Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. so it was right after I warmed her up for about twelve minutes *it is very cold here* I was leaving my driveway and it occured that my helmet was not strapped.. so I pulled over on the other side of the road and while in gear put the stand down before I put her in neutral, which killed the engine.. it just started tbhis long 'hiss' sound, kind of like what a small fire sounds like (for about 7-8 seconds straight I would say).. but no smoke, no metal against metal, no odd smells or leaks.. I don't know if this is normal. I am a first year rider. I just got my bike completly checked over and a full tune up professionally. So I strapped up my helmet, put her back in neutral and turned her on, she was fine.. idle was normal, started right up, everything was ok. Decided to whip her around the block a few times then come back to the driveway to shut her down and see if the hiss happened again.. it didn't. I am confused. I tried to google it a bit and couldn't find the problem anywhere.. I even then turned her on and then puposely put the kickstand down while in gear, no sound.. she gos right to sleep without so much as a purr. Ah, talk about being a new rider and being over sensitive with your baby.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
along those lines, the previous owner might have modified the gas cap to try and avoid the tea kettle, hence why you're getting a hiss, and not a whine... But I agree with Ghost, I think that's what it is...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
One other thing.....Hot fluid flowing to and from the radiator will make a hissing sound. 12 minutes is quite a long time for a bike to idle under no load. If you are going to let it idle that long keep the idle low and give gas every so often. Get the bike warm enough where your idle is some what stable at around 1400 rpm and then start riding. You may have to fine tune your throttle and clutching skills, but such is the nature of the lil Ninja Beast. About a mile down the road she will warm right up.
Carbs!!! Who needs them? :p

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate all of your comments and thoughts- but here is the deal, it is not the 'whine'!

I get the whine now and then, in the same manner all these other people on the threads were talking about. I learned it was normal after I had heard it and came searching for the reason on here (that is how I joined, haha)

This is a bit different.. but I am hoping it is what Blue Ghost said is accurate. It must be the radiator, a really good suggestion Blue Ghost. Does anyone else have any opinions on this? I would like to test some of the theories if possible. I like to rule out worst-case scenarios because they drive me nuts and I don't want anything wrong with my baby!

Ahhhhh..

You hiss like a snake.. you whine like a puppy.. but I still love you <3

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Listen, does this make sense- my idle was obviously too high, which I have lowered it to in between 1.4 and 1.5k RPM while choke lever is all the way up.. the sound 'hissing' happened a few more times while it was ideling, and when it started to i turned the bike on and it continued for 8-10 seconds like it did the first time. I think it is the radiator fan going into like overdrive. What is this telling me? Is this normal at all? Does something need to be done about it immediately?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
1. If your fan is coming on when you turn your bike on, do not panic, it is normal. The radiator fan is connected directly to the battery. This usually does not happen, especially if the bike is not hot or overheating (205-212 degrees faren).
2. If your fan is on you will feel the air between the gauge cluster and handlebars. Look hard enough you can see the fan move.
3. If the bike is not reaching normal operating temps, it is possible that the system is overcooling because of faulty switches. (fan switch or temp sensor)
4. Check w / your local dealer to see if this is the case.

Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.