Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 09 ninja 250 and would like to know some Ways to increase throttle response. I know that doing a jet kit would help but is there anything that can help make it real touchy like the real high powered bikes?
And yes I know one theory would be get a more powered bike, BUT I can't, so I gotta do what I can with what I got!:)

Thanks for the tips!

· Registered
2,270 Posts
lstew48 said:
I've got an 09 ninja 250 and would like to know some Ways to increase throttle response. I know that doing a jet kit would help but is there anything that can help make it real touchy like the real high powered bikes?
And yes I know one theory would be get a more powered bike, BUT I can't, so I gotta do what I can with what I got!:)

Thanks for the tips!
Try a quick action throttle !

· Registered
9,088 Posts
What I did is.......:whistling::whistling:
Took out my throttle bearings.....:thumb::thumb:
Filed down the left side.....:whistling::whistling:
Reversed them n put them back in......:dance::dance:
Make sure u use a lithium sand grease.....:thumb::thumb:
This should make ur throttle backup response time much faster..:whistling::whistling:
Specially when in high range backing up...:thumb::thumb:
There ya go......How to fix it by.......:flowers::flowers:
Earl....Da....Pearl.....

NNnnnn.... them dirrections can be found here....... CLIK HERE

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
earlthepearl said:
What I did is.......:whistling::whistling:
Took out my throttle bearings.....:thumb::thumb:
Filed down the left side.....:whistling::whistling:
Reversed them n put them back in......:dance::dance:
Make sure u use a lithium sand grease.....:thumb::thumb:
This should make ur throttle backup response time much faster..:whistling::whistling:
Specially when in high range backing up...:thumb::thumb:
There ya go......How to fix it by.......:flowers::flowers:
Earl....Da....Pearl.....

NNnnnn.... them dirrections can be found here....... CLIK HERE
Um the click here is a virus?
So thanks

· Registered
9,088 Posts
I increase my throttle by spreding my cheeks apart.......LOL.....
:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

· Registered
1,480 Posts

Thanks for the tips!
The Ninja 250 is never going to be a bike that has any significant amount of low end torque. You won't get it to be twitchy like a big bike. Even with a quick twist throttle or racing carbs it will still require a bit of easy rolling on of the throttle to the right rpm speed and then you can open the throttle a bit more. The stock CV carbs have a natural lag built in to them so getting it to respond like a bigger displacement engine will take more work than it's worth.

The first questions you may want to ask yourself is...
"How much are you willing to spend chasing torque and HP on an engine as small as a 250?"
'Is the bike used for commuting or racing?"
"Are you willing to trade good gas mileage for crappy gas mileage and unnecessary extra maintenance and work?"

If you are a a budget minded owner and looking for a little extra pep, keep the bike rideable and easy to maintain with out breaking the bank, there are a few things you can do.

First, is arm your self with some knowledge. Without it you'll have a headache for months.

How Constant Velocity Carburetors Work
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...bs_work_v3.swf

Motorcycle Carburetor Theory 101
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf

Pipe Jetting (A Must Read)
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...s-jetting.html

Carburetor Jet Tech
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...et_tech_v3.swf

Secondly, remember the Ninja 250 has been around for more than 30 years and a whole lot has been done to it and is still being done. You're not going to reinvent it. Enhance and redesign...maybe, but a whole lot of proven work and improvements and testing and hard work have already been done for you. When you get good advice or tips go with it.

Thirdly, these few improvements are easy to do, don't cost a lot and will make the bike respond and ride a little better.

1. Shim the needles with (2) two 3mm washers and remove the snorkel. Shims and a little bit more fuel to the 1/4-3/4 throttle range, a little more fuel results in better throttle response-(simple, don't complicate it)(If you have a slip on exhaust removal of the kleen air system is optional if you don't mind the popping.)

2. Replace the stock air filter with;
WIX- P/N: 49721
UNI Air Filter- P/N: NU-2303 or
Pipercross Performance Air Filter- P/N: MXP166 (highly recommended)

4. Leave the airbox in. There is no real need to replace it with pod filters unless you like unnecessary work & spending more time tuning than riding. The exact same or similar results you get with pods you can get with the stock airbox and full exhaust system

3. Install Iridium Spark Plugs-either NGK Iridium CR8EIX or The Denso Iridium IU24

4. Run 87 octane gas, it make more power. Use ethanol free if you can get it.

5. Run full synthetic oil

6. Change your sprocket set up to 15/43, it offers the best balance of acceleration and top speed.

7. If you got a couple hundred dollars, you can change your engine timing. the BRT i-DTIS offers the second most significant gains to HP and torque as far as add ons go. The first is the full exhaust.

8. Learn to ride better, twist the throttle a little more on take off (closer to 3k, don't worry about rpm speeds under 2.5 k except for idle speed) and enjoy the ride

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.