Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of getting HIDs for my ninja, and i took a look around here and the thread from delta on all the various parts seems to recommend Lumenez and DDM kits. Lumenez is $200 before shipping to Australia, while DDM is $30-40, so DDM seems much more reasonable, except shipping is $61 for me :(.

The other option is to get brighter halogens, from what I've been reading on here Phillip's x-treme bulbs are good, they are around $60 here from ebay. But I also read on here someone claiming nokya lights were quite good, those I can get for $24. The final option is to try something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-Xenon-Conversion-Kit-H1-H3-H7-H11-H13-6000K-8000K_W0QQitemZ120541471847QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c10d4e467, Which is $50 shipped to me, would these be ok? or are they cheap crap that will break as soon as it is out of the box?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cool, my main issue is paying $60 postage for a $35 item, because other than that the ddm kit seems to be great.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Justin, I'm willing to bet that set you posted is very similar, if not the same as the DDM kit, except for the fact it doesn't have the DDM name on it.....

Muyo, I now also have an HID kit coming... :D

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
justin8 said:
Ok cool, my main issue is paying $60 postage for a $35 item, because other than that the ddm kit seems to be great.
Haha!! try paying $35 for a GSX-R exhaust and then pay $110 to get it freighted to Tassie!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The DDM kit is great. I have had it on my car for about 2 years now, and both my 6's have them. The only downside is the shipping from DDM. Usually what I do is order a few kits at a time and save on the shipping.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm probably going to order those ddm hids that are on sale tomorrow too. What ones did you guys order? I'm thinking 8000k 55w. Would that kind of be equivalent to 6000k 35w's for visibility? But just a bit more blue? Or maybe I want 6000k 55w's... what do you guys think?

·
Registered
59 Posts
My shipping was only $14 i believe from them for 2 kits I ordered.

Spooph what temp. you get your HID in?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I got 55W 8000K's, being that on the site they said it would look like 35W 6000K's, just brighter.... So we'll see how it pans out. I also aim to do comparisons in a dark garage, with camera on manual settings to show the difference in light produced. I have a feeling I"m going to have to upgrade to an H9 Halogen for my high-beams. I will only be using 1 of the HID bulbs, for my low-beams, and I think my the time I"m done, I'll be able to fry hot-dogs from 20 feet away... :D

They say HID's are 3x brighter than Halogen's, and I"m replacing my H7 Halogen (55W), with a 55W HID, which means the HID throws out the equivalent of a 165W Halogen bulb, I think? It might overkill, I'll see. That would effectively make my H7 high-beam useless, I think, except for the fact that it shines higher, so maybe replace that with an H9? (65W), or maybe figure out a servo rotator mount (like on BMW's), for the second HID that would become the high-beam? I'm really tired of having to go stupid slow in the mountains at night because I won't be able to see a deer in time or whatever, it's time to light the night up! I guess I could also get a clear shield, instead of an insanely dark tinted one, eh? :p

NO, I'm just kidding about that, I wouldn't fix the "tinted shield riding at night time" problem with brighter headlights, would I?

Anyways, I'm rambling, sorry Muyo. I got into researching these things again, and just kept typing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lamp_types

http://www.squidoo.com/hid-bulbs-halogen-bulbs

·
Registered
44 Posts
spooph said:
I got 55W 8000K's, being that on the site they said it would look like 35W 6000K's, just brighter
Oh wow i didn't realize it said that lol i guess i could have answered my own question.

I think i'll go with those as well.

--edit:
1. so i just realized these hids are meant for cars. How are we sure that they will fit?

2. "Our 55w HID Kit is not recommended for smaller fog light housings because they tend to concentrate a large amount of heat in a small area."...will this be an issue? i want the 55w for there light output, but don't want to melt my headlight assembly...

3. for the bulb type section, i pick the bulb that my bike takes right? so which one is it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. so i just realized these hids are meant for cars. How are we sure that they will fit?

I have ddm's kits on both my 6's and they fit without a problem. When I had my '99 R6 and I installed the hi/lo kit then I had a hard time fitting them into the stock grommets. As long as you get the basic lo kit you should be just fine.

2. "Our 55w HID Kit is not recommended for smaller fog light housings because they tend to concentrate a large amount of heat in a small area."...will this be an issue? i want the 55w for there light output, but don't want to melt my headlight assembly...

The 55w kit is a bit overkill for my taste. The 35w kit put out A TON MORE LIGHT than the stock bulbs so I'm happy with it. I personally don't know too many people that have put on the 55w kit since the 35w kit is plenty bright

3. for the bulb type section, i pick the bulb that my bike takes right? so which one is it...

If I'm not wrong, the new ninja's take the H7 bulb. The only thing I would recommend is getting the slimmer kit (39.95) so you will be a little more flexible on the mounting option

·
Registered
59 Posts
8000K 55W will blind everyone haha

I got the 35W, I'll see how that is

And xzpolkix our bikes take H7 for both high beam and low

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the replies you guys, very helpful. However i couldn't let you get off that easily... so my next question is this:
How about these? http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=107&parent=61 I didn't realize they had them. Is there much difference? Are they better suited to bikes? I feel like I should just get these to ensure they fit perfectly.

--Also, I realized my 2nd question from my previous post was wrong. That was talking about fog light housings. So putting the 55w's in the little ninja shouldn't be a problem I don't think, unless the ninja's headlight housing is as small as that of a fog light which i don't believe it is.

·
Registered
664 Posts
justin8 said:
What if, just maybe, there was another forum member from Brisbane who would go halves in a double kit with you? So you buy the two bulb kit for ~$40 with $60 shipping and we split that halves. HID for the low beam and then get an upgraded halogen for the high beam.

That way you spend ~$50 (same as the eBay crap) but get the DDM quality.

'Cause I'm totally up for that!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Coinslot, interested in the "car" version, 55W, 8000K, H7? If not, I'll just keep the other one for a different moto.... :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cossitt said:
Thanks for the replies you guys, very helpful. However i couldn't let you get off that easily... so my next question is this:
How about these? http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=107&parent=61 I didn't realize they had them. Is there much difference? Are they better suited to bikes? I feel like I should just get these to ensure they fit perfectly.

--Also, I realized my 2nd question from my previous post was wrong. That was talking about fog light housings. So putting the 55w's in the little ninja shouldn't be a problem I don't think, unless the ninja's headlight housing is as small as that of a fog light which i don't believe it is.
Thats the ones I and everyone else on KawiForums ordered

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CoinSlot said:
'Cause I'm totally up for that!
Now that idea I like!

Thanks for all the replies guys, i've just been out on my bike and in my car cruising around for the past few days and not near the computer to read it all until now :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
spooph said:
Coinslot, interested in the "car" version, 55W, 8000K, H7? If not, I'll just keep the other one for a different moto.... :)
whats different about the car version? is it just a bit bigger?

·
Registered
26 Posts
justin8 said:
whats different about the car version? is it just a bit bigger?
"This is the same as our highly regarded automobile systems." - what it says right under the picture of the "motorcycle" kit
As long as you get the $39.95 "car" system then you will get the same kit. Both come with the slim ballasts and lifetime warranty as long as you don't cut up the wires during install.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts