Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be common knowledge but ive never owned a bike before so if anyone can tell me the do's and dont's of washing a bike it would be appriciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you "click here for larger image" its actually smaller :D. and taking it to a manual car wash and cleaning it with the sprayer works just fine. sorta cool seeing steam rise off the engine from getting wet. bring a towel to wipe off your seat unless you enjoy a wet tushy

·
Registered
21 Posts
so it's not like you wash your car at all...

For car:
I spray soapy foam on car to soak the dirt loose
then I use water under high pressure (kärcher)
followed by a hot and soapy spunge rub
sprayed clean with a garden hose
dried with micro-fiber towels...

I doubt you can use high pressure on a ninja :p

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
TekkaBlade said:
so it's not like you wash your car at all...

For car:
I spray soapy foam on car to soak the dirt loose
then I use water under high pressure (kärcher)
followed by a hot and soapy spunge rub
sprayed clean with a garden hose
dried with micro-fiber towels...

I doubt you can use high pressure on a ninja :p
Yea thats pretty much a good deal, and i wouldnt use high pressure on it. you could damage the radiator. just a garden hose is sufficient.

·
Registered
633 Posts
eh iv seen a few peoples bikes when they wash them the engine gets white stuff around it some bolts start to run like the ones insude your frame sliders and stuff, i personally dont like my bike getting wet ill take off the farings and wash them with a hose if they get lots of gunk stuff but i usually buy this stuff from honda becaue its the closest shop besides kawi but they dont have this product, its a spray and polish for like 3 bucks take off all the bugs and dirt and gives it a great shine look too protects paint i used it on averything and it cleans your rim like no other! then i used wd40 for my sprocket and a tooth brush and good as new!

·
Registered
633 Posts
i knew somebody would say that! hahah nah its good man my buddy uses it for his bikes dirt bikes and quads because of all the dirt gets near it uses wd 40 to clean it off and a fresh new look then puts chain lube same thing i do, hes been doing it for years works just fine and its cheaper!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
R6S_2NR said:
i knew somebody would say that! hahah nah its good man my buddy uses it for his bikes dirt bikes and quads because of all the dirt gets near it uses wd 40 to clean it off and a fresh new look then puts chain lube same thing i do, hes been doing it for years works just fine and its cheaper!
So your wiping it off i assume?

·
Registered
633 Posts
yeah i whipe it off i dont think wd40 is the best for cahin lube hahah maybe a push bike yes and skateboard barings you need real lube for your chain on bike that chain is whats gonna get you moving! treat her right! shes dirty but you know you like it ; ) good stuff sound wave and welcome man!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
The only issue when washing any vehicle is making sure not to get water in the cylinder. With motorcycles this is much easier than a car (open exhaust and possibly airbox). On the ninja, with it's factory airbox and snorkel, you only have to worry about not getting water in the exhaust....

I would love to take like an hour, wash the bike with the garden hose, dry an wax it all, but I rarely have time for this. So I usually roll a "chain lube", and wash into one. I take her home, clean of the chain with de-greaser, ride to the self-wash, take 2 minutes to power wash, ride back (the long way) to heat up the chain, spray on the chain lube (if the chain is the right temp, my lithium grease bubbles into the crevasses), and polish up the muffler. Total time: 30 min

·
Registered
874 Posts
Windex works fine. Or same as a car.

·
Registered
633 Posts
i would have to disagree windex fors just fine iv used it plenty of times when i run out of my polish spray wont look the same as the polish but does a great job!

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you just need to dust it off or its a little dirty, i use a Micro Fiber Cloth, they work really good. i use them all the time on my black ninja.

·
Registered
633 Posts
yeah that micro fiber does work great esp if you have a black bike i refuse to use anything but that i buy mine at walmart their green hahah

1 - 20 of 28 Posts