Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first, why are none of the shops open today? I'm willing to lay out some cash, reduce their inventory, and help make their holidays brighter, but no one is open! Sheesh...and if you can't tell already, I have a low tolerance for delayed gratification.

I'm a new rider, or plan to be a new rider, but am looking for some advice, which is why I joined. After doing a lot of research online, I've narrowed my choice to the 2011 250R SE version in white/ebony. I'd been looking at the Yamaha FZ6R, but at 600cc, I'm thinking it might be too much to start with. My only concern is this, at 5'9", 240lbs, I'm wondering if the 250R can haul my big behind. I plan to ride it to work over regular streets, head out into the country for the twisty rides, and also up the Natchez Trace Parkway. I have no plans to do a lot of highway riding until I get used to it and really not sure if I'd take it above 65/70, but would like the ability to if needed.

So, that's my dilemma...if the 250R can do all that, then I'm all for it. Price is a consideration as well, but I'm willing to spend a bit more to do what I want with the bike. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Hey dude!

Welcome to NN. Hehe, the 250 will be worth the weight. At 240lbs, you won't notice the zippyness that us lighter riders notice, but the 250 will still carry you at freeway speeds... However, I have a feeling your going to want a bigger bike sooner than most....

1.) Have you taken a motorcycle safety course, or, do you already have your moto license?

2.) make sure to test ride the bike. Also test ride a Ninja EX-500, or a Suzuki GSX 500 (I think - the baby GIXXER), and see if one of hose aren't better suited to you...

3.) If you still decide to go with the 250, there are quite a few things you can do to make it a bit more peppy...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey dude!

Welcome to NN. Hehe, the 250 will be worth the weight. At 240lbs, you won't notice the zippyness that us lighter riders notice, but the 250 will still carry you at freeway speeds... However, I have a feeling your going to want a bigger bike sooner than most....

1.) Have you taken a motorcycle safety course, or, do you already have your moto license?

2.) make sure to test ride the bike. Also test ride a Ninja EX-500, or a Suzuki GSX 500 (I think - the baby GIXXER), and see if one of hose aren't better suited to you...

3.) If you still decide to go with the 250, there are quite a few things you can do to make it a bit more peppy...
Not taken a class yet, but plan to before doing any type of long rides. Checking into what MS offers.

And my cousin, who is a long time rider, basically said the same thing as you, I can ride a 250R, but it's not going to be what I want. He also mentioned checking out the Gixxer. Then he threw me a curve and offered to sell me his 2000 Yamaha R-1. The thing about his bike is I know how well he's kept it, he's probably got most of the aftermarket stuff I'd add (or think of adding), and I know he wouldn't sell me something that'd be too much for me. Only concerns are seating position and seat height. Heading out tomorrow to a local shop to see how a 2012 fits.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Dog!
Spooph has mentioned the bulk of it already, but I personally don't think the R1 is suitable for a new rider. It is too easy to flip, and has way too much power for a new rider.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

BTW, I know how much it sucks when the shops are closed, but thats what happens when there is Xmas and New Year so close together!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome! The gixxer scared the living begeezus out of me one day. That thing has so much get up and go, its insane! Super fun tho... almost too much for the street, and I wouldn't recommend it for a new rider. That R-1 sounds like a great deal if you wanna go the route of a more powerful bike. You can change seat position (to a point) and height for sure. If you do go with a bigger bike, please think about changing that "low tolerance for delayed gratification" mind set lol. Take your time, learn lots, don't get cocky and be safe! :) Can't ride when you're dead!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome 3legged! (alice in chains album reference?)

How flexible is the budget you mentioned? I can see a 250 not going to far you. Have you looked at the Ninja 400s or 650s? The 400 especially might be a nice starting place for you. It will give you an extra kick of power and should be the right size for you to start on. And it's not much more expensive.

My Uncle bought a CBR250 in the summer to learn he is a little bigger than your weight and height and he can only get it up to 90km/h (approx 55Mph) If you want to develop riding skills it will take much longer on those R1s & R6's

·
Registered
531 Posts
Everything said is pretty much said but I would like to add maybe consider a used Ninja 650r. You can get one w/ several thousand miles for about the same price as a new 250r but it will have a good bit more zip for you.

It's the same thought the others have when mentioning the 500, but the resale market is a lot bigger for the 650r meaning better used prices, more replacement parts and mods.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I agree with everybody else, including I think the R1 is a bad purchase right off the bat. Especially if its as nice as you say it is.... New riders typically scuff up a bike pretty early on - usually slow-speed parking lot stuff, and it'll just eat at you that you banged up such a nice bike.... You want something older and beat-up-able for your first bike. Ride it to the max, then start upgrading...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Not taken a class yet, but plan to before doing any type of long rides. Checking into what MS offers.

And my cousin, who is a long time rider, basically said the same thing as you, I can ride a 250R, but it's not going to be what I want. He also mentioned checking out the Gixxer. Then he threw me a curve and offered to sell me his 2000 Yamaha R-1. The thing about his bike is I know how well he's kept it, he's probably got most of the aftermarket stuff I'd add (or think of adding), and I know he wouldn't sell me something that'd be too much for me. Only concerns are seating position and seat height. Heading out tomorrow to a local shop to see how a 2012 fits.
Absolutely, positively, DO NOT buy a R1 as your first bike. I'd smack your cousin if I could...

A 250 will work for you, but it's not optimum. A CBR250R has more low-end torque than the Ninja, and there are a ton of older/bigger new riders buying them. The advantage the CBR has over the Ninja would be most noticeable in-town. On the hwy the Ninja is generally thought of as superior, but there are a lot of CBR250R riders that would disagree. I personally like the Ninja's twin better than the CBRs single, but for in-town riding the CBR's single has some advantages.

Check out - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums and specifically - How old are you? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums. A couple of the members there are 200+ pounds.

If you want to go up a notch, mostly because of your size, I would consider a SV650n or a Ninja 650. Older mid-sized bikes like a GS500E (no fairing) are an even better choice as a first bike. I generally recommend a 250 (Ninja or CBR), GS500E, or EX500 (Ninja 500) as being a good first bike. Search around at www.svrider.com for opinions also.

Take a MSF course before you do any riding at all.

I never, ever, recommend anything like a full-on sport bike (GSXR, R6, R1, etc) to a new rider.

Jay

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Welcome to NN 3leggeddog! I had my 250 for nearly 2 seasons and rode over 14,000 kms. It is a very capable bike for any rider and will fit well with the riding you are talking about. It is an excellent bike for any new rider, and soooo much better that any .6L sport bike, too much risk for new riders.

The 400 Ninja is a nice choice too if you are OK to spend a little more, but I don't think its sold in the US.

No matter what you choose, get training, take the time to learn the skills and re-inforce good habits, wear your gear, and you'll have blast all the time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.