Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding in the heat is something that most motorcycle riders will face at some point during the season.
Of course not all hot weather motorcycle riding is created equal. Anybody riding in the southwest or slower lower of the U.S. will tend to believe that there are about 4 levels of HOT. (hot, damn hot, hot as sh**, and Hot As Hell!!) The former can be representative of northern weather (a mild inconvenience at best). The latter can be potentially serious or deadly.
Hot weather motorcycle riding can be downright brutal, if done for extended periods of time, but armed with the proper knowledge and equipment it can be managed.
When riding in hot weather the main thing to prevent is also the most obvious: DEHYDRATION which can lead to heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Motorcyclists should not think too lightly of this condition. However there are some things you can do whether you wear leather, textile or mesh. For some this information may be useful, others may already know it.

1. Drink lots of “water.” Camelback type bladders are ideal (duh!...I know…)
2. Insulate your skin from the heat (exposed skin on a hot day is not only subject to sunburn, but bare skin soaks up MORE heat from the sun)
3. Cool yourself by dowsing your cotton shirt with water and zipping up your jacket on top of it.
4. Wear a thin layer to absorb moisture (sweat) so that it stays close to the skin (this is the most effective cooling if your body is too hot)
5. Open the vents on your helmet for a small amount of air flow ( temps inside your helmet can reach over 100 degrees. remember the helmet is insulated, so if it is 100 outside, it may be 90 inside)
6. Don’t ride in the hottest part of the day
7. Take regular breaks and get into some shade

And lastly, learn to ignore the ones who think you’re nuts to be fully geared up on a hot day.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Good post Ghost.

Another good one, is a bandanna or rag of some sort dipped in water and tied around your neck.

Pick your lanes and judge the flow of traffic to keep you moving rather than stop-start.

Take the longer way to your destination if it means you can maintain a higher speed.

Sweat rubs off, road rash doesn't.

Motorcycling is a full contact sport.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8 Posts
And lastly, learn to ignore the ones who think you’re nuts to be fully geared up on a hot day.
I am fairly new to riding and this actually happened to me a couple of weeks after I got my first bike. I received a phone call that my new Icon Motorhead jacket came in (see below). I drove my bike to my local shop to pick it up. As I arrived I saw a group of bikers in the parking lot probably in there 20's. I went into the shop and tried the jacket on which fit perfectly. When I came out and started up my bike I proceeded to put the jacket on. I could hear them saying "He is f-in stupid he is going to be so hot in this weather, what I dumbass." I live in New England and that day the humidity was really high and it was about 85 - 95 degrees out. Yeah it was hot but as I pulled away I was thinking to myself I rather have the correct gear on if I have to hit the pavement. It kind of pissed me off that someone would say that about a person using the correct gear when riding.

Also to be honest when was driving to the shop I was hotter with just a t-shirt on because of the sun hitting my skin than I was driving home with the jacket on as long as I was going 20 mph or more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We don't get much stinking hot weather here in the Portland, OR area but we get at least two months straight of 75-83 degree weather with. Week in the high 80's and 90's.

I ride in full gear head to toe and for those total scorcher days I bust out my cycling shorts and jerseys made of moisture wicking fabric. Beats the jeans and cotton golf shirts under my textile pants and jacket!

ATGATT

·
Registered
129 Posts
I mix it up between my icon field armor vest and my Shot 8 pound leather jacket. Most days in the summer I wear the vest. Colder day I wear both or if I am going out to work on wheelies and stoppies.

I try to balance it all out. Hot days I don't want to be in a black heavy leather jacket. Dehydration and fatigue can set in fast. Blacking out from the heat is not on my todo list.
As a side not I have suffered from hot weather injuries in the past, and like frost bite and nip once you get it once you are prone to get it again easier.

I wear boots gloves and helmet every time no matter what. The vest does leave limbs open to injury but at least it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A quality jacket with great protection is recommended in all riding weather is recommended. But even in these colder months we can still get overheated.
I ride in an all weather jacket from Joe Rocket that has a quite a few zippers with mesh that let's me breath to keep me comfortable when I overheat without compromising the integrity of safety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts