Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some input on rain and rust. I was reading over in the owners manuel about having to lube and oil certain parts after being left out in the rain. I was wondering if you all can give me a "condensed" version of your maintence routines. where on the bike and how often I should oil or lube these areas of concern. Thanks as usual for the help guys !!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Any extended time exposed to the elements is not good for any bike. I recommend getting a good cover if it's going to be outside for long periods of time. I give my bike a good inspection, wash, wax once a week. Bugs get removed more often. Lube gets done when necessary. I keep it out of the rain, dust and direct sunlight as much as possible when it is outside by keeping it covered. I got caught in the rain on a long ride once. When I got home and the rain had dried, it was not a pretty sight.

My philosophy....
"If if ain't bright, it ain't tight and probably not running right!!"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yeah freak it all depends on you enviroment. I keep my baby in the garage. Always lube, nice and shiny waiting for me to give it a ride...wow. That sounded bad.. Lmao.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I wasnt to specific in my question and Im sorry. I was trying to find out which parts of the bike need greese or lube after being exposed to water. Then how often those parts have to be treated, like is there parts you have to greese or lube after each exposure to water. Things like the chain, the kickstand, handle bars clutch cables etc....thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
A little bit of water is not going to rust the bike quickly. The only time you will need to worry about rust is if you have any chipped paint on a steel part ( i.e. frame, tank, chain, triple tree clamps, fairing braces, rear sprocket, front and rear disc) if you have real bad pitting or scaring on a aluminum part they could corrode. It is recommended you lube the chain ( use a good lube that is waterproof and will not fling off) after a ride in heavy rain or long periods of exposure to rain. Pivot points such as gear levers, clutch, brakes, should not need as much lube after a simple rain shower if you keep it properly inspected and cleaned and lube. Cables should be done to OEM specs ( see owners manual) unless you start feel them becoming tight or in the case of the speedo, you might hear it squeal. Your attaching bolts and hardware are either zinc or nickel coated. They will not rust right away unless that coating is somehow scratched. ( such as using the wrong size or improper tool) The Ninja overall is a very well made bike. Unlike cheap Chinese scooters that rust as soon as you wash it. If you keep it dry and out of the elements you wont have to worry about it being a rust bucket in a couple of months. Exposure is you biggest enemy ( and of course the asphalt if you happen to drop it)

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeaahh guys this topic is very useful for me as i dont have garage and i'm keeping my babby outside and even now its kind of drizzling //// could anyone reccomend a good fitting cover for our bikes? not short and not too long?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts