Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know tank guards are suppose to protect your tank...but I don't see why. What is it suppose to protect it from? keys? No...they aren't high enough on the tank. Belt buckle? Maybe...only if you wear one. Zipper? Not sure...aren't they usually covered with a piece of cloth?

I may be way out there, but I just don't get it.

G

·
"I have no idea what's going on", Towelie.

I don't have them on either of my bikes, but I do have one just in case I want to put one on. They do protect your tank from being scuffed up.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Daisy, it has to do more so with just the wear and tear the bike undergoes, and keeping that tank all kinds of pretty... Maybe it's more of a fashion statement? Some decoration? That reminds me, I need to get a black one for my bike...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spooph said:
Maybe it's more of a fashion statement? Some decoration?
That's all I can think it would be used for. I mean, I see some guys that get one with a naked girl on it so every time they look down at their own crotch they can see it, but...I'm not too sure what people would think if I had one like that.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Older leather jackets have buckles and rivits. so yes the protector does protect. Also even cortech and other textiles scuff after a while.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I have one on the ninja, but the scratches I see on my tank are just around the edges of the protector, so go figure!!!

oOdaisyOo said:
That's all I can think it would be used for. I mean, I see some guys that get one with a naked girl on it so every time they look down at their own crotch they can see it, but...I'm not too sure what people would think if I had one like that.
I wouldn't be thinking anything bad!!!!! But if you have to look down at your crotch to see a naked lady every few minute, then your not paying attention to the road!!! Besides, looking down that far with a helmet on is a little hard work!!!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I like the clear ones so it protects the tank from scratches but its not like "Hey look at me" type of statement!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My leathers scuff the tanks pretty bad. I have a tank pad on one bike but it was a gift from a friend and if I removed it I'd probably find the only spot on the tank that is still smooth and shiny ... in the shape of the tank pad. The sides of the tanks on both bikes are pretty dull and the center-rear of the tank without a pad is gettin pretty dull.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah, I think your zippers and buckles on your jacket will eventually scratch up the tank. But keep in mind, out of all the sport bikes out there, the 250 ninja is a much more up-right sitting position. Most other sport bike riders often have their belly on the tank leaning over it.

I only do that when I play superman flying down the highway. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts