Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this system mentioned previously, but didn't see any guides on how to do it. After spending about 2 weeks on the internet and 8+ hours working on the bike, here are the results.

Summary of working components:
[OK] Unit brain, siren
[OK] Flashing indicators
[OK] Battery
[OK] Ignition
[OK] Infra-red sensor
[OK] LED blinker
[Partly] Remote start (issue to be sorted)

Disclaimer: I hold no responsibility for any damage that may occur as a result of carrying out this diy. If you're in doubt what you're doing please seek professional advice.

I din't take any pictures of the alarm system before installing (no patience obviously), but here is an idea what it looks like (picture borrowed from elsewhere):

First of all, you will need to take off the following components:
SIDE PANELS
BOTH SEATS
REAR FAIRINGS
BATTERY COVER
BATTERY
BATTERY HOLDER

(Don't loose any of the screws and remember where each goes!)

The siren (behind the fuse box) and the brain unit (above the siren in the picture) are already installed in this picture.

Here is an other view with the battery removed. You may see there is a lot of wiring. The brain unit is navy blue and can be seen on the left hand-side of the siren.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cables

The fixing of the cable may appear rather self explanatory by the connections. The cable lots are as follows:

Antenna - BLACK (thicker cable)
Grounding - BLACK (end with a ring)
Siren - WHITE AND RED
Infrared - RED AND BLUE
LED blinker - RED AND BLACK

Main wiring (single colour wires)
2 x YELLOW
BROWN
PINK
GREY
BLUE
BLACK
RED

For now these all look pretty complicated, but once they end up in the right places it all becomes a lot easier.

I placed the antenna in the tail. Wiring was easy to follow alongside some existing wires.

Connect the RED wire to the positive (+) battery.
Connect the BLACK wire to the negative (-) battery.
Or attached the grounding cable to the frame, either should do the job.

Find two YELLOW cables, and connect them to indicator wirings, as in these pictures:

Right side: Plug one YELLOW cable together with GREY.
Left side: Plug one YELLOW cable together with GREEN.

I fed the LED cable alongside the fairings, and secured it in a small gap between the fairings next to the windscreen. I didn't fancy drilling holes in any panel, etc...

Now you can use basic alarm functions. You can arm/disarm the alarm, and indicators/LED will blink accordingly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next, the ignition needs to be wired up.

Get the fuse box and REMOVE "IG" FUSE out.

Into the place where the fuse was, on the back where the wiring goes into the fuse box, locate a thick brown cable, and connect PINK and BROWN wires from the alarm. Connect the GREY wire into the corresponding location.

This step is optional, but if you consider having a remote start, here is what should be done:

The BLUE wire needs to connect with the YELLOW/RED wire inside the start relay, right next to the main fuse:

I've tried, and it turns the engine, but doesn't start it.

As many of you may know, there is an anti-jacking security device fitted to our bikes, so it can't be 'hot wired'. Because of this the remote start won't work.

I will contact the company who sold me the alarm, as they know a way to bypass this security feature. If it works for me I shall update you all.

I hope it was any useful :)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
wow, looks pretty involved.... interested about the anti-jacking security device you mentioned.... for remote start to work, you obviously have to leave the kill-switch in the "on" position, now?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I always leave the kill switch in the on position. I think one time I accidently switched it off while working on the grips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. This is the workaround for the remote start.

The Theory
Within the ignition wiring (where the key goes, d'oh!) you need to locate two cables, BROWN and GREY.
A resistor needs to go between them.

There are two possibilities of the resistors needed, 100 Ohm or 400 Ohm. Wattage is not very relevant, I was told 1.5W should do the trick.

Once a resistor is in place, the remote start should work.

Just keep in mind this will make your bike... what's the word for it? Jailbroken :D
Its original security device will be bypassed, but the presence of the alarm should compensate the loss.

I should try this and let you know if it's worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have one of these marketed as the "Beret 5000m", identical in all respects but lacking the microwave detector thingie. I'm not interested in the remote start function (where would one use that, anyway?) but I am interested in the remote kill. Would the resistor bypass be required to enable this do ya think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks really useful. I'm planning to install my SPY 5000m this weekend, but I'm not going to bother with remote start / engine kill. Seems like too much hassle! I can't actually see any of the pictures in this post... does anyone know why?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
This looks really useful. I'm planning to install my SPY 5000m this weekend, but I'm not going to bother with remote start / engine kill. Seems like too much hassle! I can't actually see any of the pictures in this post... does anyone know why?
I'd say that the reason the photos are no longer active is due to the OP not hosting the photos anymore on a site like Photobucket etc. If he has deleted them for some reason on that site, the direct link will no longer work, hence no photo.
Perhaps when you are installing your new unit you could take photos and post them up for future reference.
Good luck with the installation!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed the spy 5000m on the 300 after my 250r got stolen, I found on another forum how to hook the remote start to LED lights in the fairings and such, works great, but I put the siren in the cubby hole near the back inside of front left turn signal it echos the perfect acoustics to be really loud, microwave sensor on the tool tray under the passenger seat, brain in between driver and passenger seat in the body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please help. I installed the SPY 5000m (aka BANVIE 5000m) on my 2019 Ninja 400 ABS and everything works except the remote start. It cranks but it would not start. As others suggested, I removed the Brown and Violet blades from the key switch / barrel connector, soldered a 100 ohm resistor connecting the Brown and Violet, reconnected the Brown blade to the connector (but not the Violet one) so that the Violet cable is only connected to the Brown via the resistor.

* the V cable is only connected to BR via the resistor.

Even after doing this, the bike will start with the key but only cranks with the remote. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. It is driving me insane that everything works except the remote start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts