Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after bringing my bike out from hibernation, when I'm cruising around a strange humming noise is coming from my front end. Not sure what this is, that's why I'm posting this. Maybe you guys can help me out. I usually just keep the rpms high so I don't hear it haha. Should I have the dealer look at it? It's under warranty for another 2 years.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and just to add, I'm not talking about the high pitched squeal at slow speeds. This is actual humming sound. maybe bearings? Idk, you guys decide! haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah i hear the same thing. it might be the the clutch lever. it kina sounds like the the plastic on my key chain is vibrating, but thats not it. a lot of other people with 250's have this same problem. i don't think its anything serious, but i would like to know what it is forsrue

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it was a bearing noise it would change pitch or "hum/vibration" with different speeds. I have yet to hear this noise, but alas my bike only has 75 miles on it. I tend to have good hearing also.

When do you hear it? At low speeds, higher speeds, same RPM range? Does it go away when you turn? Sometimes you can take pressure off a bearing that way but............

So many rotating parts in there. Try to notice while your driving when its happening and let us know

JT

·
Registered
71 Posts
my seems to happen around 8-9k rpm. i here it the most in the lower gears 1-3. its not very loud either its like a faint hum. definitely not like a rattle or anything. like i said earlier its like some plastic part that is vibrating really fast, which could be a lot of things since our engines love the high rpm/vibration and we have a lot of plastic parts. it does go away when i turn, but i think its more due to me slowing the bike down and dropping rpms. now that i have my two bros exhaust on i probably won't even be able to hear it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My guess is the air box cover or battery cover fairings . The plastic pin(s) may have popped out of the rubber grommet. They seem to come out easily. Air may be passing around this and causing shuttering , humming, rattling or whistleing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It sounds like it's coming from below the gauge area, I've always heard this on my bike. I found a thread on kawiforums and it seems some of our bikes do it worse than others. mine is real bad like 8-9K. But it is nothing mechanical.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Are you sure its not the pressure in your ear drum?

·
Registered
68 Posts
123 miles on the bike, it was about 57 degrees out today ;)

But I heard the noise, it was coming from the front, sounded like the front tire just on the kind of road I was on. Just thought I'd pass this along

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't checked my pressure in awhile, could someone tell me the correct psi for front and back? I can't find my owner's manual at the moment. Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I couldn't find it on the sidewall, hard to see. But thanks man, my pressure was on the low side. I'm gonna take a ride tomorro (too cold 2day) and mayb the humming will be reduced or gone. The front had 20psi in. and the rear 25.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
ouch they are a bit low arnt theyy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea and the valve caps were on so tight. I thought the dealership used lock tight or something. I noticed that a clip on my fairing was pushed out leaving a gap of about 1/8" that may have been causing the humming noise. We'll see tomorrow when I take it for a ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts