I honestly believe they also do not understand why they are rolling on 2 wheels, whatever those two wheels may be. 8)

·
Registered
726 Posts
I still wear creepers... Still have the black leather bomber's jacket, but it hangs in the closet now... so I guess that makes me a (former) Rocker.

But I've always catagorized myself as a Cafe Racer, dating back to when I rode a coffin-tanked Z-1.

I missed the whole Mod thing, entirely.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HAHA!!! Thanks everybody for agreeing with my opinion! :D

Virt, it's OK. One day it will change, and until it does, you're still a part of our family.
Felix, it's on the list, and that'd be why you're a good comrade-in-arms.... :D
Kurt, thanks for the education and camaraderie... Oh, and we need a pic.... What happened to the Z-1? Got a pic?
Z, WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - you're brilliant!
Boar, good point. I think I'll write something about "confused bikers"....
D - you could always make you're own definition... :D But I'm sure you'll blast into that category this summer, with a quickness!

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.