Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Grass

I'm new to bikes. but ive gotten my hands on a free 08 ninja ex250 j. it has no key and has been sitting for about a year and a half. i just purchased a new battery, oil, oil filter, spark plugs, chain cleaner and lube,new tires and coolant. the locksmith will be here early next week to make my new key. ( trust me i already looked into the dealer and there is no key code on file in the system). and then ill preform all the TLC before turning it over. any recommendation during this process would be great...after getting it started i want to lift the bike back up to stock height cause I'm tall and it being lowered is awkward feeling to sit on. after that I'm working on the fairings. the left front is cracked but i have some auto body experience and i think i can salvage it..ill try to keep an update on the bike and i hope to get it rolling before spring.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Welcome aboard ... First and foremost this is an awesome forum. It can be a tad quiet but do not jump to judgement too quickly. It's worth the stay!

What a wonderful bike to have to revive. Don't quit on it. Keep us apprise of all your progress and use that search function ... It will more quickly find you answers!

Stay active!

09 ST3R

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to the site Maz, there's heaps of info here for you.
I'll send the workshop manual to you when I get home tonight unless someone else gets in first.
One thing I would recommend is stripping the carbies and giving them a birthday.
Check out the rest of the fuel lines, and also the brake lines to ensure they have not perished being left out in the elements.
Good luck with the rebuild!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I got all the fluids done. I just have really rough idel and can't keep it on I think it's cause I only put in a very little gas or maybe my carbs are clogged up...by the way any recommendations on clutch and break levers the ones I have now are chipping and the brake peddle one is bent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well for the mean time i got new ones from the dealer for cheap. i just had to replace the bent brake lever and the clutch was chipping paint.

Today was another step in my project. i repaired the cracked fairing with fiberglass putty and did a nice sand and primer for painting. they will no longer be green i'm going with different kind of color combo. and I would like to order a rear seat cowl and turn signal lights that sit flush in the faring if anyone has a good site to order from for parts send me a link please. ( no ebay) i had to many bad experiences with ebay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: i fixed the cracked fender and finished painting today i installed it....carbs are clogged i'm pretty sure :banghead: and we are about to get some type of winter mix crap so im at a hold for a min unless i get it towed to my work or i can flint stone that thing for a few miles lol

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ITS ALIVE ITS ALIVE ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!:dance::dance::dance: i cleaned the carbs today and after a nice warm up i got it running. i took it up the street and ran till 3rd gear but turned around and headed back to the house. i wish i could have kept going but i didn't want to run high speeds because it needs the new tires put on. but on the bright side, SHES ALIVEEEEEEEEEEE :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.