Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Welcome!

General tips when buying anything really. Do your research, get histories, warranty work, servicing. See if there are any signs of repairs, scratches, dents to frame. Check condition of tires (look for balling of rubber and peeling from track or heavy race use).

Check colour of fluids, general wear and tear. Get all the keys for the bike, all manuals and service books.

Be happy with your purchase!

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

definitely keep an eye out for some damage, most 250s will be dropped in their lifetimes however if there's a couple of scratches you might get a deal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. There are two in particular. Both 08 models with less than 4000 miles. A black one has a small ding in the tank and a red one which has a small scuff. The red one I can get for 2300 with a helmet and jacket, the black one comes with a helmet for 2500.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
First, welcome!

Second, I'd go for the Red one! It's a lot easier to fix/live with a scuff than a dent in the tank...

Third, Felix just about nailed it. Basically you're looking for somebody who took care of their bike. This is usually shown through records and attention to details.... A good place to also look is the chain. If it's nasty dirty, you might have some surprises. The chain is the most maintained part on any bike, and if it's in good nic, the rest of the bike has probably also been checked. Another place is the forks, right between the triple trees... This is a place people usually don't wash, and you can see some build up, if there's any....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So now my dad is saying no I can't do it. I'll be 20 in august, have my own money to buy the bike. I would just do it anyways but he pays my car insurance, and gas, and school. So I don't wanna make him mad. He even had one when he was younger. Help me get him on board.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Tyman, I was 37 when I bought a 50cc scooter, and my mom was pretty mad. She lost her f**king mind when I got the Ninja the next year. I'm forty now and ride a Versys and my mom and I have agreed to just not talk about it. If the folks don't like it, there may not be any changing their mind.

Having said that, it sounds like Delta's mom is pretty cool about it, there may be some advice to be had there.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Red's faster anyway... :p
Black gets the chicks :p

My folks were against it, but I bought it before telling them :D

I then divided and conquered them, first got Dad to come to my place and I showed him the bike to quote "What the fuck have you done now". They're not exactly surprised at the stuff I do. I told him how much cheaper it would be to run and insure (compared to the 4lt 6cyl Turbo I had).

I then had him follow me back to his place so he could see I could ride, and showed mum, she was devastated, after a while she asked how fast I could go when I told her it was a 250cc she actually LAUGHED then started making jokes about how it wasn't much bigger than a Vespa.

I'm now on my second bike, and I race this one, Dad loves to come and watch and take pictures. They're still not major fans, but the see how happy bikes make me so they live with it.

Felix

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Tyman, trust me, I know your struggle. I got my first bike at 20. In interest of efficiency, let me provide you this link, so I don't have to type everything over, if you want to read my story: You can read just the first 4 paragraphs if you get bored with the rest of the article - Winter Riding

However, let me state this. You have a choice in this situation. You have a choice to show your parents you are mature and help out the situation, or to enforce distrust with them if you go behind their backs. Sometimes parents are just unreasonable, like mine were, and you just have to go out and do it. Sometimes, as with Delta's mom, she's very understanding, and Delta's cool about it, so she playes by the rules. It's your call. Depending on which way you want to go, let us know and we'll figure it out, eh?

Also, I highly recommend you take the MSF riding course, and take your parents safety-gear shopping at a local store. Also get a quote on the bike for your dad, with your insurance company, and do as much research as you can.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation has some awesome info.... For helmets, look at HJC DOT and SNELL certified. Try and get a leather jacket with armor, if it's too expensive, a textile jacket with armor.... Riding boots that are comfortable, I can recommend the A-star Harlems (and I think Felix too), and some proper non-designer jeans.... Sorry a bit of a tangent, there's just so much to say.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
So now my dad is saying no I can't do it. I'll be 20 in august, have my own money to buy the bike. I would just do it anyways but he pays my car insurance, and gas, and school. So I don't wanna make him mad. He even had one when he was younger. Help me get him on board.
So I guess I should chime in!

I started looking at the idea of getting a bike around the age of 15 - 16! Looked at the cost, safety gear, a MSF course. Basically I would just talk to my mom, most of the conversations blew up and she was pissed. Remember they are your parent(s) and they love you. blah blah blah

I secretly started saving money. Finally had enough for the MSF course (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) and my own DOT/Snell approved helmet. Anyway's I asked mom if I could take the course "TO SEE" if I liked riding. She agreed. She still didn't like the idea. That was in august of 2009! I completed the MSF course and asked mom if we could go to the DMV and get the M endorsement/permit on my license. She took me.

In the mean time I was still saving money. Ask all the guys on this forum. I had all my safety gear a few months before I even got a bike. I think this showed mom that I was serious about the bike. I sat down with her and told her that 50% of all motorcycle accidents that result in death, are from people that aren't wearing helmets. Told her the bike was safe to a point. lol

Fast forward to December of 2009:

Found a fantastic deal on a 2009 Blue NINJA 250r. Told mom about it. Told her I had the money. Told her about insurance and all that crap. She said yes that I could get the bike. Talk about a 17 year old with a bike. muwhahahahhaha

Present day:

She still get's nervous when I ride. We have a deal. I have to text her every 30 Minutes on where I'm at. I can't ride while she is at work, unless its been a pre planned event. ;D We are getting there. Plus the MC helped last summer when it was my only transportation option.

Also Spooph's blog has helped me. I make mom read it. (Spooph she thinks your hilarious) she is starting to understand why we ride.

Honesty Tyman,

Just keep talking to them! or buy all your safety gear and set it up where they can see it. Just buy something every week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. It's alot to take in but I'm going to take what I can from your advice and use it. I'm just going to be persistant and keep talking to them about it.

Switching to the topic of which bike I should get, found a blue 2008 with 5,200 miles on it with helmet, gloves, and jacket for $2200 with one small crack in the plastic that is hardly noticeable, also a new rear tire...does this one sound better than the other two?

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. It's alot to take in but I'm going to take what I can from your advice and use it. I'm just going to be persistant and keep talking to them about it.

Switching to the topic of which bike I should get, found a blue 2008 with 5,200 miles on it with helmet, gloves, and jacket for $2200 with one small crack in the plastic that is hardly noticeable, also a new rear tire...does this one sound better than the other two?
Be careful with used helmets! It may not fit properly, they could have dropped the helmet. Just make sure the internals of the bike are ok. $2,200 sounds good but a little low. As long as it's clean and good. Go for it

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Tyman, go for a red one, that's what I did!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.