Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 250r. When i start it warm it up, usually the bike stays on 1500 rpm (idle) but once i ride it for like 10 min, the rpm go up to 2000 and then climb to 3000 (idle) when im just sitting there in traffic. Its my first bike so im not sure if that is normal or what should i do. I havent played with the idle adjuster and i dont think anyone else did so...any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What spooph said - check the choke.

Give it a minute or two to warm up, but don't just let it idle until warm. Some throttle "blipping" is ok to make sure it's running cleanly on choke, but don't go over 2500 or so when it's cold. Pull the choke back in stages, leaving it on just enough to keep it running at slightly above regular idle but no more. You want to get the choke off as soon as possible.

If the choke is completely off and you're up to operating temp for at least 10 min and it's still idling high it needs to be adjusted or you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Jay

·
Registered
928 Posts
I warm up my bike every morning now just like above. I do it while I'm wiping all the dew off of it. Doesn't take long before I have it back down to reg idle/throttle. Might take a couple mins total.

·
Registered
18 Posts
do you have the fuel injection modle or the carb modle? here in sa we get the FI modle

i had a similar problem with my bike, where on cold start it would idle higher than normal which is about 1600 rpm for a motor that has less than a 1000 kms on the clocks.(cause in the run-in period they make the rpms higher, and they run the motor on different oil as well).

with my bike when the winter months started. my FI warning light came on and the bikes idling started getting higher on cold start, then if i rode the bike before the rpms dropped, the revs would go up and stick at 3 000 rpms.

so i took it in to the dealership where i bought it, their machanic told me that its something that he has seen before on the bikes and that there is no way to fix it or adjust the automatic choke. the only thing he could do for me was to order me a new throttle body, which at that time was still under warranty.

the throttle body on the FI modle, is a complete unit. and there is no way to adjust it.

i got the new throttle body fitted, but my bike still does that on some cold days.

thats my story regarding your problem, hope it could help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the needles or Pilot screws need adjustment for the sea level you are at. Sounds like your running lean and need a richer combination of gas to air. allowing more explosive reactions and a rising RPM. Just run the bike for a few minute and twist each pilot screw equally clockwise to lower the air being let in and CCW to let the air in easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.