Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you will need.
-size 10 wrench
-impact wrench or powerful air wrench (power drill not enough)
-WD-40 or teaspoon of oil (i used motor oil)
- The large allan wrench that cam with your 250R took kit
-The tool kits Philips end screw driver.

Step 1: use the impact wrench of high power air wrench to loosen and remove the bar end. there is a lot of lock tight on the bolt. Be very careful to not round off the bolt

Step 2:
Use a small screw driver, dip it in oil and softly wedge it in between the grip and the bar. Work it all around and the grip will slide off.

Step 3: Loosen the lights switch and clutch brace. you dont have to take the screws all the wow out and it will be hard to get the light switch back to a perfect fit if you do take the screws out. BE SURE you unhook the connector.

Step 4:
Use that allan wrench to take out the two bolts that clip the bar on. Slide the clutch and light box off the bar gently.

Step 5: Put the new bar in place and reverse the steps. You wont need oil to put the grip back on, but do clean the grip's inside. I didnt use the impact wrench to put the bar end bolt on, I used a power drill at max setting. The factory torque was just too much

·
Banned
10 Posts
First, take some measurements to see what kind of bar will actually fit on your bike. The normal measurements are width, height, pullback and droop. Width and height are obvious, though some bar makers measure height from center-line to center-line, while others depict the total height from the bottom of the center section to the top of the outer section.

A straightedge laid across the bar will help you measure height (1); figure the center/center height as this measurement minus the one-bar diameter (7/8 inch for conventional bars, 1.0 inch for most cruiser handlebars). The pullback is simply how far back the bar ends are relative to the center section. Normally, when modders get in trouble it's usually because they've chosen a bar that's too flat or has too much pullback, so that the grips or switch pods smack the tank at full lock.

Best regards
Anthony martello

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have a bent bar but can't get that sucker off! The allen socket stripped the allen hole in the bolt head which is softer.
Maybe I need to drill it off or put a screw remover in the head?

Sherwiner

·
Registered
55 Posts
removing handlebar

Trying to remove the large "bolt" that holds the very front of the handlebar to the mount. It's a star or whatever you call that fitting but it was stripped by the former owner and I have just made it worse I fear. Want to replace the left handlebar since the bike was dropped and the bar is bent in and hits the gas tank. I don't think it would be a good idea to bend it back out. Would replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
To remove the handle bar here are some things you can try:

Being that the bolt is already messed up, you don't have to worry about messing it up more, you're going to end up destroying it anyway, so just go for it....

1.) Get the next size up hex wrench. I think originally they're 6mm, so go to 7mm. If that is too big, go to the standard/SEA/American size in between those two, and with a large hammer, pound it in. Use slowly, steadily increasing pressure with a large level (pipe on the end of a breaker bar or ratchet) to break it loose, paying close attention and making sure you're not stripping it further. This works in 2 ways - A.) Gets you a solid fit between the fastener and the tool, and B.) loosens the cold-weld between the steel bolt and the aluminium triple trees.

2.) If this doesn't work, round out the bolt as much as you can with a 6mm hex bit, or the bigger bit you used in step 1, then get a drill bit the same size as the outside diameter as the bolt and drill the head off.... Don't try and drill the bolt out completely. Once the handlebars have been removed, you can get a pair of vice grips on the bolt nub that is left and turn it out. Hopefully the previous owner just over tightened the bolt, and didn't cross thread it....

Once the bolt is out, and is was cross-threaded, make sure to get a tap appropriate for the thread/hole - most hardware stores should be able to help you with this, and properly re-thread the triple tree, making sure the threads and clean and pretty. Hopefully it's not so bad as to destroy the thread completely. If it is, no fear, you can either use Helicoils to repair the thread, OR drill and tap a bigger hole - which will require a bigger bolt to be used, but it is a fix....

Bending the stock handlebars back doesn't bother me much, they're steel, and with a bit of heat and motivating they work just dandy:
http://youtu.be/hU2mkC2NK9M

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you! Got the bolt out with the larger hammer method to get the bit in place and with a large breaker bar for leverage it slowly turned and I got it out. The threads are fine but it was loaded with thread lock which I will clean off the bolt and reuse. I can now buy a new handlebar! Yeah!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
You might want to go through this: Kawasaki Ninja Forum - FAQ: Board FAQ

Go to the forum/sub-forum you have a topic for, and click "New Thread" at the top left hand corner of the screen. If you're in a thread, you will not have this option. At the very top of the page there is a tab named "Forum". Click on that, and go to the sub forums under that, depending on your topic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.