Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i started using the dupont teflon dry wax spray lube for my 250. how can you tell when its time to apply more if it always dries? anyone have experience with it?

it seems to be working fine and i like not having the smell of 90w gear lube

·
Registered
277 Posts
Coat your chain once a week/500 miles. Clean it just as often. If you know it's going to rain and your bike is outside, go take it for a ride then throw a coat on the chain so it for sure doesn't rust.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
or... once it's rusted, throw on some chain lube, go ride it about 15 miles, put on some more, ride another 15 miles, go home, clean and re-lube. :p

But yes, I think Travisty nailed this one. I personally like to lube my chain every 200 miles, and clean it once a week, or maybe, if I'm busy once every two weeks, but never, ever longer than that... I do about 150 miles a week commuting, so with weekend rides, it's between 300 and 500 miles a week....

How's that stuff working by the way?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not to hi-jack, but what do you use to lube your chain Spooph?

I use Chain Wax with amazing results. I'm so happy with it, I'm hesitant to even try anything else.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I use a blue Racing lube... I'll take pics of it when I take pics of the loser to post... And I'm happy with what I get....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Travisty said:
Not to hi-jack, but what do you use to lube your chain Spooph?

I use Chain Wax with amazing results. I'm so happy with it, I'm hesitant to even try anything else.
Just realized how dirty that really sounded...

spooph said:
I use a blue Racing lube... I'll take pics of it when I take pics of the loser to post... And I'm happy with what I get....
And yours made me think of an innuendo...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Travisty, don't just think innuendo, also post it, so the rest of us can laugh too.... eh?

Sailor, I hear ya man! My chain was "one of those" before I replaced it..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this stuff works really well. i just ordered 2 more bottles. it's great not having oil smell and it lasts at least twice as long i went 800 miles and chain was still coated. i was hard to tell but when you add more it makes the old stuff more visible and there was plenty. this time i will go 1000

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I realize this is a really dead thread, but I think there's some good info to be had concerning this product, so this review may be a little long.

I had been hearing and reading reviews about DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant. I have been using Maxima Chain Wax for a long time. I even use it on the bicycles and car. So you can kinda of say I'm a Maxima junkie.

webBike World did a review on DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant. DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld
Even Motorcycle Consumer News ran a short article on DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant and they also raved about it. So I decided the next time I cleaned the chain I would use a different lube. DuPont is known for making good products so when they get good reviews it must be good. The first thing about the DuPont lube is that it's a multi use spray, not a motorcycle specific lube, however this same stuff also comes in a can with the label for motorcycles. Later for that one. The label says that it is a patented blend of "wax based lubricant",goes on wet to penetrate and then to dries leaving a lubricating film. DuPont also claims that it will not attract dirt and grime or fling. Maxima Chain Wax also makes the same claim as not to attract dirt and grime or fling. Both claim to be resistant to water.

Before I applied it, I shook the can well (there's a rattle ball inside). It did not have a strong smell like the Maxima Chain Wax, came out the can quick and it was runny, however it dried quickly. It did leave a waxy feel on the chain, unlike the slightly tacky feel from the Maxima Chain Wax. While the Maxima Chain Wax leaves a slight yellowish brown coat on the chain, the DuPont is almost invisible.

After a few minutes, I notice white dots, residue and overspray everywhere, despite the fact that I used a barrier for that very purpose. Not something I was looking for. So I did a little comparison test to see the difference in adhesion between the two. One short spray of the DuPont saturated the piece of paper I sprayed it on and immediately began to run. The Maxima even after a few sprays barely moved. I should also mention that as long as I been using Maxima Chain Wax, I've had little overspray flaking or fling.

So here is how they stack up;

DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant- $5.97 for a 11 oz. can
Maxima Chain Wax- $4.95 for a 5.5 oz. can

DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant- Semi clear, runny and wet to dry application and waxy feel
Maxima Chain Wax- slight yellow, wet to slightly tacky application.
Both are easy to clean

So, after using DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant for over a year and more than a few thousand miles, I was going to do an update review, then I read this-

"Please note that as of October 2011, DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax formula was modified. Many of our loyal customers have been purchasing DuPont Multi-Use for nearly a decade. We recently upgraded the formula to be a semi-dry lubricant with added corrosion protection but no longer features the "dirt-resistant, dry-wax" feature.

You will notice the most recent cans or bottles appearing on shelf do not contain the "Dry, Wax" claim on the label.

Many users have reached out wondering where their dry, wax formulation went. If you want to obtain that same dry-wax formulation, you should switch to DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver. This product contains the same Teflon fluoropolymer, molyebdenum and wax mixture that users have come to appreciate for its wear protection, water repellency and dirt resistance.

We were able to leave Chain-Saver as is. The formulations are very similar -- Chain Saver has more moly and more Teflon so it has better wear protection. Everything else is exactly the same."
- DuPont Motorcycle Chain Lubes for 2012 - webBikeWorld

This lube was great and after using it for over a year on the house, the car, the bikes, and motorcycle, I'm a little upset. The chain on my bike still looks somewhat new and everything else works so smooth. The best thing about it was it was cheap. I hate it when companies have a great product then change it or discontinue it, to make you buy a more expensive product. I believe that's what they did, when they found out motorcyclist were buying more of the cheaper lube than the motorcycle specific lube.

So, I picked up 2 cans of DuPont Teflon Chain Saver at a Walmart, in the little motorcycle section. They had about a dozen cans, but there was a small difference between the two. One can said, "Dry, Self-Cleaning Lubricant", the other said "Wax-Based Chain Lube".

The "Wax-Based Chain Lube" can says, O-Ring Safe, No Fling Off!
The "Dry, Self-Cleaning Lubricant" can says, Doesn't Attract Dirt, No Fling Off!
According to Dupont's website, the "Dry, Self-Cleaning Lubricant" is the latest product.

I compared the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver Wax-Based Chain Lube to the DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant. The two products spray and adhere to the chain the same. The consistency was very close and both dried to a waxy feel. Both clean well too. Both smell, look and taste the same, have the exact same ingredients listed on the can. The only major difference I can see as of now is cost. The DuPont Teflon Chain Saver Wax-Based Chain Lube cost .99 cents more than the Multi-Use for an 11 oz. can.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts