Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HMF SLIP ON REVIEW
http://hmfracing.com/shop/pipes/kawasaki/ninja-250-08

PRICE: $260-$360 (depending on how you build it). Mine was $320 OTD with shipping, tax, black color, and euro endcap from the HMF website.
WEIGHT: Total shipping weight was 8 lbs (with box, packing and parts)
LENGTH: 14” (17” with euro endcap)
DECIBLES: tops out at 103

OVERVIEW:
I havn’t seen any reviews, photos, or videos for the HMF slip on for the Ninja 250r so I figured I’d throw myself under the bus on this one. I was driving myself crazy trying to decide if I should be a guinea pig for this pipe. I figured I didn’t want anyone else to go through the same thing before ordering. I take so much info from this forum that I think it’s time for me to give something back. So if you’re looking for an affordable, nice looking, good sounding pipe, look no further... Just remember I’m not a professional exhaustier and this is my first slip on.

A fully customizable slip on for the Ninja 250r. You can get just about any color you want (including carbon colors) and choose between 3 different styles of endcaps which you can also have in any color (except euro endcap). I have a black bike and wanted a black slip on but didn’t want to pay $500 for a carbon Yoshi. This was a GREAT deal and I was thinking it was almost too good to be true. HMF is a reputable company that has been around for years specializing in ATV exhaust. I hadn’t heard much about them with sportbikes, but everything I did hear was great words. -Lots of Hyabusa stuff. Only $260 for a nice looking, fully customizable slip on sounded a little fishy to me but I ordered anyway... and I’m really happy I did.

SHIPPING:
5 business days to get to my door in Illinois. This was amazing since they say that they build each pipe to order and could take over a week to ship out pending how busy they are. It came in an unmarked box surrounded by packing paper and inside a plastic bag. The finish is great and everything was looking perfect and clean until I noticed big permanant marker marks on the pipe where the endcap bolts are. It’s like they gave sharpies to coffee drinking 8yr olds and had them measure it out. But that didn’t upset me too much since the overall quality and look of the pipe was amazing. Sharpie marks were not enough to upset me at this point and I ended up rubbing them out with a little elbow grease (that’s what she said). Included was a bag with mounting parts, installation instructions, a small heat shield and 2 decals.

INSTALLATION:
...was a bitch. But the 4 step instructions seemed easy enough. The instructions said “a little twisting and pushing might be necessary.” Your’e damn right it’s necessary. After a handfull of busted blisters and an hour of twisting, pushing and WD40, I was able to get the pipe half way on the head pipe. I even had to have some help holding the header and bike so I didn’t break anything. Other than that, installation was a snap.

PERFORMANCE:
I really didn’t expect much from performace but there is a very noticeable difference in pick up while shifting gears. Even my girlfriend on the back of the bike pointed it out to me. The “oh sh*t” factor definitely increased a few points. Weight is much lighter than stock. 8lbs shipping weight with box, packing and parts.

LOOKS:
Lookin good! Matches my black bike perfectly. You can get just about any color you want including carbon colors. So if you’re looking to match your green, blue, black or red bike, this is perfect. 3 styles of endcaps to choose from (mine is euro).

SOUND:
I got way more than I expected out of this. The noise is very deep and grunty. Not whiney and doesn’t sound like a weed eater. I’ve only had it to about 55mph so far but even then it still has a low, deep noise. The sound is VERY LOUD. -louder than the barking dogs of hell. I was very surpised at this and have had lots of head turns and even an old woman shaking her fist at me from her driveway. I was only doing 35mph in a 30, so the sound makes it seem like I’m being a punk. If you are looking for something that isn’t too loud, this pipe is not for you. -These sound clips don't do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ruAizJNq-Us&hl=en&fs=1

http://www.youtube.com/v/sBjutuV3XEw&hl=en&fs=1
...no helmet. woops.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Xw095rBo2yg&hl=en&fs=1

MY PERSONAL RATINGS:
If you're looking for a great sounding, great looking, cheap slip on and still can't decide, I'd definitely put some thought into getting an HMF. I'm really happy with it.

SHIPPING: 10/10
INSTALLATION: 6/10
PERFORMANCE: 10/10
LOOKS: 9/10
SOUND: 10/10

·
Registered
133 Posts
Finally some one does an HMF exhaust! That sounds really good man. I was waiting for someone to put an HMF on their bike. I always loved thier exhausts for my quads bc of the sound quality and an abundance of colors to choose from. Great work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hellvetica, nice right up. 8)

Appreciate the vid's too, took care of all the request I'm sure

Does it slip right in on the bottom? That pipe looks a little big were it meets the factory piece ???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
-Big, It might look big because of the heat shield that wraps around the header. But it just fits like about any other slip on would I guess

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you re-jet your carbs?
If not, how does it run with the slip-on installed? and does the paperwork that came with the exhaust suggest you re-jet the carbs?

I want a slip-on to change that awful lawnmower sound, but dont know anything about re-jetting carbs and dont want to pay someone to do it if its not needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't and am not sure if I will. The piece of paper that came with it recommends rejet for all of their products but slip ons don't normally need it. But it's backfiring a lot- I'm not really sure what that means so if anyone can send me a line on that one it would be a big help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Best aftermarket exhaust sound I have heard so far. Another I might think could sound the same is a Hindle 'cause they usually have a deep sound like yours but haven't heard one yet.

Jon

·
Registered
874 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
hellvetica, if you're hearing a "backfire" it would be that you're running too rich... If you've shimmed the needles, try taking the shims out and seeing what it does... I'm finding some interesting results with my 250 experiments, and I'm thinking it's going to be more of a benefit to put in bigger idle jets as opposed to main jets...

Anyway, once the shims are removed, see if it still does it... If it does, and you want to get rid of it, it's time for some smaller jets. I'll sell you my smaller jets out of my dynojet kit cheap, and you could get the needles here:

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2193.pdf (DN0308, DE0001), and make sure to get two of each. Or your local dealer should be able to get them for you, and the jets that you need... I'm finding the 100's are just about right with my airbox mod, which means with the headers and exhaust it's going to need even more... But mine is FAR from "backfiring". You could also just drill out the air/fuel mixture screw cap on the bottom of the carbs, and fiddle with that first and see if you can get some good results...

or you could try with the stock needles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great info spooph, thanks. I havn't shimmed the needles but I think I need to take care of it soon since there's lots of popping going on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha. Ya Helvetia is a word for something being of Swiss decent. Helvetica is also a nice typeface originated from Switzerland. I have Swiss roots and am a graphic designer so thought it fit. Just added another L.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would say that you are probably running too lean with the addition of your slip on. adding a free-flowing exhaust helps the engine "breathe" better. running too lean makes the combustion chamber hot which can lead to predetenation (knock, backfire). have you ever taken the fuel enrichener off too soon and revved up the engine and gotten it to backfire....same thing. I've read that replacing the jets isn't necessary, but is recommended. an alternative to that would be to shim the needles like in the write-up that red did. hope that helps some.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
That sounds great! Has that low sound but at the same time can get high pitched. Loved the acceleration video, not only did it show off sound but showed how fast a 250r can take off. You may have sold me one.

·
Registered
874 Posts
one of the best sounding exhausts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. I just didn't want people to have all of the questions I did before I bought it.
...and my blisters and swollen hand are just starting to heal up from the installation. ;D

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
hey I notice your video on youtube.. i had to "barrow" it to check out the sound on it. great vid and mostly sound!!!! by the way..I post it on a different forum.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts