Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was. Minding my own business, watching the 'Kawasaki ninja 250' search on craigslist like a hawk for the best deal possible when... Le wild ad appears. Simply says, 2011 Kawasaki ninja for sale. 1800..... Hmmm.... Now I'm just a natural skeptic about these kinds of things.... Call me paranoid, but when something seems too good to be true.... It almost always is. Regardless, I clicked the link. Ad opens up, picture pops up...

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

... With the only text that says 'very nice'.
Now this too is sending up red flags.... Regardless I take the time to nibble at the metaphorical hook this person has thrown in. I reply by email with simply: "I'm interested."
Thinking nothing of it (this was probably another craigslist scam [I'm overseas, just send me your money and I'll ship it to you] and such.) got a reply email today. Apparently, this is being sold by a woman who just went through a divorce. She says she won't use it so she's selling it cheap. Less than 2k miles, aftermarket exhaust and windshield, plus more she doesn't know. I'm thinking.... This is just too coincidental.... A divorce??? This is too perfect. So I'm still very skeptical. Told 'her' to send some more pictures. Waiting for a response. Now I'm not looking to get my hopes up, but HYPOTHETICALLY, IF this turns out to be legit... Should I? I'm gonna find out as much as possible, but I feel like my luck has never been this good before, why start now... Someone either agree with me or put my paranoia to rest please hahaha. Also, it looks like a 600... It's not the 250 I was looking for. At first, I was completely adamant about getting the 250. It's my first bike, I wanna learn right, not hurt myself, etc. But... If there was an opportunity to start on a bigger bike, should I take it? It's cheaper than the 250s I'm looking at and I won't have to upgrade later. I know that it's a bit more dangerous, which is why I was so set on the 250. But I know that if I did ever start on a 600 I could be very careful and never overestimate myself or underestimate the bike. I think I could handle it, personally. I prefer a 250, but I can't pass up an opportunity like that. I know to respect the ride, no matter what. But I'd like input. For this scenario overall, and also on not starting with the 250. Ready... Go!

·
Registered
22 Posts
To me that looks like the 400 which is a good bike, don't have them in England so no idea what they are like :/ I got a 250 and love it, always getting complimented for it but I know those people don't know what a real bike is xD

You may aswell go to the person to check out the..... Goods :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. She 'lives in Topeka KS' with the bike ready to ship at any time. All she asks is a name and address to send it to..... Still kinda skeptical, but it does seem like a legit thing.... Hmm... I mean, what could a scanner do with my name and address anyways? Like, I could understand if they were asking for credit card, pre-payment, social security or something like that. But name and address?? I'm confused...

Product Azure Communication Device Font Line

Product Azure Font Communication Device Line

Hmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
If that is in the States, then it is a 650R. The 400 was never introduced into the US, only Canada.
Definitely a 2011 as it has the black frame, and the pipe is a Yoshi, same as mine. Nice pipe in my opinion!
Also looks to be just a painted OEM windscreen, not aftermarket.
For some reason the rear footpeg is missing, not sure what is going on there.
Make sure you post up the other photos if you get them, I can help you with most questions.

If you have not ridden a bike before, this could be too much for a starter bike, as ther is big difference in power and weight. Some people say it is a great learner bike, and most people could probably handle it, but personally I am very glad I started on the 250R.

Any questions, let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Hmmmm, very strange way of doing things. Have you seen the other pics?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Sorry, but I have moved this thread to the appropriate section too.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Pics are very small, but ok, I see Sportsbars, fender eliminator, LED strips, painted windscreen, possibly an integrated tail light with the indicators included(I can't see any idicators mounted on the back of the bike), and the Yoshi pipe. The right rear footpeg is definately missing, very strange.
There is a fair bit of cash thrown at that bike, and for a bike that retails for about 8k in the States that is a very cheap bike. Most guys are asking about 4-5k for bikes in that condition
Not sure about the eBay method of selling especially since it is shown on Craigs List, I have never come across that method before.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Word of warning, if they start asking for you to pay the shipping since there is an error with her account, and they want to do it through wetern union....Walk away very quickly, thats a scam!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
That is a common thing that I have found when trying to sell things online. You get the buyer saying they work on an oilrig blah blah blah, then transport costs have to be paid up front using WU. I personally have never used them, however I am under the understanding that payments cannot be traced if there is an issue.
It is a popular choice for scammers

·
Registered
420 Posts
So you haven't seen the bike in person? If its out of state ask them if you can pic it up in person, or have a friend look at it that lives near by. If it's a scamm they normally stop talking to you, or say no no it's already packed fir shipping

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Already packed for shipping is a big red flag. So is the price, way too low. Anyone trying to sell their bike at fire sale prices is looking for a quick sale. The quickest sales are to someone local who can see it, like it, and ride it away. The Topeka metro area has about 1/4 million population. You gotta know at that price it will sell local and sell very fast. This is, at best, a stolen bike. Or worse, it's not real and those pics are all down loaded from some where else.

Ask for a list of the mods. Zandit pointed them all out to you, so you know what's there. The real owner of a real bike could list them all for you easily.

Be very careful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you think it's worth it then take the time to go check it out even if its packed if she's trying to sell it she will be willing to show you if it's a quick sale. From experience I bought a 2009 250r with only 200 miles on it it seemed to good to be true so I made a 3 hour drive to check it out and the whole thing was completely legit the girl had it and parked it after learning to drive it so you may never know if she's actually trying to sell it she will be willing to let you see it before hand

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.