Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first winter with a bike so I have been searching on the internet for what I should do to store it. What do you guys do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
Mines in the garage! lol I need to go out there and start it and let it warm up!

Some people drain all the fluids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What way do you guys recommend? I was thinking I was going to get some fuel stabilizer, take the battery out and (because some website told me to for reasons unknown) change my oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
1) change the oil
2) if you have a garage its best to put it on a bit of carpet for the tires.
3) a cover of some type (i just use an old sheet)
4) make sure you give it a good wash and dry before storage
5) try and get a battery trickle changer to keep it topped up.

i think thats about it :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
Don't forget to occasionally go out to the shed and talk to it and sit and just enjoy each others company for a while!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
zandit said:
Don't forget to occasionally go out to the shed and talk to it and sit and just enjoy each others company for a while!
Im doing that tomorrow actually going to start the bike. Mom said the bike was making noise on the front end dont know if thats a good or bad thing. Plus I need to take a hair dryer to my tank protector pad try to work out all of the bubbles. (My bubbles)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
Delta107 said:
Im doing that tomorrow actually going to start the bike. Mom said the bike was making noise on the front end dont know if thats a good or bad thing. Plus I need to take a hair dryer to my tank protector pad try to work out all of the bubbles. (My bubbles)
Those noises may have been the cat in the fuelcap!! don't forget that makes whistling and meowing sounds occasionally!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,437 Posts
metbandit1 said:
1) change the oil
2) if you have a garage its best to put it on a bit of carpet for the tires.
3) a cover of some type (i just use an old sheet)
4) make sure you give it a good wash and dry before storage
5) try and get a battery trickle changer to keep it topped up.

i think thats about it :p

ALSO, fill your gas tank as full as you can and add a fuel stabilizer, run it for 10 minutes aftr to ensure its all mixed through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
nice one black bore forgot that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can I ask what the reason is for putting the tires on carpet? I'm definitely going to do it as my garage floor is painted and the paint come of the floor and sticks to my tires after a while. I have a large spot on my back tire that is kind of difficult to remove.
I was expecting to have to drain my carburetor but the fuel stabilizer will do the trick then?
Also I read on a website that you should flatten your tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
zandit said:
Those noises may have been the cat in the fuelcap!! don't forget that makes whistling and meowing sounds occasionally!
Yeah that what it was. It was funny cause my mom kept telling my bike was making noise. I would go out there and no noise figured she was paranoid. I finnaly herd it its just the ninja tea kettle acting up. lol

Cossitt said:
Can I ask what the reason is for putting the tires on carpet? I'm definitely going to do it as my garage floor is painted and the paint come of the floor and sticks to my tires after a while. I have a large spot on my back tire that is kind of difficult to remove.
I was expecting to have to drain my carburetor but the fuel stabilizer will do the trick then?
Also I read on a website that you should flatten your tires?
Carpet will prevent bald spots! or you can put the bike up on stands or you can just rotate the tires every few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
Delta107 said:
Carpet will prevent bald spots! or you can put the bike up on stands or you can just rotate the tires every few days.
yeh this is pretty much right, also stops them from deflaiting as much, and just keeps them in general good nick! i have my bike on carpet all year round.

no dont flatten your tyres because if they are flat the bike stands up more up-right and can fall over by itself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
fuel sta-bil is good in the carbs, but once you get it all mixed through you should turn the fuel petcock to 'off' then run the bike til it stalls. if gas sits for a long time it makes a varnish kind of coating and gums up lots of surfaces. less gas + moisture the better. this is a nice winterization article: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_should_I_go_about_preparing_my_bike_for_winter_storage%3F

it just depends how thorough you want to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that sharrokor. That site is very detailed.

I'm a little bit confused now though. I have been reading a lot of things and don't know if I should Keep my tank and carbs full to the top to keep moisture out, or if I should drain them both so that the gas doesn't degrade. But I thought that was what I bought sta-bil for yesterday?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,695 Posts
Cossitt, the intended purpose of sta-bil is to do exactly what you're saying, keep your gas from degrading over winter. Sea-foam is a more expensive, but better quality alternative, and there are also many other products for this purpose as well. Price tags tell you how good they are. :)

It will be fine if you use sta-bil. If you were a real OCD nancy, draining the fuel tank and carbs, making sure there is no fuel in the system, it's the most surfire way to make sure the fuel doesn't gum things up (cause there is non), and making your carbs "go green" - difficult to get decontanimated. However, if you're in a humid area, you might run the risk of flash rusting your gas tank... If moisture gets into the system, which over the period of say 6 months, is possible, althought not probable.

The "best way" for your to winterize your bike is to pick a method which you know you can accomplish perfectly without screwing something up, and which isn't going to frustrate you. If this is your first winter winterizing, go with the stabil and don't sweat it. Maybe fire it up once a month just to check and see how things are going?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
I put my bike on stands and take it completely apart over the winter ;D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top